Independence Day and Other Holiday Dinners, oh my!

Options
This is just a general thread for tips and advice on what to do to to help avoid gaining pounds back after your families (or you) put a large heaping plate of fatty deliciousness in front of you.

Anything helps, and it doesn't have to be a large idea or extremely specific.

Fire away!

Replies

• celmes11
    celmes11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in eating before I go to holiday meals. Fill up on something that has fiber, protein, some veggies etc. That way when you get to the "deliciously bad for you stuff" you just will not want as much. Also, make something healthy to take with you to share with your loved ones, show them that healthy eating is easier to do then they might realize!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Will power! Don't eat it justbecause its there. Make good choices. And, I am about to quote doc mcstuffins, a kids cartoon..... stop when you are full. My daughter says this all the time "I stopped when I was full."
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You won't gain pounds from one meal. You may see some water retention afterwards, but that will go away within a week. There really is nothing wrong with indulging once in a while.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Well, It is a holiday, if you eat well and ex 80/20 enjoy it! if you prefer not, eat a few bites and stop, if still hungry eat it.
    Whatever you choice, be kind to yourself:-) dont feel bad.:-) 1 day does not change a life plan;-) Happy 4th!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Im not really counting calories today...Im eating what I want but in moderation. Ill enjoy myself and get back to being strict tomorrow.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    To gain a lb of fat in one day you would need to eat about 5100 calories. Eat semi-sensibly and that probably won't happen.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    today doesn't really bother me. I love grilling out. Thanksgiving is what scares me. I love everything and I love to eat it for days.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Really, I eat before I go, so basically I am satisfied, even eating "special" diet treats before I go. I can still eat while there, I just will already have satisfied the "big" appetite of the day. I drink protein, eat greek yogurt, eat a sweet yummy PowerCrunch bar, etc. Also if appropriate, I will bring food to share which fits my diet. That way I do not get carried away by my appetite/hunger/need for macros.

Will power is cool, but sometimes I need to be careful not to slam-dunk my mood....some of you know what I am talking about:wink:

Have a great day...I'm off to a bbq w/friends...Happy Independence Day!
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    This is just a general thread for tips and advice on what to do to to help avoid gaining pounds back after your families (or you) put a large heaping plate of fatty deliciousness in front of you.

Anything helps, and it doesn't have to be a large idea or extremely specific.

Fire away!

I use portion control on these special days. That way I don't feel deprived, as I would if I skipped the hot digs or hamburgers (one or the other, of course). I realize I won't lose today, and might gain a little, but I am in this for the rest of my life so tomorrow I'll be right back at it. I managed to lose weight Thanksgiving week and over the 2 weeks that include Christmas & New Year. Sure I ate a few Christmas cookies... just not a whole tin! Enjoy the day while being reasonable and don't beat yourself up over one day. Use it to insire you through the rest of the week and into next week.