How much are you supposed to lose?

Options
Hola!!!

I was wondering, according to my height and currently weight, I'd have to lose 26 lbs to get to a "healthier" zone for my height. I have no idea if I'll like my body at that weight and I'm not aiming to get to a certain weight or dress size. for me i'd like to get to a healthier size i like (physically) and a better weight.

Anyone else not paying TOO much attention or emphasis on the "number" but just aiming to find a healthier weight and size they like?

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I just want my BMI to be normal. Right now it's 25.6. I'm only 4'11, and I weigh 126 pounds, so I'm approx. 3 pounds overweight.
  • estrada3d
    estrada3d Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    well if you follow that chart they said we are all supposed to be really skinny. hella skinny. it is how you feel not the weight. the issue i think is people listen to "experts" that say the number is the health. this is just my opinion.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people. I just ballparked a number in the high end of a healthy BMI for my height and called it a day. I like my body right now, and while there's certainly room for improvement, there's no rush.
  • Rydersmomma19
    Rydersmomma19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Way too much! I am suppose to be 109 at a healthy weight for being 5'2. I don't think I want to be that thin. I would be fine at 130. Hell I'd be ecstatic to be under the 200's!
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Not much according to BMI I'm 5ft 7in so I should be 150 or less....right now I'm 180 so after about 30lbs lose I'll take a look at my body and see if I need to lose more or not.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5, apparently a healthy weight is between 112 and 142 for me. My aim is 148lbs. I will reevaluate if needs be, but I don't want to go any lower than 138, to be honest.

In clothes size, I'd like to be 10-12 (UK size) :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't a great measure but unless you're willing to pay to get bodyfat percentages measured then it's as good as any. Personally I aim for the upper range of the BMI recommendation for my height and weight. I think the mid-lower ranges are ridiculously low for just about anyone.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my bmi has me at 125-165 for healthy zone. i weighed 125 in 6th grade, lol, and i wasn't fat. that will never happen, but 165 might.. :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I arbitrarily picked mid-range BMI weight for my goal, (for me that's 8 stone 13 lb as I'm 5' 2.5") and decided to see how I felt when I got there. Got there in November...but in the meantime I'd taken up running. I still had some baggy bits...by then I'd stopped logging for quite a while as the weight was just coming off. I decided to see how I felt at 8 stone 7. Felt fine. I'm maintaining at 8 stone 5 or thereabouts which is a BMI of 21. I'm training for a half-marathon, running at least 20 miles a week. NB I am small-framed. What I've found is that my weight is staying pretty constant now, but I am still losing on my waist and hips (probably all going onto my thighs!).

So...see how you feel, and you may stay the same weight but carry on losing inches.