Help understanding protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Totally ok to be over on protein. Good for you actually :)

Why is it good to be over on protein?

Because our goal is weight loss in the form of fat loss. I would like to keep as much muscle as possible in the process of dropping weight. If my options are only to lose muscle or stay big, I'd rather stay big and have some muscle mass to me... *shrug*

So why is it good going over? You posted it I'm just curious and not interested in Internet links to other sites if you'd care to explain?

I did explain it. AND posted a link that explains it in detail. Just because you're too retentive to read it, don't act as though I didn't answer.

THE VALUES THAT MFP GIVES ARE TOO LOW. IT ISN'T ACTUALLY AN EXCESS OF PROTEIN!

Maybe the caps will help??

Here are some excerpts from the article WITH VALID RESOURCES TO RESEARCH, since you won't click the link *rollseyes*
    A significant body of scientific evidence indicates that protein levels far higher than our government’s suggested levels of intake are optimal for weight loss1, as long as you simultaneously decrease carbohydrate intake. A minimal target amount is three-fourths of your ideal body weight in grams of protein per day, ranging up to three-fourths of your actual weight in grams of protein per day.

For example, if you should weigh 160 pounds and you do weigh 200 pounds, then your goal for protein intake is in the range of 120 to 150 grams of protein per day. Since each gram of protein is four calories, this means 480 to 600 calories per day from protein. This is around thirty percent of your calories from protein (based on a 2000 calorie diet).

The FDA says you need 50 grams of protein per day (200 calories), based on a 2000 calorie diet, or ten percent of your calories from protein. The FDA bases its guidelines on only one aspect of protein need, nitrogen balance. Nitrogen, found only in protein, is a fundamental molecule required for building body structure and DNA synthesis.

The FDA’s goal is to make sure you have enough dietary protein so you don’t wither away. That’s nice, but nitrogen balance as the only criteria for protein intake ignores the role of protein as a signaling molecule2 in metabolism, especially in regard to how your muscles function. It ignores the amount of protein needed to preserve muscle during weight loss and facilitate fat burning. In fact, the FDA gives no guidelines to explain how much quality protein you need for exercise, stress, blood sugar3 support, or to help stabilize muscle and blood sugar as you age4.

. . .

My recommendations for weight loss, based on helping thousands of people lose weight, is to consume thirty percent protein (600 calories), thirty percent carbohydrates (600 calories), and forty percent fat (800 calories). Do not snack and do not eat after dinner at night. Eat either two or three meals a day.

. . .

One of the key researchers in this area is Donald Layman, PhD6, from the University of Illinois, who has published many papers on the subject. He has found that the high protein, leucine-rich diet, in combination with lower carbohydrates (150 grams or 600 calories per day) is effective to support weight loss, blood sugar metabolism, and a variety of factors that impact cardiovascular health.

His research points out that during weight loss our bodies can easily lose muscle mass (and bone for that matter). Leucine has a direct signaling effect on muscle that prevents muscle loss during weight loss. This means that on a high-protein diet, the weight that is lost is mostly fat, not muscle. Whereas on a high-carbohydrate weight-loss diet, much more muscle is lost.

. . .

A major problem of lower protein-diets is just the opposite – the more carbohydrates an overweight person eats, the more fluids they retain. Further, higher carbohydrate meals stimulate leptin production too much, in turn provoking leptin resistance and inappropriate desire for more carbohydrates. Too many carbohydrates cause your willpower to be in a constant wrestling match with out-of-balance leptin. It is rather obvious from the amount of yo-yo dieting in our society that misguided leptin usually wins. The best way to win the wrestling match is to not have it in the first place – meaning eat fewer carbohydrates.

When weight is lost on a higher carbohydrate diet it is much more likely that people will hit a plateau in a few months that they cannot get past, long before the goal weight is reached. Successful ongoing weight loss is much easier, and much less prone to stubborn plateaus, when your basic diet is higher in quality protein.

. . .

Many people in alternative health are under the false impression that a high-protein diet is acid-forming, and thus bad for bones. Whey protein is actually good for bones21. 40 grams of whey protein per day for six months increased bone mineral density in young women22 by a statistically significant 1.57%, and in postmenopausal women by a statistically significant 1.21%. If you eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, along with a higher protein diet, it is never bad for bones. In fact, the research shows that low protein24 leads to bone loss. Fruits and vegetables provide the alkaline mineral buffers so that protein can work in a healthy way – including the support of bone growth. Protecting against bone loss during weight loss is very important. Whey protein is an excellent food to have in your corner.

The reasons are aplenty.

*and btw: I didn't say it's good to eat EXCESSIVE protein. I said going over mfp's protein values is good because they're SET TOO LOW to begin with.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Totally ok to be over on protein. Good for you actually :)

Why is it good to be over on protein?

Because our goal is weight loss in the form of fat loss. I would like to keep as much muscle as possible in the process of dropping weight. If my options are only to lose muscle or stay big, I'd rather stay big and have some muscle mass to me... *shrug*

So why is it good going over? You posted it I'm just curious and not interested in Internet links to other sites if you'd care to explain?

Are you bored or just looking for an argument?:yawn: