No I'm not thirsty! I'm hungry!!

Options
I'm a big fan of the forums and I've last track of people recommending people to drink water to fill you up or to stop thinking you're hungry.
I know many medical professionals have the same mantra.
But I don't! I've never confused thirst with hunger. In fact the more I drink the hungrier I get!

Surely I'm not the only one being driven crazy by this?!!

Replies

• ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    It's a possibility depending on the person, but not an absolute. So if it doesn't work for you, then you shouldn't pay any attention to it. Most advice and suggestions on here are only that. Each person has to find what really holds true for them. If we were all the same, MFP people as a whole would have a much easier time losing weight and a much more harmonious forum, lol...
  • mollyv09
    mollyv09 Posts: 7
    Options
    It drives me batty!
    I had issues with over-eating and always being hungry as a child. Seriously, I would eat Thanksgiving-sized meals and be STARVING within an hour. My mom told me to drink water. "You're not hungry, you're thirsty, get some water." Um, no. I've always been fantastic at drinking enough water. Sometimes, I even drink too much.
    Sometimes it helped to curb appetite, but only slightly. It would put the feelings of hunger off until later, then I would suddenly get a headache from being too hungry and almost pass out. They did find, however, that I was/am hypoglycemic, and- as the pediatrician put it all those years ago- "if she's hungry, she's hungry. Feed her."
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but it works for me :).
    Having soup or something instead of just plain food fills me up faster too because of the liquid in it
    It's good to drink water with a meal anyway
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Same for me - drinking water does NOTHING to help my hunger. If anything it makes it worse!

The only advantage is that it stops me craving a sugary or fruit drink so i do save on calories that way

Milk and protein shakes certainly help my hunger though - but I guess they would!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There have been studies that show that eating water-rich foods like soup and fruit DOES make you feel more full (than drier foods) but drinking water with meals doesn't have the same effect, nor does drinking water on its own.

If I got full from liquids I'd never have any weight problem.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    There have been studies that show that eating water-rich foods like soup and fruit DOES make you feel more full (than drier foods) but drinking water with meals doesn't have the same effect, nor does drinking water on its own.

If I got full from liquids I'd never have any weight problem.

Yeah I watched aprogram that said exactly this - water added to meals (i.e to make a soup) will stay in your stomach longer and keep you feeling full for longer. If you have liquid before, during or after food, the water will soon drain from your stoach

However... For some the feeling thirsty, feeling hungry signals seem to be too similar so thirsty gets mistaken for hungry which is I guess what the OP was saying
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's a possibility depending on the person, but not an absolute. So if it doesn't work for you, then you shouldn't pay any attention to it. Most advice and suggestions on here are only that. Each person has to find what really holds true for them. If we were all the same, MFP people as a whole would have a much easier time losing weight and a much more harmonious forum, lol...

hehe no fear of us all being the same alright!
  • Martina_Who
    Options
    It drives me batty!
    I had issues with over-eating and always being hungry as a child. Seriously, I would eat Thanksgiving-sized meals and be STARVING within an hour. My mom told me to drink water. "You're not hungry, you're thirsty, get some water." Um, no. I've always been fantastic at drinking enough water. Sometimes, I even drink too much.
    Sometimes it helped to curb appetite, but only slightly. It would put the feelings of hunger off until later, then I would suddenly get a headache from being too hungry and almost pass out. They did find, however, that I was/am hypoglycemic, and- as the pediatrician put it all those years ago- "if she's hungry, she's hungry. Feed her."

EXACTLY!!!! I always drink a lot of water too, always have!
    But I do find the more I drink the hungrier I get and I know its not thirst related :/
    sigh :/

So glad I'm not the only one that finds it super annoying!!!!
  • Martina_Who
    Options
    Same for me - drinking water does NOTHING to help my hunger. If anything it makes it worse!

The only advantage is that it stops me craving a sugary or fruit drink so i do save on calories that way

Milk and protein shakes certainly help my hunger though - but I guess they would!

yay another one, we should set up our own support group!!!!!!!!