What are the signs of thyroid problem?

Options
I am having extremely hard time to lose weight and i was wondering if I have thyroid problem. I am planning to go to doctor but for the mean time what are the signs of it?

Replies

• Sarandipity
    Options
    For me it was extreme exhaustion and nausea. I know the nausea isn't normal, but the exhaustion is. I was a barely functioning zombie according to my mother. But my thyroid was basically non-functioning and even the Dr was amazed I was still functioning and going to work. You could google hypothyroid symptoms to get a more rounded list of symptoms. good luck
  • bagaydina
    Options
    Thank you for the answer
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Very often the signs are subtle- and rarely to blame for being overweight. However, common signs are fatique, depression, irregular cycles, infertility, dry skin. For me, being diagnosed and treated for my hypothyroidism did not greatly impact my weight. However, I realized that proir to treatment, I was depressed with little interest in life. This changed a lot. My weight is still a struggle. That boils down to hard, consistent excercise and healthy eating.

Definitely get it checked!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid problems and didn't even know it
    BUT I hear dry skin, dry hair, exhaustion, problems sleeping, depression are some symptoms
    It's worth getting tested...

Kim
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You don't need to have all of these symptoms in order to have a thyroid problem, but here are some of the most common signs that you may have a thyroid condition:

10. Muscle and Joint Pains, Carpal Tunnel/Tendonitis Problems.
    9. Neck Discomfort/Enlargement
    8. Hair/Skin Changes
    7. Bowel Problems.
    6. Menstrual Irregularities and Fertility Problems
    5. Family History.
    4. Cholesterol Issues
    3. Depression and Anxiety.
    2. Weight Changes.
    1. Fatigue.

Of course, goind to your doctor for proper testing is always best so I am glad to see you have already taken the first step toward proper care. My aunt had several of these symptoms and once it was diagnosed she has been losing weight and sleeping better. Her skin symptoms were dry skin and boils in her armpits (they were gross) and fertility.

:flowerforyou:
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    this is from the ATA.....American Thyroid Assn.

Less energy
    More fatigue, trouble awakening in the morning, need for more sleep, and tendency to fall asleep during the day
    Feeling cold when other people feel warm
    Less sweating
    Drier, itchier skin
    Yellow or orange skin, caused by a build-up of the pigment carotene from fruits and vegetables
    Drier, coarser, more brittle hair
    More hair loss (the amount differs in different people; patients don’t go bald but their hair can look thin)
    Loss of appetite
    Mild weight gain (5-20 pounds) and difficulty losing weight (hypothyroidism doesn’t cause obesity)
    New or worsening problems with memory, slower thinking
    New snoring
    More frequent and severe muscle cramps and joint aches
    New feeling of pins and needles in the hands and feet (paresthesia)
    New constipation
    New puffiness around the face (especially the eyes), hands, ankles, and feet because of fluid build-up
    Carpal tunnel syndrome
    Heavier and/or more frequent menstrual periods, worse cramps, worse premenstrual symptoms
    Feeling irritable
    New depression—sadness or not caring about anything
    New hoarse voice
    New hearing loss
    Goiter (swelling in the front of the neck, caused by enlargement of the thyroid; goiter is most likely to be part of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis)
    Shrinking thyroid (most likely in atrophic thyroiditis)
    Slowing of heart rate, reducing the blood flow and oxygen delivered to body tissues
    Slightly higher blood pressure, caused by stiffening of arteries
    Higher cholesterol levels

Many people get treated for depression when it is thyroid.....there are so many symptoms it mimmicks that people often go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Blood work is the only way to know for sure.

there are thyroid websites

www.allthyroid.org

www.thyroid.org

www.hormone.org

www.tsh.org

hope this helps.....also the site www.sparkpeople.com has a board for thryoid and weight issues. that way you could talk to others with the condition
  • abatres7
    Options
    I did not have any symptoms. I only found out when I was trying to lose weight and had visited a DR who happened to run a blood test. I take a pill every day and have to for the rest of my life.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was a teen and I can tell you my symptoms for that.

Hair loss
    Feeling tired all the time
    Grouchy
    Hoarse voice
    Had trouble losing weight.

I would just go to the doctor and ask to be tested.