Peanut Butter - Bad or Good?

Options
I eat a peanut butter (natural not jiff) on 2 pieces of whole wheat 12-grain bread daily for lunch. Is this hindering my weight loss? I dont eat any red meat so I thought the peanut butter would give me the protein I need. Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of peanut butter. It's a good source of protein. Just stay in your calories and watch your fat.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will be largely controlled by your total intake of calories. Individual food items will contribute to your total intake of calories and in that regard, if peanut butter consumption puts you over your total calorie expenditure, you will gain weight.

Additionally, peanut butter is fine to eat but it's not what I'd call a good source of protein in that the amount of calories you're eating is high compared to the protein content. For example, compare 200 calories of protein to 200 calories of fish.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the protein in peanut butter is bad, I'm saying that if you're going to label a food as being a good source of a macronutrient, it should contain mostly that macronutrient.
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love peanit butter and as long as you eat it in moderation (Measure the ammout & logg it) ir should be fine its a great all rounder food is has a lot of fiber in it too but is high in fat - but this is a better fat than most on the market. I neither eat a lot of red meat and hope that i'd get my protein from it too.

its a brill food for a dieter.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other31.htm

:)
  • brandi1425
    Options
    I would like to hear what people have to say about this on to! I eat peanut butter once a day. I look for the one lowest in carbs and highest in protein. I think the best I have found was Peter Pan Natural? I also eat it on the 12 grain bread.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i <3 nuts and nut butters
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    PB is a fat, not protein.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's been said before many times - there's no such thing as good or bad foods.

Peanut butter certainly has a place in a healthy nutritious menu plan, but it's fairly calorie dense, and therefore easy to get too much of it.

I like the wholenut crunchy stuff. And I love almond or hazelnut butter too for a change.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will be largely controlled by your total intake of calories. Individual food items will contribute to your total intake of calories and in that regard, if peanut butter consumption puts you over your total calorie expenditure, you will gain weight.

Additionally, peanut butter is fine to eat but it's not what I'd call a good source of protein in that the amount of calories you're eating is high compared to the protein content. For example, compare 200 calories of protein to 200 calories of fish.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the protein in peanut butter is bad, I'm saying that if you're going to label a food as being a good source of a macronutrient, it should contain mostly that macronutrient.

What he said.
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options

Well that's just full-on wrong...
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Solid point. I eat peanut butter and yes it is a "good fat" but it's really not THAT high in protein. One serving is about 8 grams of protein, where a piece of chicken is like 22 g. I get that you don't eat meat and I wont force that on you, but as a source of protein it's really not that high. If I were a vegetarian I would get the majority of my protein through protein shakes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating peanut butter.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Can't see your results...you tell us - is your weight loss hindered?

Plenty of people are eating PB and still having good results...myself included :happy:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

BAM.

It's okay in moderation. but it's more fat than anything. A handful of almonds are better for you in my opinion than peanut butter. As for all the peanut butter taste with minimum fat and calories.. but still protein. Try PB2 - Amazon.com.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is fat not protein, lol its both actually, all nuts all both, the contain fat and protein. Eat it , its gorgeous, just keep away from the crap kind, eat good organic without sugar, much muhc better for you.
  • mlbrowninsc
    Options
    I actually use Jif natural and have a sandwich quite often for lunch. Very low in sodium. Like other have said here, watch you overall calories more than one particular food item.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Sadly it is true. The grams of protein do not significantly outweigh the grams of fat.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i love natural pb. one i love is best buy natural... just peanuts and salt. thats about as natural as you can find on store shelves. but i think you could find a different way to get high protein/low carbs/low fat
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options

Ha ha...oooooooooooooookay!
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Wrong

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4453/2

In 2 tbsp there are 8 grams of protein. Also carbs and fat.

If eaten in moderation, it's a good source of a number of nutrients.

Plus if a tablespoon makes you happy, you may have stronger resolve against other less nutritious fattening foods.

But it is not "a fat."