So sore I can barely move! Should I exercise?

2»

Replies

• Neurokitti
    Neurokitti Posts: 13
    DOMS stands for two things:

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
    and
    DO More Stuff.

Work through it. Moderate cardio will loosen you up. You'll be fine. GO GO GO.
  • I've had good luck with sublingual arnica tablets. It's a homeopathic remedy that's been helping the soreness (especially after 2 hour bootcamps). It doesn't make it go away, but it kind of helps to take the edge off. Otherwise like others have said, some cardio, a lot of water, protein, some ibuprofen, and on the third day you'll finally feel like a normal human again. :)
  • reereejandro
    reereejandro Posts: 62 Member
    Lots of good advice here :)

But my amazing cheat to make the pain disappear fast: Voltaren Muscle Gel from the Pharmacy section. You just rub it on and you will instantly forget about the pain :) Try it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I know some people love being sore. I wish I was one of those people. I usually take my dogs for a good long walk and that helps get ride of the soreness. I find that sitting around actually makes it last longer for me.

Yes, if I ice and move 1 bad day than better, if I sit on my *kitten* 3 bad days and regret.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    From what most people say on here that have been working out for a long time. Usually the soreness is because you used a group of muscles that you normally dont and that after awhile, the soreness should not affect you anymore after workouts.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    When I started my fitness journey, I did my first 20 minute workout DVD and just went all out. Felt good, a little shaky, but was glad I was finally doing something about my lack of fitness. The next day I could barely move. I mean, moving slow, moaning and groaning, nearly impossible to go from standing to sitting and vice versa - it was awful! :laugh: I told my hubby that if the house caught on fire and he wasn't there to carry me out I'd be a gonner because I couldn't move fast enough. :tongue:

I tried a little walking, but honestly - this was so far beyond regular workout muscle soreness, the moving around or any form of exercise was really rough, and didn't seem to do me any good for very long. Advil, plenty of water, and I rested for 3 full days before getting back to working out. Never been that sore since, and I don't ever want to be!

Hope you feel better soon - don't be afraid to just take it easy for a day or two before trying to walk it out or get back to workouts. If you're hurting as badly as I was, give those muscles time to heal up a bit.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Work through it =) That is the best way to handle it. Try to get a massage ;D I love leg massages! =p
    You should at least walk, don't be too hard because your muscles do need to heal but you have to keep it up or it will hurt every time you do a hard work out.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    From what most people say on here that have been working out for a long time. Usually the soreness is because you used a group of muscles that you normally dont and that after awhile, the soreness should not affect you anymore after workouts.

This is what I meant... =D He said it way better than I did.