Recommend me an excellent book on nutrition?

Options
Now that I have a good fitness routine under my belt I really feel I need to focus as much on my awful food intake as it's holding me back from reducing fat.
I'd like some recommendations for books on nutrition. I'm not interested in anything that suggests omitting a particular food group, I want a healthy balance, something for life. I am also hopelessly useless in the kitchen so I wouldn't be very successful with a book with difficult recipes but want a book that will give easy suggestions on what to eat at mealtimes. A UK author would be good too, just so that I know that the foods suggested would be available near me :-)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love the O2 Diet. I've never followed the plan exactly but it's extremely informative and an easy read. It also has recipes.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I'm also interested :)
  • shawnadwyer
    shawnadwyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i just finished reading fat wars by brad king..
  • sunnylovelyday
    Options
    80/10/10 by Doug Graham
    or The Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall.
    Just pick one ;) (or read both and choose after)
  • fltwins918
    fltwins918 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found heandsheeatclean.com had some good recommendations for books and I just got the book Eat Clean Diet Recharged by Tosca Reno for my birthday. Looks good and has recipes and eating out ideas too.
  • Loeski5
    Loeski5 Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't have any good books on nutrition but Netflix has some great movies you can watch. Take a look at Food Matters, Food Inc, and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I swear, you'll start looking at all your food like o_O. These are eye opening movies for sure. After watching them, I'm definitely thinking about making that 30 minute trip to my local farmer's market. Let me know how you like them and I hope these help :smile:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Why We Get Fat
    Wheat Belly
    The Paleo Solution
    The Primal Blueprint
    Protein Power
    Primal Body, Primal Mind
    Sweet Potato Power

... If you are a vegetarian then probably best to save your money :D ...
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    lots to look into, thanks guys.
    The trainer at my gym recommended food for Life, or any by Anita Bean. I'll be tracking those down as I think she is/was a British athlete.

Any others? I'm a bookworm so I don't mind having a bigger list :smile:
  • CourtneyTN
    Options
    I highly recommend Eat to Live, or anything by Dr. Joel Fuhrman!! I enjoy reading his blog as well, http://www.diseaseproof.com/
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism, sixth edition.
    http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Nutrition-Metabolism-Sareen-Gropper/dp/1133104053
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Why We Get Fat
    Wheat Belly
    The Paleo Solution
    The Primal Blueprint
    Protein Power
    Primal Body, Primal Mind
    Sweet Potato Power

... If you are a vegetarian then probably best to save your money :D ...

Every single one of these is garbage.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" then I'd highly recommend it. It will give you a very healthy moderate overview of how to eat and why to view nutrition fads skeptically. Plus it's just a GREAT read.

For more specific nutrition info, you can't go wrong with Lyle McDonald (www.bodyrecomposition.com). He's very unbiased and rigorously science-based. Unfortunately his books are very expensive but on the upside he has a wealth of free articles on his website.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The Diet Docs'® Guide to Permanent Weight Loss: Secrets to Metabolic Transformation
    Joe Klemczewski (Author), J. Scott Uloth (Author)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" then I'd highly recommend it. It will give you a very healthy moderate overview of how to eat and why to view nutrition fads skeptically. Plus it's just a GREAT read.

For more specific nutrition info, you can't go wrong with Lyle McDonald (www.bodyrecomposition.com). He's very unbiased and rigorously science-based. Unfortunately his books are very expensive but on the upside he has a wealth of free articles on his website.

I agree with Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food". I've read a lot of food authors and he's my favorite.

I haven't read much on the McDonald site but what I've read I've liked.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I liked Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism. It made me look more critically at what I was eating and helped me clean up my diet.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The recommendations are based off the latest and most scientifically substantiated research. Always talking about them in my nutrition college classes.

Here is the pdf: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/PolicyDoc/PolicyDoc.pdf
  • berryjwells
    berryjwells Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always refer to the Eat Clean Diet (which is more of a eating life style) by Tosca Reno, also Oxygen Magaizine online is good. My kids and friends even eat clean without knowing it with this book. I heard that the book, Why We are Fat is good too. The gracious pantry and skinny ms alos have great, easy recipes. :smile:
    -Berry
  • brojas10
    brojas10 Posts: 7
    Options
    The Primal Blueprint! Or simply go to the author's blog: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1wOggXZM7 you can sign up for the newsletter and get TONS of useful information! Trust me, take a look at it!!! It will help!
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    lots to read, thanks guys! I now need more hours in a day :-)
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    bump! Fell off the bottom of My Topics list and I don't know another way to keep it there other than bumping!
    Just ordered Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Recharged. Seems like something I could try to follow.