Public displays of...

Options
vade43113
vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
Exercise!!!

people-out-persp.gif

may I ask, is anyone self consciousness about exercising in public? Just wondering

Replies

• owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    oh yeah. i feel like when im skinny and lose the weight i wish to only then will i be able to go for a jog or run in public where i live.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym for this reason. I exercise at home instead.
    If I do run outside, I go so early that no one else is awake.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've had to work really hard to go out and walk/work out in my neighborhood, despite this very thing. I know that on the one side, neighbors who don't know me but see the large woman out walking in sweatpants probably know EXACTLY what I'm going for, but at the same time, I feel like I can't comfortably set foot outside my own home until I'm at a decent point where people would WANT to see me exercising.

With as much weight as I have to lose, though, I kind of had to make myself do it - I mean, where else am I going to go? and I refuse to let my fears dictate my life.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't care, but I only walk and bike, and I live near a pretty big university so you always see people out running.

But it's kind of funny... back when I was considered obese people would stop me when I was walking and ask if I needed a ride or if my car broke down. They don't do that anymore, now that I'm at a healthy weight.
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I am a big girl and I decided that I had enough to beat myself up over and hate myself for. I refuse to let myself feel self concious about working out in public. I go to the gym and I do what needs to be done. I try and think of it more like people will not judge me for being big but think I am awesome for taking a stand.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I throw pole moves in public on occasion, haha!! Stop signs are about the same circumference as studio poles... teehee... public displays of poling? :-P
  • amiguito123
    Options
    I used to be self-conscious of people seeing me while I jogged or used the exercise equipment at the local gym, and then I entered into my 50s and now I really don't care what others might think while they see me...
  • camelothosting
    camelothosting Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I go to the Gym, walk in the neighborhood and really dont give a damn what anyone thinks, Im doing this for me not them, if it bothers them then thats their deal not mine......
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    into my 50s and now I really don't care what others might think while they see me...

Yup
  • GoTakizawa
    GoTakizawa Posts: 21
    Options
    Not as much the public display as the exposure to sunlight. Lol! I am going to work on that next summer, for now working out is a challenge enough without having to deal with painful sunburn and headaches from squinting.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I used to be self-conscious of people seeing me while I jogged or used the exercise equipment at the local gym, and then I entered into my 50s and now I really don't care what others might think while they see me...

I guess I'm lucky because that happened to me in my 20's.

To be honest, I've talked to a lot of runners/ fellow gym goers, and the consensus is that nobody really cares what you're doing. If you're doing something incredible, somebody might watch for a few seconds and complement you on it, but typically they're too engrossed in what they're doing to care about what you're doing.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i dont like to run in public or wear gym clothes outside of the gym...i know we all have to start somewhere but until i do..."what diet"
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Not at all!
    Sure, I look a mess but when I'm out jogging, I feel good about me and that's all that matters :)
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    At first I did, but now, not really. I'm trying to get healthy and fit! If someone doesn't like it, there are plenty of other things to look at outdoors :smile:
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    if i go for a jog, run or swim then no.

There are certain people as in 1-2 that I don't care to work out in front of. Not yet anyway
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    At first I was, but now that I've been going to the gym it's just like "Meh, I'm gonna giggle, they see it all the time, they can deal with it." Exercising outside I'm more self conscious simply because it's just me or me and a friend out there, but again. At least I'm doing something and the people judging me are driving instead of exercising anyway. At least that's what I tell myself when I see people looking haha!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    lol!!!! kinda depends on who's watching! :D I like it only when I know what I'm doing and know that I'm doing it right! guess that comes from performing arts so much! ballet and hula and jazz... you don't go on stage unless you know the dance! :D
  • muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options
    I throw pole moves in public on occasion, haha!! Stop signs are about the same circumference as studio poles... teehee... public displays of poling? :-P

I completly lost all train of thought after this one, lol

I work out at home right now, some of that is due to being self conscious.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Nope. And no one else should either. No one at the gym cares what you look like. I can't run to save my life, so I admire even the chubbiest jogger even if they are wheezing along. Most people working out are doing just that, working out. The really fit ones will admire your gumption, the medium fit ones will remember when they were that unfit, most won't even notice you. I only notice the superfit.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I used to be super self conscious about it and refused to join a gym for this reason. I started working out at home and I just sort of got over it. It started with c25k. I don't have a treadmill, so I was running outside. I gradually just ceased to care that people could actually see me. Then it got too cold to run outside and I'm a weather wuss, so I joined a gym so I could use a treadmill. That opened the door to the weight machines, which led to free weights.