am i doing to much exercise?

pillboy
pillboy Posts: 28
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
first of can i say what a brilliant site this is,the people and advice on here is first class,right my dilema is this i have filled my details in on this site and i would like to lose at 1 and a half pound a week,it recommends 2200 cals a day now this is my problem i like doing exercise i do 30-45 mins every day either running cycling or using ea active on wii,i also walk to and from work which is a 45 minute round trip by putting that in my exercise log my cals have gone up to around 3200 cals but i am always left with 400-600 left every day,i have read a lot on this site about if you dont eat the right amount your body will go into starvation mode and make it hard to lose weight which i dont want

so what do i do
use up the cals everyday?
leave them unused?
or exercise less?

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    If you set your activity level to slightly active you shouldn't include your walk to work in your calories burned.

I would try to eat at least half (not including the walk to work calories)
  • thanks ivykivy for your reply is there any reason why i should not include my walk to work?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    When you first came to mfp you set your activity level. If you chose you were lightly active or active then your walk to work was included in your everyday TDEE calories.

If you set your activity level to sedentary then you can include your walk to work if you know how many calories you burn. But since this is basically part of your everyday routine I would set my activity to include it.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    What really matters is your net calories - total intake of cals - exercise cals = net cals. So if your net calories are at a good level, remembering that for most starvation mode is around 1200, then you should be fine. Say that your net calories is 1500, then you're fine.

Are you using an HRM? Because the calories used in either gym machines or on this site are very off for either large people or smaller people - by half. So when I got my HRM I learned that i was burning twice as many calories as I thought (explained the nearly passing out every afternoon!) and also for smaller people it's double what it should be.

Your walk to work, because it's a daily activity, isn't part of your exercise, because your body is used to it. If you walk to work once a week, then you would count it as exercise. If you're a waitress and on your feet all day, you would set your daily activity as active and it would account for those calories, but not as much as if you did it one day, because your body gets used to what you do every day and doesn't burn as many calories at it.

Hope that makes sense, if not, pm me and I'll try to explain it better!
This discussion has been closed.