Measureing calories burned while swimming?

Options
I've seen a few people post really amazing calorie burns from swimming. I realize that swimming is generally considered an incredible exercise that works the whole body, and no one has anything bad to say about swimming - myself included.

But I'd like to know how you can actually measure the calories burned while swimming. To the best of my knowledge, most HRMs don't work while you're fully immersed in water, so what is the method used.

Also, I've seen some of these burns come in at over 1000 calories. How long (and at what speed?) do you have to swim to burn 1000 calories? I asked the people who ppsted the burns, but I didn't get a response. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks or has experienced!

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll speak for a friend of mine (making this 2ndhand info, but hey...)

I know that there is at least ONE hrm that does work underwater, coz he's really wanting to get it. It also counts laps for you somehow. Craziness.

But I would imagine that by far the most common answer you're gonna get is from off-the-cuff estimates, calorie charts along the lines of "If you weigh THIS much and swim at THIS level for THIS amount of time, then..."

I know that for most of my (admittedly non-swimming) activities, I just blindly take the number MFP estimates for me. I'm getting more of an idea what my body really burns as time goes on, but for most stuff I let the computer do it.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also, I've seen some of these burns come in at over 1000 calories. How long (and at what speed?) do you have to swim to burn 1000 calories?

Depends on your weight and what stroke you're doing
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Also, I've seen some of these burns come in at over 1000 calories. How long (and at what speed?) do you have to swim to burn 1000 calories?

Depends on your weight and what stroke you're doing

Yes, thanks... I was hoping that a person who regularly burns that many calories would be able to provide the additional necessary info, as well.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I know that there is at least ONE hrm that does work underwater, coz he's really wanting to get it. It also counts laps for you somehow. Craziness.

But I would imagine that by far the most common answer you're gonna get is from off-the-cuff estimates, calorie charts along the lines of "If you weigh THIS much and swim at THIS level for THIS amount of time, then..."

I know that for most of my (admittedly non-swimming) activities, I just blindly take the number MFP estimates for me. I'm getting more of an idea what my body really burns as time goes on, but for most stuff I let the computer do it.

Can you ask your friend what kind of HRM that is?
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The device she's talking about isnt a HRM, it's called a pool mate (google it) there's a pro version and a standard... it's really a swim performance monitor, but it does count calories burnt, but again this is only an estimate!, the pro one is great if your trying to swim train aswell as you can upload your swim data to your PC.

You shouldnt be too concerned about the high calories burnt during swimming or that MFP gives, or the pace, as long as your heartrate is in the 'fat burn' zone than you'll be doing exactly that (i.e calories) and the high levels of burn are backed up by reasearch by harvard medical school which estimates someone of 185 lbs will burn 444 calories per half an hour of breastroke, of course it's more for a larger person (see link... http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm)

The best stroke for high calorie burn is breaststroke, it's the most inefficent stroke and therfore uses the most energy. I personally swim 65-70minutes solid, and record 60 to account for slow downs or any short stops, my pace is generally about 2.5-3km per hour (30-40 seconds per lenght in a 25m pool) and i weigh 206lbs... this all in burns 938 for the hour!

I hope that helps!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Can you ask your friend what kind of HRM that is?

Sorry, I just came back to this. I'll ask him and find out.

[edit]

It's the Garmin 910XT: http://sites.garmin.com/forerunner910xt/#swim

Alas, it does say that underwater, it won't track heart rate data. (Although you can wear the strap if you want...)