Emotional eating

Options
Does anyone else emotional eat?

I do. Or did. This is the 2nd day of my new eating patterns. I'm having a hard emotional day today. I just hung the phone up with my husband. We were talking. I feel so nervous today. Like on the inside...all bound up...It's very odd. I feel like I need to call my doctor. I'm so unsure today. Why is that?

I have a lot going on right now. I think my plate is full. I would normally run to my pantry to deal with my emotions, but I can't anymore. So what do I do now? OMG...I'm so nervous. I'm sorry for being negative.

A patient that I used to take care of died 2 days ago. The police called me to talk to the husband and console him because he was in shock. I helped the police track down family members. Then I stayed there and absorbed the family's crying and outbursts. I had to babysit the 11 year old and kept him away from the dysfunctional domestic altercation that was going on. I can usually deal with things like this, but it has really bothered me.

I've been having bizarre dreams about my mother who passed away 5 years ago. Most recently, I have been having these odd dreams every once in awhile...when I have them, feelings of sadness and panic resurface. I had one again last night. The bariatic team pyschologist and I were talking about it. I don't know why these dreams are happening, unless I'm not dealing with something....or the dreams are trying to tell me something that I'm not getting.

Anyway, my homecare case patients are starting to ask too much from me. My agency is getting on my last nerve....

I want to find the "easy" button and press it. Maybe this will all stop so I can get my head together.

:indifferent: Thank you for letting me vent. I'm sure this will too pass....

Maybe this is all part of the withdrawal process of bad habits....if so, then it'll pass and I'll find better ways of dealing with my emotions.

If I could, I would stay indoors all day, but I can't. I have to do a visit with a homecare patient and then go grocery shopping to buy something for dinner....maybe that's good to get out. I dunno. What do I do?

Replies

• jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Does anyone else emotional eat?

I do. Or did. This is the 2nd day of my new eating patterns. I'm having a hard emotional day today. I just hung the phone up with my husband. We were talking. I feel so nervous today. Like on the inside...all bound up...It's very odd. I feel like I need to call my doctor. I'm so unsure today. Why is that?

I have a lot going on right now. I think my plate is full. I would normally run to my pantry to deal with my emotions, but I can't anymore. So what do I do now? OMG...I'm so nervous. I'm sorry for being negative.

A patient that I used to take care of died 2 days ago. The police called me to talk to the husband and console him because he was in shock. I helped the police track down family members. Then I stayed there and absorbed the family's crying and outbursts. I had to babysit the 11 year old and kept him away from the dysfunctional domestic altercation that was going on. I can usually deal with things like this, but it has really bothered me.

I've been having bizarre dreams about my mother who passed away 5 years ago. Most recently, I have been having these odd dreams every once in awhile...when I have them, feelings of sadness and panic resurface. I had one again last night. The bariatic team pyschologist and I were talking about it. I don't know why these dreams are happening, unless I'm not dealing with something....or the dreams are trying to tell me something that I'm not getting.

Anyway, my homecare case patients are starting to ask too much from me. My agency is getting on my last nerve....

I want to find the "easy" button and press it. Maybe this will all stop so I can get my head together.

:indifferent: Thank you for letting me vent. I'm sure this will too pass....

Maybe this is all part of the withdrawal process of bad habits....if so, then it'll pass and I'll find better ways of dealing with my emotions.

If I could, I would stay indoors all day, but I can't. I have to do a visit with a homecare patient and then go grocery shopping to buy something for dinner....maybe that's good to get out. I dunno. What do I do?
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Breathe :smile: I think most of us have been emotional eaters at some point. You are not alone. Find something to do with your hands. Getting out is a good idea. Go for a walk. Call a friend. Stay strong. You can do it!

:heart: Kels
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    Thanks. :smile:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    First off, take a big, deep breath! Innnnnnn....and outtttttttt..... Ahhhh... Now, remember that you are only one person and you need time for you. While you're out shopping today pick yourself up a little pretty bouquet of flowers and arrange them in your favorite vase and put them in a room that you will see them the most. This should cheer you up a bit and remind you that it's okay to do things for yourself. It sounds like you do have a lot on your plate right now. The dreams seem to be disturbing you quite a bit. Have you thought of talking to someone to maybe help you sort through your emotions? I'm an emotional eater but have tried to figure out other ways of dealing with my emotions. I'll work out sometimes, sit quietly and think of why I'm feeling the way I am and try to work through it myself others...sometimes a good friend is perfect to listen and help me realize that I just needed to have the support of someone else while I rationalize my feelings. Keep your chin up and know that you're not alone. If you want to do some emotional eating maybe try taking a walk, vacuuming, folding some laundry, or something else first before you put something into your mouth. We're here for you if you need anything at all!
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. I too am an emotional eater and I will be totally honest with you..... If I can curb it with gum (which is usually what I try first) or a fruit then great, if not I will eat what it is what I want - chips, chocolate or whatever. I find its easier to cave in and have what I want/need rather than stand there with the cupboard or the fridge open just eating everything. You just have to find what works for you. Its good that you can recognize that you are emotionally eating rather than thinking your hungry. Being an emotional eater is a trap. It makes you feel better when you are doing it but then you have remorse when you are done.
    If at all possible, try getting away from the situation for just a few minutes (even if you have to sit in the bathroom by yourself) or stepping outside for some air and think about what it is that you want to come from what you are feeling. You are obviously a very strong person and very caring too!
    We (men and women) tend to absorb everyones feelings/emotions and sometimes that makes our own lives get flipped upside down when we have to deal with other people crisis'.

Charlene :flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Bless your Heart Honey...you are under alot of stress and worry...emotional stress can do crazy things to your physical health...like everyone said, "Breath"...there are healing, deep breathing exercises or meditations you can do anytime...also I would like to encourage you to try Yoga and Bellydance...both are spiritual and healing artforms...take care of yourself, message me anytime,
    Fat Dancer
  • mccyoung
    Options
    Hi,

I know exactly how you feel... I certainly share those feelings. I too, eat when sad, angry or discouraged. I never used to be that way - I use to not eat when extreme emotions arose. But not anymore.

These days, I am totally obsesses with loosing weight. I woudl really appreciate any suggestions anyone can give me.

I try to keep busy by going to the gym, attending exercise classes etc.

You are definitely not alone!

MC
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    You are definitely not alone in your feelings. Exercise, just plain walking, will help while some of the feelings pass. I think you will find that your emotional state will change, like even out for lack of a better word, as time goes on. I find that things that used to spin me don't have that effect anymore. This will pass, and will likely come again, but will pass again. So hang in there.
  • leshik21
    leshik21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can totally empathize...It's funny how your mind plays tricks on you when it comes to food and self-image? I get into traps when I start to rationalize why I should be able to eat whatever I want because I EARNED IT. Logically, I know it is a load of crap, but when that emotional brain takes over, it's hard too resist...I have found it works to recognize when you are suceptable to emotional eating and replace that behavior with something else. Like, a hobby, tv, emails, walkiing, whatever....Usually if I distract myself for 15-20 minutes, the craving passes..............

Hang tough!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh hon, so understand too!

I'm the keeper of all that goes wrong around me:ohwell: LOL...or at least I feel like it....take it on....bottle it up...push it down....wait for it to explode! sigh....NOT GOOD!

Recently I'm learning that you can NOT do this....it can destroy your health if you don't get a handle on the stress around you....its amazing what breathing will do for you! Just taking some nice long deep breaths and even better a nice walk can do wonders for you!.....exercise is my outlet....where food used to be....instead of numbing it w/ food, I now burn it off w/ exercise....

I wish you luck and hope things settle down for you soon! you're taking on too much, but I have a feeling its because you are very caring! so if you're not going to change your ways....add some good ways to cope, like exercise and breathing and you time!

big hugs! deep breaths! long walks and quiet times for you to just unwind!
    ali
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. It's very helpful. It's good to know that some of what I'm dealing with is normal. Thanks again everyone and have a GREAT weekend!:drinker: