too few calories?

Options
I am having a strange problem that I haven't ever really had before...
Since I've been exercising and eating more healthy, I've been having a hard time eating the total 1200 calories allotted for me. I know that this can send your body into starvation mode and I don't want that, but I get full off of 800-900 calories a day, and I'm still full when I wake up in the morning and I have to force myself to eat breakfast.

Is this normal?...or is it just me?

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am having a strange problem that I haven't ever really had before...
    Since I've been exercising and eating more healthy, I've been having a hard time eating the total 1200 calories allotted for me. I know that this can send your body into starvation mode and I don't want that, but I get full off of 800-900 calories a day, and I'm still full when I wake up in the morning and I have to force myself to eat breakfast.

Is this normal?...or is it just me?
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time with this, too. Once you get used to eating lean proteins and high fiber foods, your body feels full longer. I was also having a hard time dropping weight after some time of not hitting my 1200 calories. I decided to do an experiment and up my calories to 1300-1500 (with exercising) per day. I ended up losing 4 pounds the first week doing this. I just added a couple extra snacks. A favorite of mine, if I'm super low in calories, is an apple with reduced fat peanut butter. It's almost 300 calories and is good for you! It's really important to give your body the fuel (calories) it needs to function and keep your metabolism going.
  • mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did, and had, the exact same results as Kristie874. Its funny to think you need to eat more to lose more, but somehow it works!!

Good Luck Caroline!!
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    i know exactly what u mean.. i physically cant get to 1200!!! i actually find it hard to get to 900 and i dunno what to do! :frown:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You're in starvation mode!

My nutritionist informed me that one of the first symptoms of starvation mode is that your appetite disappears.

Try to eat calorie dense, but small foods.

Here are some suggestions (all of which are from my vegan friends)

a handful (12) walnuts: 185 calories
    2tbs of peanut butter with one apple: 280 calories
    almond milk, 8oz: 90 calories
    10 macadamia nuts: 190 calories
    banana: 80-100 calories, depending on the size
    essentially, any kind of nut helps
    and my favorite calorie and good-fat powerhouse: the avocado 300 calories, depending on the size.

None of these feel "heavy" or stuffing. I was WAY undereating when I started logging here. I went to see a dietician because I was on the last ten pounds of a large weight loss and had stopped losing. I showed her my food diary (notebook) and her first words were: "clearly, you're not eating enough."

Since I've started eating more, I've lost the last ten pounds, have more energy and now have the strength to add weight training.

Space out your calories. Please, please, please eat. Otherwise, you'll lose muscle tissue! Your heart is a muscle! You can literally die of heart failure from prolonged undereating.

Sorry if this is preachy, but I've been there and now I feel so much better.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't get this....I know a lot of people have said this but i wish i had that problem....I always go over or at least want to.
  • doglvr_75
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try...I don't have much to lose, but it is coming off very slowly and I, too, have found it hard to eat the 1200 calories....i've been eating under 1100...I thought it was my age...(I am quite a bit older than y'all)....:smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey all...I guess I will give my 2 cents! :)

I have lost 63 lbs since early September and the majority of the time, I was eating anywhere from 1500-1650 calories a day. I was losing anywhere from 2-4 lbs a week, 3 being the average. I started at 270 and am at 207 now so I have lowered my calories, but only to 1400-1500 so I am far from starving. My weight loss has slowed to about 2 lbs a week (still great!!) and also that can happen when you have already lost a lot. BUT, part of me is wondering if lowering my calories has caused my weight loss to slow down too. Interesting! I am not starving by any means, but even lowering your calories by 100 or so can cause your body to react.

Anyway, my point is that you CAN eat enough to feel full and content and still lose weight. And for those that are having problems eating enough, you definitely are in starvation mode. Please try and get more calories into your body.

Tami