Another Calorie Question

Options
Im just curious as to why some people only eat 1200 calories a day, it seems so low. MFP tells me i should be eating 1700 a day to lose 2 lbs a week. Im 5'11, 248lbs and have a large frame. MY BMR is at just over 2000 calories a day, so a deficit of 300 calories a day (assuming i lay in bed all day) I should be burning 2100 calories a week which is less then the 3500 it takes to burn a pound... Im wondering if im eating to much of if im eating enough to not starve but to still see results...

I guess what im saying is im confused why some people only have to eat 1200 calories a day and if i should stick to my 1700 or somehow determine if MFP is wrong... and what the best way to lose weight without killing my metabolism would be...

Replies

• sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I t also calculates any cardio exercise you said u would do.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height/weight/age/activity level.

For example, I'm only 5'1".. when I started, I weighed 150 lbs, so MFP set me at 1200 calories in order to lose 1 pound per week.
  • Cassidygriego
    Cassidygriego Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1700 is a healthy calorie intake, depending on your activity. If you're very active, then you could probably make it a little higher. 1200 is very low for anyone in general. I went on 1200 for about 3 months (being very active) and I lost 15 lbs but I became pretty weak. I suggest you just eat what feels right and helps you maintain/lose weight, and you can adjust according to how things are turning out. (:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I am disabled with a sedentary lifestyle. I do a few exercises when I am able. I just put the numbers in (just like you did), to lose 1 pound a week and it gives me 1240 calories. When you put your personal data in, the calculator uses those to come up with how many calories. If you want to learn more about how calories are calculated you can go to the link which is the "go to" method most popular (I think), Harris Benedict Equation.
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1191, that is why I am stuck with 1200 calories a day.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So basically slow and steady will win the "weight loss" race? I was just playing with the BMR, i guess height and weight have a big thing to do with the low calorie range... it just seems so low and people are starving themselves... but i guess they are just eating to their body needs... which makes sense.. so I should be sticking to my 1700 calories a day if not more depending on if its a work out day?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    So basically slow and steady will win the "weight loss" race? I was just playing with the BMR, i guess height and weight have a big thing to do with the low calorie range... it just seems so low and people are starving themselves... but i guess they are just eating to their body needs... which makes sense.. so I should be sticking to my 1700 calories a day if not more depending on if its a work out day?

Yes, I would trust science before any gut feelings or diet pills, etc. Height and weight have everything to do with your BMR. It takes a lot more calories to move a 250 pound body than it does to move a 120 pound body.