50 lbs - from obese to healthy

Options
As a 6'2" male, when I started MFP at 245 lbs I was into the obese range of the BMI chart. This morning, exactly 4 months later, my weekly weigh-in shows me 50.5 lbs lighter and just below the threshold between the "healthy" and "overweight" ranges of the chart. (I realize the chart is based on an average person, and I have no intention of stopping my weight loss just yet!) I have no before-and-after pics because I'm well past the age of trying to look hot or caring that I don't.

I rediscovered cycling earlier this year. Back in the day (10 years ago) I used to ride over 2,000 miles per year, but I had gotten away from it. This year, I've ridden just over 1,000 miles so far, and whenever I climb a hill it's another NSV; it's a WHOLE lot easier without that additional 50 lbs I was toting around a few months ago!

Also, my cholesterol was over 300 before, now it's down below 200 from eating less and better.

It's all good, and I couldn't have done as well without MFP.

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    great work!
  • Sewvixen
    Sewvixen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is SO GREAT! And I like the way you said HEALTHY... that is really the goal, right? Of course looking good is a wonderful bonus! Thanks for sharing your success and inspiring the rest of us!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...so glad you are getting to enjoy fitness...I think that's the best goal...to really enjoy you life and the activity you can do when fit!
  • heretocount
    Options
    Great Job!!! =)
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    great job, keep it up
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Way to go, keep it up you're doing great!
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well done!! All the best for the continuing weight loss!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I can't even wait to be back in the overweight range, I can barely imagine being in the healthy range again. Also, you make me want to buy a bicycle! :drinker:
  • Laurielronic
    Laurielronic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Especially about lowering your cholesterol! Mine is up in the 300 range and it has never been so high. I have started eating less meat and eating more vegetables. Did you do anything else to lower yours. I take red rice yeast. I keep wondering if I should do any more to try to lower it.
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy for you! Well done!
  • bethross1
    bethross1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job! I bet you feel great!
  • stephstar15
    stephstar15 Posts: 125
    Options
    I mountain bike, and basically lost the weight of my bike now...YES, climbing hills is so much easier:)
    Congratulations:)
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • HelenCate
    HelenCate Posts: 12
    Options
    That is excellent!! I want to start riding my bike again but I make up excuses like cars and dogs. I need to hop up in that seat and ride.
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great work and I liked that you put from obese to healthy. Gratz!
  • ajourneytoskinny
    Options
    Wow, this is brilliant! Really encouraging to hear people's stories! I'm trying to get down into the "healthy weight" section, but I'm only on my first week! Well done! X
  • Meghan5291
    Options
    im in the same boat last year i was 225 and now iam 189.6 lbs i was 187 but the holiday set me back :/ how do you deal with setbacks?
  • Ke3z
    Ke3z Posts: 7
    Options
    arellolson, I was eating so poorly before that my cholesterol was elevated a lot just because of the diet. Cutting back on the quantity and improving the quality of food turned the trick for me, although those who are more genetically disposed to high cholesterol may well need statins or other medication as well. (I was taking them; now I'm not.)

As an example, before I would breakfast every morning on an egg and a couple of sausage links with fried potatoes, or an egg with corned beef hash and a slice of buttered toast and 2 cups of fat-free milk. Now I have one serving of bran cereal with a banana and one cup of FF milk. That change alone cut over 250 mg of cholesterol out of my daily diet, and my lunches, dinners and snacks are also improved. (For example, now I snack on grapes, apples and pears instead of crackers.)

While your diet probably isn't as nasty as mine was, if you aren't watching the cholesterol intake, do so and you'll likely see a significant improvement!
  • Ke3z
    Ke3z Posts: 7
    Options
    Meghan5291, I've experienced a couple of setbacks, but only small ones, by which I mean periods when my weight held steady for a couple of weeks or even went up a couple of pounds. I deal with that by just... not worrying about it! I have faith that if I stick to the plan, eating proper types and amounts of food and getting plenty of cardio to help out, eventually my body will HAVE to burn some of the fat. So far, that has worked out for me.

Also, on days when I do a large amount of cardio (like a bike ride that lasts 3 or 4 hours), I deliberately don't use all of the calories I've "earned." That way, I know that if I end up going over on another day, I'll still be OK. (But I still strive not to go over on any day.)

It's a long-term process, and you can't stress out over a period of a few days or even a couple of weeks where you seem to have stalled out. Just keep plugging away, following your program religiously, and eventually you should see the effect.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!