It's Good To Be Fat (BMR)

Options
Hi folks Fatman here again.

I am a 27 year old Fatman, 265lbs 5'11. I just worked out my BMR and it's a whopping 2800 calories a day. Now since I work full time, and do a little bit of walking, at a complete guess my body must use about 3200 calories a day to function.

So if I ate on average a (seemingly mammoth) 2500 calories a day I'd lose a pound a week... Why do I see this being easy all of a sudden after so many years of sad low confident obeseness?

Am I missing something?!

Replies

• ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Maybe just being more aware of what you eat?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of us are convinced we have to suffer to be thinner, instead of just eating a bit less naughty foods and a bit more healthy foods.
  • Pentdad
    Pentdad Posts: 23
    Options
    yeah susan I agree with that- people want to lose 2 stone in a month rather than a pound a week, so they give up. Probably because so much else in life is quite easy and done for us these days.
  • HUNGRYHIPPO68
    HUNGRYHIPPO68 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to say i am happy to lose half a pound a week a loss is a loss but i am more focussed now on eating healthy for good with the occassional treat xx
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think slow and steady is better for the long run.

Sure I have been at this since January and have only lost 24 lbs while I see others have lost 70, but I have lost my 24 and not felt deprived at all and have energy etc.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My husband eats over 2600 calories/day to lose about 1.5 lbs/week. He's 6'1" and 270 lbs.

When you look at the calories of some of your faves, you'll see why it's easy to gain. I am 5'7" female and I eat 2100 calories/day on average to lose 1.5 lbs/week... it's plenty of food. But the other day, for instance, I went to a restaurant and ordered my favourite sandwich and chip/fries... the sandwich alone is 1140 calories and the potatoes were an additional 570. If I did that a few times a week (nevermind adding a fast food breaky and some ice cream for dessert) I'd easily gain plenty of pounds.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something?!
    Yeah... the diet industry trying to take your money.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I eat around 3000 calories daily and lose.
    When I first began, that number was 4500.
    I love to eat.
    My metabolism soars, and the notion of deprivation is loathsome to me.
    People who crash diet are dooming their progress, so eat to goal, live well and just be happy.
    You're on your way :drinker:
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yep, all my life I thought I had to cut calories down to practically nothing in order to lose weight. Now I'm finding I probably damaged my metabolism in the process and I'm trying to learn to eat the right way. I have recently found out about eating more to weigh less. You might want to check it out, if you haven't already. http://eatmore2weighless.com/

I wish you great success on your weight loss journey. :happy:
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    slow and steady is good cause you may lose it to fast and then gain it all back fast plus when u are trying to lose weight to fast you will have a LOT of loose skin
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Maybe just being more aware of what you eat?

This?

I thought my calorie allowance was huge at first but as I progressed I realised quite quickly how I was putting on the weight - portion control (or rather, lack of!) x
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Dont forget for those wating high amounts like 4000, they will be doing a huge amount of excerise to be able to eat that and still lose weight, no one could eat that amount and not out weight on.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yep I started at 294 lb and was amazed at just how much stuff you can eat. When you eat cleaner and make a few sensible choices those 2000+ calories can go a long way. Of course counting it all and making the right choices seems to be key.