First 5k race

Options
I'm thinking of signing up for my first ever 5k race. The race is on July 22nd, which is a little over two weeks away. I'm doing the couch to 5k program and I'm currently on week 9 with only 2 more runs before I complete. I'm so proud of myself for how far I've already come because I never thought in a million years that I could actually be a runner. I'm not the fastest ever so I'm kind of nervous I might not be ready for an actual race but at the same time I'm a little excited and think I should sign up. Was anyone else ready for their first race just weeks after finishing the program?

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it. I never finished the C25K programme. I stopped doing it on week 4.

Last Saturday I ran my very first 5 mile race and have my sights set on doing a 10k on July 22nd (and a 5k on July 29th).
  • hcdawg
    hcdawg Posts: 69
    Options
    I would definitely recommend it!! I finished week 9 two weeks ago and ran my first 5k today!! I was slow (40min) but I finished and now have my benchmark for my next 5k in September!! Good luck to you!!
  • belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it!

I did the C25K program at the beginning of the year and although I didn't run an official 5K race I did run the 5K distance on the very last day of the program and it was fine. I didn't break any world records or anything - the most important thing for me was that I ran the 5K distance (I don't think I even noted how long it took me - I just know it was slow :smile: ).

I have since run an official 5K and it was great - the buzz is unreal! I am training for an 8K at the moment and also hope to do a 10K by the end of the year.
  • gonto1067
    gonto1067 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I'm in week 2 of couch to 5K, can't wait to get to where you at, keep it up!!!
  • belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend it!! I finished week 9 two weeks ago and ran my first 5k today!! I was slow (40min) but I finished and now have my benchmark for my next 5k in September!! Good luck to you!!

Well done :drinker:

I don't know if you have a training plan set already or not for the next 5K but I followed this one after I had completed the C25K training and I found it great :

http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/5Kadvbeginner.htm
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i never done the couch to 5k i ran a 5k today and did it in 40 min i am still working my way down my first one was last month and did it in 45 min. you can do it with no problems just take your time you know your own body. once you do one you will get addicted i have i am signing up for my third one now which is next week sometime. Good luck you can accomplish anything you put your mind to.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Go Roxy Go! I remember my first 5k! There will only be a first time once so go for it! You've prepared, you're ready and you will have a blast! You will have so much adrenalin the morning of the race, you will be surprised at how well you will do! Friend me and let me know how it goes!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last summer, and signed up for a race while I was doing the program, but the race was scheduled for a couple of months after I finished the program. To be honest, I wish the race had come sooner, haha. So... yes! GO FOR IT!

The thing about doing a race, too, is that you're not necessarily "competing" with the other runners. For me, it's more about competing against myself - pushing myself to get a better time than I got last time. What "place" i come in relative to the other runners is almost irrelevant. It's a whole different environment to run with so many other people - the energy and the adrenaline are incredible. It's worth it even if you don't think you're "fast"!! :)

Enjoy!!!
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I literally just finished my first 5k race about 2 hours ago. I ran it outside and on the treadmill around 15 times the weeks before the race. Go for it, you will feel so good when you reach the finish line :)
  • KathyMarie1970
    KathyMarie1970 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just go for it!!!! I ran my we one today 47:27! I'm slow but who cares. It feels so good to finish and know that I NEVER could have done that a few months ago!! Find one in your area and sign up. The worst thing that can happen is having to walk some. You can do it!
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is also on July 22! What race are you running? I haven't done the C25K..it just get out and run until I'm tired. Longest I've ran was 4K but that was right two very short breaks. I just want to finish the race.
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    Sarah I am doing the one at the Aquarium of the Pacific. Which one are you doing?