Knee pain :(

Options
My knee has been killing me for the past 3 days :grumble: I started doing to the 30DS and on the 3rd day my knee felt weird and has yest to get better. I have tried taking it easy for the past 3 days and not doing anything that would be strenuous on my knee but I feel like I am just wasting time because it is not getting better. It seems to be more uncomfortable in the morning (not sure why). It is not a crazy pain, just feels like there is a lot of pressure on it and feels like it pops every time I bend or extend it. Does anyone have an exercises I can do until it feels better? Or thoughts on how I can still do to 30DS with some modifications? I am not sure what I could do in place of squats.

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Just do upper body for now.

Better to let your knee heal than screw it up worse.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Have you had a professional look at your knee?
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Rest for sure.
    I don’t know any “knee” exercises. But ICE and pain reliever should help.

I had issues with my knees doing the 30DS also, and tried to work through the pain. I made it SO bad that I had a hard time kneeling down to wash my daughter in the tub.
    Defiantly take it easy. 30DS is very high impact. It might not be for you. I know it wasn’t for me.
    I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    My knee has been killing me for the past 3 days :grumble: I started doing to the 30DS and on the 3rd day my knee felt weird and has yest to get better. I have tried taking it easy for the past 3 days and not doing anything that would be strenuous on my knee but I feel like I am just wasting time because it is not getting better. It seems to be more uncomfortable in the morning (not sure why). It is not a crazy pain, just feels like there is a lot of pressure on it and feels like it pops every time I bend or extend it. Does anyone have an exercises I can do until it feels better? Or thoughts on how I can still do to 30DS with some modifications? I am not sure what I could do in place of squats.

I loved 30 day shred but it hurts my knees too. I was never hurting for an extended period of time, but I've heard others complain about their knees after doing it too. I've never even had any previous knee pain or anything! I had to stop doing it every day, and after that would do it every other day. I don't do it as much now, though.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I do 30 DS, but can't do the jumping exercises. For the jumping jacks, I do a modified version-I make the motions with my upper body, but lower body, I do side steps instead of jumping. during jumprope, I march in place and pump my arms. Good luck!

edited to add: I have had bad knee pain when doing 30 ds...that's why I modified the parts that hurt my knee.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have had surgery on both of my knees so I know all about knee pain! Since my surgeries I have fallen in love with the elliptical and the precor machine, it is almost like the stairmaster but it is alot easier on my joints!

As for working out my thighs I lay on my side and do leg lifts 3 reps of 15 on each side, I usually do them when I make time for my crunches.

Also you can try taking Glucosamine that helps build and restore cartilage in your joints too.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    When I had a similar issue a few years ago, I had someone look at my knee and the dr said it was tendonitis, but my belief in that dr is minimal. I haven't been icing it so I will try that for a few days and see how it goes. Thank you everyone :)
  • Dot1971
    Dot1971 Posts: 3
    Options
    You can take some Ibuprofen for the knee pain. I would not do any jumping or squats for at least a full week and if it does not get better then go see your doctor to get xray or mri
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    30DS is very tough on the knees. I had posted an article about it in another thread called "30 Day Shred Dropouts". I ended up having to go to PT to get my kness back in shape.. I am a runner as well. If your knees don't get better in a few days see your Dr. There are exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles that prevent knee injury.

Also, the JM30DS is not meant to be done in 30 days straight. You do need recovery time. This came from Ms. Michaels herself. She recomemdes 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, rest, repeat.

Hope this helps.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing. My doctor showed me some really good stretches to do before working out. Give you knee a rest. I am sure you can find some good stretches on line.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    30DS is very tough on the knees. I had posted an article about it in another thread called "30 Day Shred Dropouts". I ended up having to go to PT to get my kness back in shape.. I am a runner as well. If your knees don't get better in a few days see your Dr. There are exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles that prevent knee injury.

Also, the JM30DS is not meant to be done in 30 days straight. You do need recovery time. This came from Ms. Michaels herself. She recomemdes 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, rest, repeat.

Hope this helps.

I really wish she would have laid this out on the DVD better, because I did level 1, 10 days straight. And I just started level 2 and hadn't taken a break till my knees hurt so bad I couldn't walk down stairs. I've taken a rest day and been doing walking to ease my knee, and they feel loads better, but I wish she would have said it wasn't ment to be done in a 30 day stint.
  • sassified66
    sassified66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Been under doctors care for 6 weeks now... Pain and popping in one knee. Through xrays and MRI.. Found out I tore my meniscus and doing exercise made it worse... Doctor recommended.. walking at slow pace.... any type of water based workout...and streight leg.. leg lifts and any type of upper body workouts..Id seek medical care before going back to working out... so you dont damage it more like I did.... Hope you get better soon!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been having knee pain as well. I have been taking a full 24 hours of recovery time in between 30DS workouts. Allowing for rest makes a huge difference! Also, I am buying some tape for my knee for when I do the shred tomorrow.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

I really wish she would have laid this out on the DVD better, because I did level 1, 10 days straight. And I just started level 2 and hadn't taken a break till my knees hurt so bad I couldn't walk down stairs. I've taken a rest day and been doing walking to ease my knee, and they feel loads better, but I wish she would have said it wasn't ment to be done in a 30 day stint.

Take a full 48-72 hours of rest, then start level two. You will see a WORLD of difference. It isn't a bad idea to have 24 hours in between each workout. Recovery time is also part of the strength training process.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have tendinitis in both knees, more severely in my right. I have found that when it's flaring I need to back off and switch up my work out. I normally do stair climber or elliptical and the stairs are super hard on the knees and the elliptical's repetitive motion hurts as well. Do something minimal impact if you feel you *must* get cardio in, such as the rowing machine, pool workouts, or strength training. The stronger your quads are, the easier on your knees it will be as well.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. Anti-inflamatories.

Static leg raises to keep quads strong (very important for knee stability).

When soreness has gone cycling & elliptical trainer are much kinder on the knees than walking or running.

If pain persists get it checked out by a professional.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about the 30DS but if there are a lot of squats involved, you could be doing them wrong. I never had knee problems before, but I had knee issues when I did the EA Sports Active 2 (on the PS3) 2 years ago and it was because I had incorrect form squats all wrong and there are A LOT of them. Check your form, make doubly sure that your knees DO NOT go over your toes. sit back on your heels like you are sitting in a chair. Check out this video if you want to check.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKKZ9AGYTi4&feature=fvwrel
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    30DS also killed my knees.

I quit and started jogging and weightlifting instead. No more knee pain. Give yourself time to recover, and if after a few days if you have no relief, call a doctor and get it examined to be sure there's not something that needs medical attention.
  • erindh87
    Options
    Rest would probably be ideal until your knee heals up. Some exercises you could do that would be low impact are swimming and the upper body portion of kickboxing.

I hurt my knee as well when I was doing 30DS about a year ago (high impact is not for me). I had a lot more rest days in there while I was healing, but I did use my kickboxing videos a lot by just doing the upper body portion.

Also, yoga might be a good exercise to try. Obviously, if it hurts your knee, then you'd want to stop.