Fun strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As far as your definition to failure goes you are way off. I have been doing training to failure to about 30+ reps each time. The first time I break 40 reps, I go up 15lbs in weight. There are many ways of doing an exercise. You chose to think of it in the wrong way. Going the route I am going I will end up being able to do really heavy weights with lots of repetitions. I have done just strength training and I could not do very many reps. I like being able to know that I can do a ton of a heavy weight. Not many people can.

No it won't. Once the newbie honeymoon phase is over, you'll spend a lot of time spinning your whieels. All you're doing is training muscular endurance (and likely creating imbalances as well).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say what I think you are by the comment you made about him, but let me tell you, its not right to judge someone like that.

LOL. Do you even know what a Bro is?

I think he knows at least one.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    lift heavy.

if you're lifting heavy enough then it wont matter if you're having fun or not because you'll be concentrating in getting the lift done with proper form .

i use the same formula for cardio because i HATE cardio. i do intervals mainly so i'm too bust worrying about preparing for the next increase in speed to even think about having fun.

Gotta go with this. I hate weights, and I hate core work, but cardio doesn't bother me so much. I've upped my weights and core work because I want to maintain more muscle during my weight loss (something I wish I had done a long time ago, but cardio is the quick and relatively easy way to weight loss, and better supported my training for a 180-mile charity bike ride).

Anyway, when I lift, I lift as heavy as I can manage (failure within 10 reps), and I'm so focused on form and counting the lifts that it's over before I realize I've started. Then I move on to the next lift.

Same with core work. Squats I do with very little weight because I've always had back issues and I don't want an injury, but planks I keep a stopwatch for and try to beat my previous best while maintaining form.

I've actually come to like (OK, dislike by a smaller amount) lifting and core, only because there's constant variety in what I'm doing. I'm also starting to recognize the signs of progress, which aren't as obvious as "I maintained three more watts today on average".

Steady-state cardio, my previous go-to exercise form, now seems a lot duller and monotonous by comparison.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    In before twizted gets another thread locked for hijacking. :laugh: I love how he says he'll follow this one idiot's routine based on how he looks, rather than taking the advice of well-respected coaches. Yeah, I guess the olympic and professional athletes these guys train (in addition to writing their books, etc) don't count as "results".
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant to do strength training, but loved doing Chalean Extreme. I love Chalene's energy.
    It's not cheap, but maybe you can find it on ebay.
  • TheGreenfaerie
    Options
    I prefer strength training over cardio any day, but then again I've always hated running.

While I don't think I'd call it "fun" per se, it does feel good (like that same warm and loose feeling you get after a good morning stretch) and I like that I can set my ipod to slower or medium tempo tunes. (Conversely, when running/walking I find myself having to listen to tunes that I normally hate because they are the only thing with a strong, faster beat, aka "club"-ish music.)