Children lifting weight.

Options
My 11 year old son wants to start lifting weights. He's not. He's to young. He jogs with me. We let him play around with 5 lb. dumb bells. I'm going to encourage him in body weight excercises. My understanding is that weight lifting can damage his frame. Cause problems with still growing and forming bones. Someone told me he should be at least 14 but really 16 and that bone growth was through at 17. So the safest age would be 17. If this is the case, why do they lift weights in high school? What age is the right age?

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    thats myth. a child can lift safely at any age. And should be encouraged if he plans to play sports. Being able to properly move his body and have a base of strength can only help him excel.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Wow. See there.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    According to Uncle Rip, it's one of the safest activities for kids. SO, who knows.
  • splashangel
    Options
    I don't know who that is. Rip.... Not rest in peace. Rip like cut. Right? I googled it. Nothing.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    My 11 year old son wants to start lifting weights. He's not. He's to young. He jogs with me. We let him play around with 5 lb. dumb bells. I'm going to encourage him in body weight excercises. My understanding is that weight lifting can damage his frame. Cause problems with still growing and forming bones. Someone told me he should be at least 14 but really 16 and that bone growth was through at 17. So the safest age would be 17. If this is the case, why do they lift weights in high school? What age is the right age?

I personally believe that someone can strength train at any age. However, I would encourage you finding someone in your area that has experience with that age child. I have seen first hand the results of improper training in youth that has led to some serious physical problems down the road. There is such as thing as too much too soon!

If it was my kid....I would stick to body weight exercises/very low weights. I don't see any reason for a kid to be doing any kind of power/olympic lifting...especially considering the level of skill needed to complete more advanced lifts.

The bottom line is, there is no one 'right age' because everyone grows and develops differently. I began lifting at 15, but I was trained appropriately so I knew what to do safely without hurting myself or stunting my growth.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This debate has been around for a LONG time. I prefer to think that a moderate approach is the way to go. Here's one person's opinion, but it's consistent with that moderate approach:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson38.htm
  • splashangel
    Options
    Oh, Wow! Thanks for the link. I kinda figured I was not the first parent to ask this. I think he will be thrilled at the idea of starting his "weight training". He can begin learning good form, sets, stats etc. He doesn't need much weight. Thanks... again cordianet.

crobl , Yea. I agree on to much to soon. He's been wanting this for a year now with a solid no from me. His Dad has just started working out with me so this has made (and dad)want it even more.