How do you measure your body fat % ?

Options
I have been reading that body fat percentage is just as important than the number on the scale. But how do you measure it?

My colleague says that she has a body fat percentage calculator on her scale, but how does that work? Is it being measured through your feet??

I've hit a plateau so I've decided for the next few weeks I'm going to stop worrying about losing pounds and focus more on getting fit and healthy, so it would be really helpful to know this.

Thank you!

Replies

• Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Bf% calculators on a scale can be very inaccurate. Using technology such as a "bod pod" is the most reliable but finding one & paying for it's use can be an issue. Skin fold calipers are most commonly used but have to be used properly. In terms of your weight loss, the scale can be very misleading. Take progress photos and keep track of how you look and feel. In the end, that's what it's all about right?
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There are several body fat calculators available at this link:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

They use different criteria, so they may result in quite different results. The military one is the "strictest" so a lot of people use it, so they know for sure they're not under-estimating their body fat.

Using calipers or water displacement are more accurate, but require special equipment. Calipers are not expensive, but they require another person helping you, and some instruction on how to do it.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
  • JDhi5
    JDhi5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Amazon has body fat calipers for very cheap.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bf% calculators on a scale can be very inaccurate. Using technology such as a "bod pod" is the most reliable but finding one & paying for it's use can be an issue. Skin fold calipers are most commonly used but have to be used properly. In terms of your weight loss, the scale can be very misleading. Take progress photos and keep track of how you look and feel. In the end, that's what it's all about right?

I agree with this. I've owned a scale made by Tanita for over 5 years that gives weight and body fat percentage and only rely on it for an approximate number, not an exact one. I'll add that right now it tells me I'm at 24% body fat whereas back in April when I first started using MFP and losing weight, I was at 31%. But again, it's all about how you look and feel.

Good luck !
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    By looking in the mirror and saying ''CRAP! I'm Fat! '' :laugh:
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options