Opinions on spot corrections in the gym?

Options
So here's the deal... I'm a poor college student who can't really afford to go to a gym that allows me to be "intense" (for lack of a better word)....

I go to Planet Fitness. There's nothing wrong with PF but it's just not for me so I suck it up.

In going to the gym, I often see people there who are either new to lifting or aren't really new but never cared to perfect "technique". I suppose after you've been at a gym for a while you pick up a knack for identifying the new people. I'll see some people put up dangerous amounts of weight that they clearly can't control or others who think they have an idea of what to do when in reality they aren't going to make any progress.

Then my mind starts to wander... Maybe they have a plan that, out of a third-person's observation, cannot be recognized... or what if I came up and was like "oh hey, you might want to try this" -- but then they'll think "oh, what a jerk that guy is for getting all up in my grill while I'm getting my sweat on!"

What would you do if you were either:

a) In my shoes

b) The individual who looks like they need advisement

or is it really none of my business and I should not pay any attention to anyone else but myself.

JUST CURIOUS, not trying to come off as self-righteous.

*edit* I'm not a professional trainer but I've been lifting for 6 years now -- I'm sure not all of my "techniques" are proper but I have enough confidence in my ability to be able to help people

Replies

• drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't say anything. They may sound the alarm and kick you out
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    This is one of the things, that unless they are reasonable people, might not turn out good. They could either have been taught incorrectly, just not know, or think they know the correct form. Depending on what it is depends on the response you will get from them. It also depends on how new at weight lifting, not knew to the gym. You can always suggest it if you think it could cause harm to the person, even if they give you attitude for it. Its better to inform them, rather than letting them fail. The way you suggested sounds like a good approach, being humble by suggesting instead of telling goes a long way.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There is a woman in my (office) gym who has terrible, terrible form - I was really worried for her. I ended up chatting with her in the hallway and we started talking about our goals. I mentioned, "I really want to work on my form, I injured myself in the past, so that's what I am focusing on now." Turns out she KNEW she had bad form, and I worked out with her once. I have been lifting for years, but i don't look super intimidating in my post-baby body, so maybe it's easier for me to "correct" people!

I have had the experience of having someone come up to me to "correct" me but it turned out he just didn't know the exercise I was doing. I would be cautious, but feel free to start a conversation. Ask about their workout or whatever, or just "model" really good form. It hurts to hold your tongue!
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I go to PF too and would welcome corrections on my technique. I'm new to resistance training in general (within the past couple of months) so if someone were to come up to me and give me a few pointers, I would be so grateful.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    agree with both ^
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish people would offer to help. I want to try new things but I don't want to look dumb doing them plus I know how form is important.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Sometimes I wish people would offer to help. I want to try new things but I don't want to look dumb doing them plus I know how form is important.

The only thing I can really say is don't be afraid to try new things. Every so often I try out new machines. I basically know what they do but have not used them prior. You might find they work the same muscles but are easier to do. Wont learn till you try.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal... I'm a poor college student who can't really afford to go to a gym that allows me to be "intense" (for lack of a better word)....

I go to Planet Fitness. There's nothing wrong with PF but it's just not for me so I suck it up.

In going to the gym, I often see people there who are either new to lifting or aren't really new but never cared to perfect "technique". I suppose after you've been at a gym for a while you pick up a knack for identifying the new people. I'll see some people put up dangerous amounts of weight that they clearly can't control or others who think they have an idea of what to do when in reality they aren't going to make any progress.

Then my mind starts to wander... Maybe they have a plan that, out of a third-person's observation, cannot be recognized... or what if I came up and was like "oh hey, you might want to try this" -- but then they'll think "oh, what a jerk that guy is for getting all up in my grill while I'm getting my sweat on!"

a) In my shoes

or is it really none of my business and I should not pay any attention to anyone else but myself.

*edit* I'm not a professional trainer but I've been lifting for 6 years now -- I'm sure not all of my "techniques" are proper but I have enough confidence in my ability to be able to help people

Personally, I would just concentrate on my own training session.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It might go over better if you get to know them first before offering unsolicited advice. And even then, it goes over better presenting the info as "I just read was xyz about lifting that was really helpful" or "I've felt a lot better since lifting in this manner" rather than "you're doing it wrong". Then it doesn't come across as a correction, but as something that's helped you that might work for them.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It might go over better if you get to know them first before offering unsolicited advice. And even then, it goes over better presenting the info as "I just read was xyz about lifting that was really helpful" or "I've felt a lot better since lifting in this manner" rather than "you're doing it wrong". Then it doesn't come across as a correction, but as something that's helped you that might work for them.
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Except getting to know ANYONE in the gym as they are working seems to be impossible since it's always perceived as "this person is being a creep" (in all ways taken literally or otherwise).

There are other times where I feel like the person at the station next to me is looking at what I am doing and I begin to think either that person is interested in what I am doing and maybe I should show them what's up or they are gawking at my form and want to correct me.

I love getting corrected. I take criticism very well (better than most?)
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    I have seen people looking too, but you know, it goes both ways, they could also think you are watching them.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If it's a complete stranger? I just let them do their thing. I find it pretty annoying when people come up out of the blue and try to tell you what to do (even if they're right). It just seems rude to me, even if they have good intentions.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person but you never know how a stranger will take it. I dont mind someone correcting my form if they know what they're talking about.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    people who think its rude for someone to correct them are ignorant. Learn to take advice. Even if its bad advice, there is no need to be rude to someone trying to help.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I am always watching other people working out. I don't do it to be a creep or anything -- there are at least 50 different machines at my gym and I only know how to use about 10 of them. So I like to see how they are used and then I will go and use it myself.

If someone knew I had a bad form and offered advice I'd surely take it. That is if they do it in a friendly manner, not something like "you shouldn't be using these if you don't know what your'e doing" kind of egotistic crap.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly it all depends on the person and you never know until it is too late. Personally, I'd glaly accept any advice. I had one random guy tell me I wasn't bending my knees enough while doing rows and could hurt my back, and I was very grateful and wish that that would happen more often.

Yet, I've seen the trainers at the gym try and correct somebodies form and they either pretend they didn't hear them or get angry at them.

If you know what you are doing, I'd consider it a service to help people - you see so many people at the gym doing things where you think you'll hurt yourself just by watching them! :tongue: But too many people are too cocky to accept help.

Perhaps you could start up an innocent conversation with them to gauge their personality and then offer help?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

a) In my shoes

Personally, I would just concentrate on my own training session.

Totally this. There are few things as unapprectiated as unsolicited advice from a stranger.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would correct my form if I was doing something wrong. I'm sure my form is awful but I just catch them staring in my direction and then turning away when I finish the set. I wish they'd just come up and tell me, because I'd never want to bother them while they're doing their thing. Of course, most of the guys in my gym spend 10% of their time lifting and 90% of their time walking around, checking their phone or their reflection out in the mirror. I break a bigger sweat than they do =/
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Maybe offer to spot them first? You could just say something along the lines of "hey I noticed you're using a pretty heavy weight, would you like a spot just in case?" or something along those lines, if you phrase things to be in someones best interest they're usually willing to take it. I honestly wish someone would help me out and suggest things, I tend to have ok form, but I would love advice from people.

I've worked out at a PF before, honestly it wasn't for me at all, just wasn't into working out there, but it was cheap, then I joined golds gym and I absolutely LOVED it, but at times it would get kind of intimidating, especially if I worked out at the same time as the people who are competitive. I currently work out at the YMCA because my mom has a family membership and I can go to one back home and near where I'm in school at. As far as offering advice I like the Y the best because all of the trainers are super nice, and are always offering help, but I also think I wear confusion on my face pretty easily. I do understand where you come from with struggling to offer help, people might get mad because often times people are not open to criticism, even if the criticism will help them in the end. So ultimately I would say offer to spot them and then from there offer advice, unless it looks like they're really going to hurt themselves, and I would honestly just be like "hey I really am not trying to be rude, but I just happened to notice that the way you're doing _____ is really going to hurt your back/knees/whatever and I just really would hate to see you get hurt and have to stop the progress you're making."
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    people who think its rude for someone to correct them are ignorant. Learn to take advice. Even if its bad advice, there is no need to be rude to someone trying to help.

Bad advice is extremely irritating. You have to remember that people are working in the gym, keeping track of reps, time, counting, etc etc. It is distracting to have someone come stop you mid workout when you have a specific plan that you're going for. If I was doing something to hurt myself and someone stopped me I wouldn't mind. If someone came up to me with bad advice I'd probably have a few choice words for them.

(By bad advice I mean something along the lines of "You know that makes women get big" or someone trying to make me mess up my form with their misinformation)