I found an easier way to lose weight

Options

Replies

• kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    :) I wish everyone were as positive about lower carb as you are! I made that same discovery myself almost 2 months ago...

I followed the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, worked out for 90 minutes 3-4x a week ( 65 cardio, 25 strength) and barely managed to lose 7 pounds. As a matter of fact, I spent 2 months losing and gaining the same 3 pounds! Then I decided to try to cut carbs since I lost weight that way so easily when I was diagnosed with IR in '04. The first week I lost 4.8lbs..and since then I have lost an average of 1.3 pounds every.single.week!

So eating whatever I wanted as long as it fit within my calorie goal, I lost 7 pounds in 3 months...but by cutting my carbs down to 100g NET per day, I am losing 7 pounds per MONTH. How horrible is a diet where I naturally eat lower calorie foods to the point where I *have* to eat a FiberOne brownie with 2T of peanut butter on top for a bedtime snack? Yup, my calories are so low, I have snack like that to boost my net calories!

ETA: the funniest thing? My 90 minute workouts are no more...I was having too much trouble keeping my net intake up, so I cut my cardio down to 35 minutes, and I'm STILL losing at the same rate!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! BUMP BUMP BUMP!
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been trying my best to eat cleaner and I know it's definitely been when I lost the best numbers! It does work and I'm going to look up the resources you mentioned since I'm still new! :)
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my carbs between 80-100 and yes it's working for me im losing bout 3.5 lbs a week just from lowering my carbs. I love my bread but its better to be healthy and live long than eat bread/rice/pasta.
  • blkasper
    blkasper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends who are clean eaters, Paleo, stay away from wheat (aka Wheat Belly Book) etc. They do cross fit or high interval training type workouts. Not plain old cardio on machines. They eat nothing from a bag or box. No wheat, pastas, rice, white potatoes. They try to eat all organic (when possible) whole grian fed meats, veggies, fruits, no dairy. They swear they feel better, have more energy and lose weight! I try and then get sucked back into diet processed foods!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean, and slow carb.
    By all accounts I'm sorta primal I guess, though I've never tried for that.

I do pretty well except for some snacks (cheddar popcorn from Trader Joes, and wine).

I try to fuel my body. If I add a few snacks, I'm okay with that.
    My body doesn't love breads etc, so I don't eat a lot of those.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • blkasper
    blkasper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They say you get enough natural carbs from your fruit. YOu dont need the bad carbs such as from pastas and grains, especially the bad wheat that has been genetically changed to be easier to grow and be mass produced for cheaper costs.
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've started the 100g carb thing this week and it's going pretty well. The only trouble is I am finding it hard to reach my 1200 cals without going over on the fat. Trying to keep to low fat meats (turkey, chicken) and mixing that in with a fair bit of quorn/meat free stuff but still struggling. See on here that some of you seem to be eating quite high fat - my mfp is set at 100g carb, 100g protein which gives 40g fat - can I get away with more fat?

5' tall
    doing 1200 cals and not eating back exercise cals (was doing 1600 reset prior)

Any thoughts anyone?
    Thanks
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I lost about 180 totally worthless lbs in 2mins when I got rid of my ex.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I guess you could consider me in the lowER carb department, but it's not something I necessarily did on purpose. The doctor proposed cutting some carbs and a few other changes as a result of my PCOS. Mainly, instead of making a huge cut, I replaced all of the pastas with wheat pasta or veggie pasta, and all of my breads with wheat breads. And yes, I did eat a little less on the carbs (I grew up poor, so all I knew were pasta dishes, so yes, it wasn't a bad idea for me to learn some other food groups). I personally made a commitment to never go on a "diet" again. My changes are sustainable, and I am still losing weight. I have a delicious sandwich every day (I love sandwiches!). I have pasta a few times a week (I just get veggie pasta and veggie pasta sauce and eat up!). I couldn't ever give these things up, and if I tried, I'd be binging in no time!!
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Veg low carb, I do dairy and eggs, so that helps. Really the only diet I've seen consistant results with and I feel amazing. Carbs love me, but I don't love them!!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Think I am going to try this...
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I lost about 180 totally worthless lbs in 2mins when I got rid of my ex.

I dropped about 260 the same way. Picked up an extra 165 a year later, but that weight is well worth it. LOL
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know a little about those diets and they probably are healthy, but there has been too little research to tell if they are healthy over a long period of time for me to consider this type of diet. I don't by anthropological data from the paleo era as evidence that it's safe for us because we simply don't and can't live or eat as the caveman did. We may keep our macros where it is theorized they did, but the food itself that we eat is very different and our lifestyle is very, very different.

Plus, I wouldn't want to give up my favorite foods unless there was a medical reason to do so. I've eaten a moderate carb diet that includes whole grains for decades and I've made it to age 51 without ever developing high cholesterol, insulin resistance or any other disease, syndrome or diagnosis. The only time I gain weight is when I stop exercising regularly.

Again, I have no reason to believe these diets are unhealthy. It is partly the lack of evidence that makes these not appeal to me. Plus my love of plant based foods, including legumes and whole grains, the wealth of evidence that this type of diet is healthy long term, and my own personal experience that leads me to believe I am already doing what is best for me.

I wish you luck in doing what is best for you.

Well said! Thanks for sharing
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and still losing. I think some of it has to do with metabolism but I like the idea of not have to cut out something from my meals. I do not eat a lot of sugar or fat, just the recommended amount of fats, and good fats like olive oil etc.;)
    At 5ft2 I was content at 130lbs exercising 4xs a week... until my dr said I had high cholersterol.
    I found MFP and I started tracking- I barely had cholesterol in my diet! So I cut back and ate low fat and lost 10lbs. I knew there had to be a better way.
    I found it. Read about "clean eating", "primal blueprint", "Mike's Daily Apple". You should be eating more protein and less carbs!
    Ladies- keep both around 100 daily. I can eat eggs/bacon, real butter, heavy whipping cream in my coffee, a little fruit, veggies (big deal!), and still lose weight.
    It's 80%/20% meaning you can eat clean most of the time- that should explain my diary today, lol.
    Do me a favor and don't "friend" me until you've tried it for a week...
  • bev214
    bev214 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It' NOT an easier way for people to lose weight who like to actually eat foods that are CULTURALLY high in carbs, fat and sugar. Unless this is an eating plan you want to stick with the REST OF YOUR LIFE, then the weight loss may be just temporary. Introducing any sugar or carbs back into the diet would more than likely also increase weight.
    Easiest way to lose weight is to eat a way you can do the rest of your life at a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Deserves to be repeated.
  • sugarsnacker
    Options
    bump
  • bev214
    bev214 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!