weight loss during pregnancy is it possible?

bagaydina
bagaydina Posts: 46
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Is there anyone who actually lost weight during pregnancy or at least kept it within minimum?

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    ME! :bigsmile: I lost 18lbs while pregnant with my Daughter. My fam/friends/coworkesr freaked out but my midwife assured me it was totally okay& even healthier for me ( I was "obese"when I gotPG) to drop the weight (as long as it was healthy loss) while pregnant!

It's possible! Good luck and CONGRATS! :smile:
  • How did you do it? Can you share some tips?
    Thanks
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Honestly?
    Nothing.

I kept eatling like I was eating before & instead of my body ''storing'' the ''excess'' as fat it was giving my daughter what she needed first & I got the "leftovers" so there was nothing left to store. I didn't exercise (which I know you're supposed to, but who wants to workout when you've got a watermelon on the front of you?? and your 2YO son is hanging on you like a monkey?!) anyway, I lost steadily the whole time, it's not like I lost 18lbs in the first month. If you're over weight to start with and continue eating like you are now, your body will "split the difference" like mine did - atleast that's what my MW said, I'm no Dr. but it makes sense to me.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    I never gained more than about 15 pounds with each pregnancy and I didn't try...but I was WAY more concerned with eating healthy just because I was pregnant. I went out of my way to eat healthy!!!! maybe that is why.....?

Cindy
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    I lost up 20 - 25 lbs when I was pregnant 5 years ago. I was a heavy coke drinker and ate fast food too much. When I found out I was pregnant I totally cut the soda and just could not stomach much more then veggies and oatmeal for while. I lost 9 lbs the first month alone! I was really concerned at first, but the Dr said it was fine. I was just eating much healthier than ever and I had extra to spare :huh: I also had a job at the time where I was walking nonstop. When I delivered I was the healthiest I had been in 8 -10 years - looked and felt great, however I gradually went back to my old ways and went to desk jobs ..... so I am trying to take it off again, but a lot harder now! I would just check with your Dr. first.
  • When I was pregnant my doctor actually suggested going on a weight watchers type diet. She wasn't as concerned about me losing as much as she wanted me to maintain an even weight.:flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I always lost weight in the first trimester because I have horrible morning sickness. I've heard it's not uncommon to lose weight in the first trimester, due to morning sickness and nausea. Your OB dr will monitor your weight and let you know if it is a healthy gain or loss.:flowerforyou:
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    my dr told me that it would be safe to lose weight while prego if you have it to lose. obviously if you're going into a pregnancy at like 115lbs you shouldn't be losing anything, lol!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    my dr told me that it would be safe to lose weight while prego if you have it to lose. obviously if you're going into a pregnancy at like 115lbs you shouldn't be losing anything, lol!
    Good point. They will tell you a healthy weight to gain based on your pre-pregnancy weight.
This discussion has been closed.