What do YOU do when you plateau?

Options
I've heard a lot of different advice regarding plateaus. My trainer said that WHEN it happens, just increase the calorie intake for a few days, and then essentially "start over." That's the general plan, I guess.

I work with a lady who does low-carb/high protein, and whenever she hits a plateau, she eats 4 apples a day for a week. Seemed a little too easy to me, but she's lost 100lbs, so who am I to argue?

Just curious what everyone else does.

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I cry a bit first as I'm a softie, lol. Then I try to change my eating or my exercise in some way or another. I'd like to hear what everyone else does too. :flowerforyou:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    the thing with plateaus is it's 99% of the time, getting into a routine and not changing it.

Think of it this way, mail carriers do 8 hours of pure cardio a day, yet they are not the pinnicals of fitness despite doing more exercise than 99% of the people on here trying to lose weight. Why? Because they do the same crap each and every day. So why would you expect the body to do anything else BUT not change..

When you plateau, look at your template. Has it changed at all the last few weeks? Prob not. Start there with fixing. And don't do the 'eat 4 apples a day' BS. Thats not doing anyone any favors and is stupid.

Make it a goal for EVERY workout to do either more weight, or more reps, or both than last time you worked out. I assure you your weight loss will not plateau.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of different advice regarding plateaus. My trainer said that WHEN it happens, just increase the calorie intake for a few days, and then essentially "start over." That's the general plan, I guess.

I work with a lady who does low-carb/high protein, and whenever she hits a plateau, she eats 4 apples a day for a week. Seemed a little too easy to me, but she's lost 100lbs, so who am I to argue?

Just curious what everyone else does.
    That's quite an increase in carbs for someone low carbing, so it may well help break a plateau.
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    Cycling calories, meals, intake of carbs ,protein, natural sugar ,fiber - without planning it.

whenever this happens to me i eat toast instead of fruit for breakfast because i have been denying the toast and having apples beacuse i know its what i should do on the diet so when i switch up my intake of carbs and other food groups by eating whatever is available or i want to eat for that meal it snaps out of being in the mode of plateauing.

all foods with nutrients and still not over 1500 calories for the 2 days.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I usually up my calories to what my "goal" calories according to mfp are and work out more. Always room for more work outs for me!
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    can i add in there eat apples
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike, and I fit 2 or 3 2-3 hour bike rides into my week...It burns so many calories, I usually add a large order of McDonalds Fries to one of my meals on cycling days, and I still lose weight that week.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I've never hit what I'd consider a true plateau. I expect that occasionally I'll go back up a pound, and that I will not lose every week.

However, when I feel like my progress is slowing, I make sure my fiber is still good. Other things I check occasionally are that I periodically change my exercise routine and increase it. (As you lose weight and get more fit, the same amount of exercise will burn fewer calories. And the same exercise over and over won't burn as much as something new.) Also, I might weigh some foods that I've gotten used to "eyeballing" just in case the portion size has snuck up. I've also noticed that I lose more eating things I make than with food prepared by others (restaurants, prepared foods, etc.).

Good luck!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I zig-zagged throughout weight loss so rarely plateauted - though if I was paying close attention I might have gone 3 or more weeks staying at the same weight. I just didn't let it bother me.....persistence is key.