Is Kale good?

Options
2»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    kale chips are incredibly addictive and delicious, I season mine with olive oil, lemon, cumin and nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour. The only downside is the washing/drying process can be time consuming, and they need to be watched like a hawk so they don't burn.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love kale in all its forms. I think it's great just steamed. I have it in green smoothies, bake kale chips and make massaged kale salad (if you massage the dressing in it breaks the kale down a little bit so it is more tender). Some people, like my parents, tend to find it a little bitter so if you have a hard time with it it's always worth trying one of the other dark leafy greens many people are less familiar with (chard, mustard greens, collards, etc.).

You can skip the massage and let it sit in a vinaigrette for 20 minutes. Makes a kale salad great for taking to a pot luck, etc.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's one of those items that's highly loathsome but very healthy.
    COUNT ME OUT :noway:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love Kale chips, but I can't cook them correctly...they usually burn... Any ideas?
    I used to bake them at 425 and had the same problem. The last time I made them, I dropped the heat to 325 instead and they turned out perfect. I use an olive oil mister to make sure I can get oil on all the leaves without drowning them. It works well. Also, I make sure to remove all of the thicker veins so it cooks faster. The thick veins take too long to dry out.
  • Fitfortat
    Fitfortat Posts: 47
    Options
    I loooovvvvvvvvvee Kale! Its great for you, I steam it with one of those swanson broth flavor packs and I also cut it up and eat it raw in my salads. It taste like clover when raw. My mom was a natural eater so I grew up eating clover, dandelion greens, miners lettuce, but yes Kale is very tasty. Definitely try it!
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
  • mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love kale!! I juice it with apples and carrots. I eat it raw-slice really thin and add it to thinly sliced cabbage, and make a salad with it. Just marinate in some agave or maple syrup with apple cider vinegar.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Spicy Cashew Cheese Kale Chips:

1 cup soaked cashews
    1 red bell pepper
    1 cup nutritional brewers yeast
    2 lemons, juiced
    1 Tbls sea salt {pink himalaya is best, but any works}
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 habenero or jalapeño or a few little red chili’s
    2 tbls miso (any color)
    2 tbls apple cider vinegar
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1/4 cup water

1 bunch of kale

Instructions:

1. Soak cashews over night in water. Rinse and drain.
    2. Preheat oven to 300°F.
    3. Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs, rip into chip size pieces (not too big though or they won’t get crispy)
    4. Blend sauce ingredients until creamy in a: blender, vitamix, or food processor. The consistency should be in between thick and runny. Add more yeast to thicken, or water to thin out.
    5. Put kale in a big *kitten* bowl, spoon on a few heaping spoonfuls of sauce and toss to coat. I use my hands. You don’t want too much sauce on the kale or it won’t get crispy. You can leave a few globs here and there.
    6. Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet. (I use two cookie sheets). Place the kale pieces with more sauce on the edges of the cookie sheet.
    7. Bake for 30mins or until crispy (mine usually cook for 32 mins). Rotate the baking sheets at 15 mins.

(you can make tons of variations to this recipe too, depending on what you have in the house. You can throw in a packet of ranch spice, or red pepper flakes, chipotle, chili powder, or any spices you want. You can use some lime juice instead of all lemon juice. You can use regular vinegar, or soy sauce instead of miso. You can use chili oil instead of olive oil, or do half and half. So basically you can toss in anything with the cashews and yeast and it will be bomb.)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You can eat it raw in a salad. I remove the stems, then shed it, add shredded carrot and red cabbage, then dress it with avocado, lemon juice, salt and a touch of cayenne pepper. Let sit for a few minutes so that the kale wilts a little. The lemon juice makes the nutrients in the kale more bio available. You can eat the stems for the calcium content, but I don't care for it that way.

Since raw kale has a lot of flavor, you might prefer it steamed. You can also stir fry it with lots of garlic, red pepper flakes and a little olive oil.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I give kale a thumbs up ......

Wash it well (you can discard the tough stems) ...... then you can chop & add to salads ...... or soups & stews, either stovetop or slowcooker. I started eating it by adding a couple pieces to a can of store-bought soup (Amy's) ..... now I'm basing entire meals around kale LOL

The internet has loads of recipes (try Food Network) ..... I often brown up chicken ..... or turkey kielbasa or sausage ...... drain off any fat, then add white beans and/or garbanzos, kale & onions .....add chicken or veggie broth & let it simmer for an hour or two ....... makes a really hearty soup ..... and you can also add a bit of chorizo in place of kielbasa for some REAL spice !

Cheers :drinker:
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Raw kale plus guacamole or evoo + dijon mustard, stems and all for texture
    It's not ideal to eat raw kale long term...thyroid function, yada yada...just like any cruciferous
    Tastes disgusting cooked