Bars and Shakes

What are your favorite meal replacement bars or shakes??? What kind of calories/ protein/ fat/ carbs do they have?

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I don't ever use a bar as a meal replacement, but I really like Luna Bars and Clif Bars since they are vegan.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    If i have to, Clif builders bars. However I've found I rarely want to/need to incorporate them into my diet.

If I am going to have an almost 300 tasting thing that resembles a chocolate bar but tastes sh*ttier...*kitten* it, I'll make a sandwhich.

As for shakes? I mix whey into some of my smoothies, Crytosport or Optimum Nutrition whey is generally what I buy.
  • chris1816
    I don't ever use a bar as a meal replacement, but I really like Luna Bars and Clif Bars since they are vegan.

Many Clif bars are sweetened with honey..and they also contain trace dairy etc...so I'd double check.

Or just eat honey; honey is f*cking delicious.
  • I don't ever use a bar as a meal replacement, but I really like Luna Bars and Clif Bars since they are vegan.

Many Clif bars are sweetened with honey..and they also contain trace dairy etc...so I'd double check.

You say it like it is and it cracks me up! And I agree completely!!
    Abrianna
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member

I always check the ingredients, no worries :) I think all Luna Bars are vegan though and that's what I eat most often.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I had a protein bar (HPLC Chocolate) as a snack yesterday, mega protein hit and tastes alright too. The macros are:

45P, 14F, 6C, low sodium too!
  • chris1816

I always check the ingredients, no worries :) I think all Luna Bars are vegan though and that's what I eat most often.

Nope.

Luna protein bars all have whey.

I think your vegan superpowers may have to be taken away.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    What are your favorite meal replacement bars or shakes??? What kind of calories/ protein/ fat/ carbs do they have?

I've started making "green smoothies" to replace a meal or two a day. They are about 60% fresh raw veggies and the remaining in fruit, and sometimes green tea. Sometimes I add a little (1/4 cup per 32 oz) Silk Fruit and Protein to make them smoother. They are highly nutritious and contain a surprising amount of protein for what they are. Losing weight like gangbusters and feel energized and healthy since starting this.

I know that's probably not your question but it's a good alternative to the processed packaged shakes and bars. Those just don't seem like real food to me, although I understand they have a lot of nutrition.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    If I'm going to replace a meal I'll do:

10oz Silk - Pure Almond - Dark Chocolate Milk
    2 scoops of Syntha-6 - Chocolate Milk Shake Protein Powder (this is a blend of various proteins -- slow,med,fast).

Cals: 550 Prot: 45g Carb: 59g Fiber 7g

If I want a meal replacement-ish shake with more fast proteins, I'll take out 1 scoop of Syntha-6 and add in 1 scoop of Jarrow's 100% Whey. The cals drop by 106 (446), carbs to 46g, fiber 4g and protein only drops to 41g.
  • chris1816
    (Copying my post from an older thread)

A couple different smoothies I make, keep in mind for me the high calorie amounts are fine, and keeps me sated in the first few hours of work+gym etc and usually through lunch if I need to (and yes I give them stupid names in my recipe book)

Berry Brotein Smoothie

Dried Goji Berries - 1oz/28grams
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - 2 cups
    Fage Plain Greek Yogurt - 1 cup
    Crytosport Vanilla Whey - 1 Scoop
    Hemp Protein Powder - 3tbsp
    Cold Milled Flax Seed - 2 tbsp

600 cal
    46 carb
    16 fat
    75 protein
    14 fiber

Oh God This Smoothie Might Make Me Vote Democrat

Organic Baby Spinach - 2 cups (or 2 big handfuls, you don't need to be that precise here, it's f*cking spinach)
    Fresh Strawberries, large - 10 of these
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - 2 Cups
    Raw Chia Seeds - 2 tbsp (can substitute chia powder too)

488 Cal
    37 carb
    20 fat
    51 protein
    19 fiber
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member

A couple different smoothies I make, keep in mind for me the high calorie amounts are fine, and keeps me sated in the first few hours of work+gym etc and usually through lunch if I need to (and yes I give them stupid names in my recipe book)

Berry Brotein Smoothie

600 cal
    46 carb
    16 fat
    75 protein
    14 fiber

Organic Baby Spinach - 2 cups (or 2 big handfuls, you don't need to be that precise here, it's f*cking spinach)

488 Cal
    37 carb
    20 fat
    51 protein
    19 fiber

Right? I was thinking about adding pea protein to mine (I can't/won't do whey), but seriously all those leafy greens and berries and stuff... I just feel great when I'm eating so much of them!!!

EDIT: I also like adding flax meal to mine as well... omega fats and all since I don't eat fish ;)
  • chris1816

Berry Brotein Smoothie

600 cal
    46 carb
    16 fat
    75 protein
    14 fiber

488 Cal
    37 carb
    20 fat
    51 protein
    19 fiber

Right? I was thinking about adding pea protein to mine (I can't/won't do whey), but seriously all those leafy greens and berries and stuff... I just feel great when I'm eating so much of them!!!

Whey comes from making cheese which comes from cow tits.

Cow tits are amazing creations.

As for the rest it makes me feel like a dirty hippy and I feel a need to buy an assault rifle and shoot a sunflower with it every time I drink one.