is it better???

tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing about 30 minutes Aerobics a day and also about 15-30 minutes of strength training. And im wondering is it better to just stick to one workout a day and switch it up..

Example:

30 minutes Aerobics 3 days a week and Strength Training 2 days a week???

Or will i get the same results doing both 5 days a week???

Replies

• From what I understand, your muscles need time to repair after a work out. So, I think it is best to stagger (alternate days of aerobics and strength training) depending on what muscles you are working. But I am definitely not an expert.
  • You can do cardio every day. Pay attention to your heart rate though. Some people will do something like treadmill and go x mph for y minutes, but they keep that workout even after they get in better shape. It isn't how fast you go or how long you sustain it. What matters is how hard you have to work. Pick a target heart rate that is healthy for you and raise/lower the cardio intensity as needed to stay near that target.

You can also strength train every day, but you should avoid training the same muscles every day. Most people do strength every other day rather than worry about coming up with a specific routine to isolate various muscle groups.
  • cardio is good to do everyday (well i believe you should take one day of rest each week)
    and also is good to do longer cardio stints.
    weight training- if you do your whole body you should take one days rest in between sessions.
    OR
    I do mon- arms
    tues- legs
    wed- arms
    thurs- legs
    and friday is just cardio (of course with cardio mon-thurs)
    you have to allow recovery time for your muscles so they can build

but you can work your abs everyday.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    I do step Aerobics on my Wii fit and also do leg lifts and sit ups for strength training.. So i can do my ab work outs and cardio daily but should switch up my leg lifts for every other day?? I also take my baby on 30 minute walks 3-4 days a week... I just want to make sure im getting the best results from working out and don't want to put strain on my muscle or not tone up and lose weight..
This discussion has been closed.