Can I lose weight on Prednisone?

Options
Hi,

My name is Odetta and I am currently around 250 pounds. To make a long story short I was hospitalized with a rare form of pneumonia called BOOP. I was in a coma for several days and am luck to be alive. I now am back home and on oxygen 24/7 till my lungs heal. I am on 40mg of Prednisone daily and I have diabetes Type II. I desperately want to loose weight. Currently I'm in pulmonary rehab twice a week for 2 hours and I'm trying to exercise at least two other days during the week on my own. The hardest part for me is controlling my eating because Prednisone makes me hungry. I try to snack on oranges, apples, apple sauce and jello, which are probably not good choices because I'm hungry all the time. I indulged a little today with cake and ice cream because today is my birthday. Is it possible to loose weight while taking Prednisone? If so, how? I'm open to suggestions as it has not been easy.

Replies

• _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Yes. And you're right, it's not easy. You should try snacking on vegetables and protein instead of all the fruit. I assume that's not great for the diabetes. Also the vegetables will allow you to eat much more, with fewer calories. Protein will make you feel fuller than the sugars in the fruit. Keep chicken cooked up and shred some on a salad, or just nibble on it. 10 to 20 nuts once or trice a day will also help satiate you.

Mostly concentrate on your health, not your weight. As your doctor is he/she has any suggestions.

And, tough as it is, sometimes you will just have to feel hungry.

I hope your lungs heal quickly and you feel better soon! Good luck!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I really think you should be asking these questions of your doctor, not us. I wish you well.
  • Mizzshy1
    Mizzshy1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate Predisone , it makes me extra hungry and puffy. I would try focus on maintaining weight , and not gaining until you finish the cycle.Most of all I think you should concentrate on your health and getting well. When your 100% then think about weight loss.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel for this poster. I've been on it for over a year and it's not enough for some of us to just "wait it out" and try to lose weight when we get off the prednisone. It's extremely difficult and frustrating! I am there with you. I hope we can both get through this and lose some pounds.
  • Rowdy00
    Rowdy00 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am on Prednisone as well and it looks like I will be on it the rest of my life. I have gained 12 pounds since December and now it's time to get this under control. My heart goes out to you because it will be difficult but my docs say that it is possible to lose while on Prednisone. Maybe we call all help each other with this challenge.