exercising after surgery

Options
i am about to have surgery next month and was told by the doc not to work out for about 8 weeks. any advice on doing this website if you can't work out? and trying to continue to lose weight?

Replies

• kkylstad
    Options
    i am about to have surgery next month and was told by the doc not to work out for about 8 weeks. any advice on doing this website if you can't work out? and trying to continue to lose weight?
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor say you could go for a walk when you are feeling up to it? When I had surgery my doc said to just take it easy for 8-10 weeks. I couldn't. I found that I had to get up and move because I started hurting from just laying there. I guess it really depends on the surgery you are having.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I had surgery in 06 and had to stop running/exercising for 8 weeks as well. It was hard but in the long run much better for me. I ate healthy during that time and slowly began small amounts of exercising...walking...yoga...until I could start from square one again in the running dept. It is tricky but you can do it...and with this site no problem! I wish I knew about it back then,...the support alone is A+

dd :flowerforyou:
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I would definently follow your doctors advice. He is the doc and knows what is the best for you. Just be sure to eat healthy while your down. I have been sick for 2 weeks now, and have been unable to exercise. I tried to even walk on the tread mill at 3.0 and started coughing to much after only 5 min. Now I am taking my time to make sure my body is ready. But I still have lost 2 pounds in the process. Good luck. Heidi:flowerforyou:
  • kkylstad
    Options
    I would definently follow your doctors advice. He is the doc and knows what is the best for you. Just be sure to eat healthy while your down. I have been sick for 2 weeks now, and have been unable to exercise. I tried to even walk on the tread mill at 3.0 and started coughing to much after only 5 min. Now I am taking my time to make sure my body is ready. But I still have lost 2 pounds in the process. Good luck. Heidi:flowerforyou:

so just by staying at you MFP intake, you are still losing without working out?
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Remember, your body is working hard to heal, so it will need additional calories, as it will be burning additional calories while it's working so hard to heal. Follow your doctor's advice, but be sure to talk to them about your concern for exercise. Typically, they want you to walk after surgery, it is usually a slow walk that they want you to do. Remember that when it comes to surgery that it's more important to heal properly from it than it is to lose weight for the following 8 weeks.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options

so just by staying at you MFP intake, you are still losing without working out?

To be honest I have not had the energy to even care about logging in. I have been so sick that I can hardly eat or even care. I have not been able to eat hardly at all but, I am pretty sure that I have got to be close to my mfp suggested level. Although I do not eat that much, for instance, yesturday I had 2 chocolate chip pancakes for bkfst w/ butter and syrup and a yogurt for lunch and I was so hungry by 6:00 I told my hubby to go get me a foot long sub at subway and it was not a low cal one. Which by the way I have never orderd a foot long sub before in my life, and I was still hungry. My poor body. I feel hungry all the time, but when you have a fever on and off for 14 days I just can't find the energy. I really have been just grabbing what I can that is fast, you know like icecream. Not a good idea.

I'm certain that my weight loss has not been a heathly weight loss and when I start logging again my body will probably put the weight back on. HH:flowerforyou:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    After surgery, you MUST follow your doctor's orders about your diet, exercise, and restrictions. I had major back surgery in 2006 and major abdominal surgery in 2007. Both times, I was given dietary advice that did NOT include cutting calories. And WALKING was to be a daily activity, but all other exercise had to wait for WEEKS (months for some things). Don't be in too much of a hurry.....treat your body well so you can recover, then you can get totally back on track.

.....now that I've done my "mom lecture".......good luck with the surgery and get well soon! :flowerforyou:
  • kkylstad
    Options
    maybe i didnt word my original question right because dont get me wrong...OF COURSE i am planning of following his orders. i just wanted to know how you can do this website w/out the workouts. and if you maintain your food intake w/out exercising....can you still lose weight?