VOTE - for or against?

Options

Replies

• paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, my dogs get a nice big fresh bone for their birthdays ...

So does my wife....
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I used to give my dog a special homemade doggie birthday "cake". He LOVED chicken, so I'd boil a chicken breast, then pull the meat off the bone and chop it into tiny, bite sized pieces. Then I'd steam some veggies (carrots, peas, broccoli, and green beans), and chop them into teeny tiny pieces (just short of qualifying as a puree). I'd mix the chicken and veggies together, then add a couple of eggs and bake it in a small custard dish. Once it was cooked, I'd flip the custard dish upside down onto a small plate and it looked like a "cake". He LOVED it. That was about as far as I'd take the pet birthday thing. In my opinion, anything more is a waste of money, as the pet doesn't really know the difference anyway. I'm not condemning anyone else for doing it. To each his/her own. It just doesn't seem practical to me.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I got my dog a cake for her first birthday and took her to the dog park.

In hindsight, I was crazy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    No. Just No.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    No way. :noway:
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Once when I was little we threw a birthday party for my 3 dogs... made a cake, decorated it, let them eat some of it, invited some friends over. Granted I was around 7 or 8 at the time so it was acceptable and more like an excuse for all my friends to come over to my house and eat cake, haha.

Personally I'd think it would be kind of strange if you threw your dog a party if you didn't have small kids. I can't even remember when my dog's birthdays are now!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd punch a friend square in the babymaker if they invited me to a dog party to make sure they never procreated.

But that's just me.
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    no
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes, my dogs get a nice big fresh bone for their birthdays ...

So does my wife....

:laugh: That actually made me snort while laughing. As to the OP's question: No, I wouldn't throw a pet birthday party.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Awww yess! :) And do it myself cause I wanna have it my way ;)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'd punch a friend square in the babymaker if they invited me to a dog party to make sure they never procreated.

But that's just me.

Yeah, inviting people over is too much. We get the treats mainly because the kids want to celebrate their birthdays anyway.
  • sewist
    sewist Posts: 40
    Options
    Yes. And I do it myself, but I also did my daughter's wedding reception so that's not telling you much about the scope of the celebration. ;)
    Our dog is actually my son's service animal trained by Guiding Eyes for the Blind's Heeling Austism program. My son also attends a school for children with neurological impairments. We celebrate the dog's birthday at the school so all the children get a chance to have social interactions. We do it up right! Planning now for July 28!
    Previously, I wasn't always certain how old my animals were, much less their birthday, since they were adopted. And we didn't have gift-giving relationships. ;) But our dog works for my son and benefits his life so much. We are so grateful to him and all the volunteer raisers and GEB staff trainirs. We also choose to send in a donation to GEB to mark the occasion.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I do it myself, but I also did my daughter's wedding reception so that's not telling you much about the scope of the celebration. ;)
    Our dog is actually my son's service animal trained by Guiding Eyes for the Blind's Heeling Austism program. My son also attends a school for children with neurological impairments. We celebrate the dog's birthday at the school so all the children get a chance to have social interactions. We do it up right! Planning now for July 28!
    Previously, I wasn't always certain how old my animals were, much less their birthday, since they were adopted. And we didn't have gift-giving relationships. ;) But our dog works for my son and benefits his life so much. We are so grateful to him and all the volunteer raisers and GEB staff trainirs. We also choose to send in a donation to GEB to mark the occasion.

OK, THAT dog gets birthdays. And I'd welcome an invitation.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Yes and do it yourself. I'll be having one for my pup in November.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    personally, no

That said for some people their pets are their kids, so why not.
    Life is really too short to give a hoot what others think.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    uh... no.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Nothing I would do personally. As far as I would go is a new treat. But hey, it's your pet so if you wanna give them a party go for it! :flowerforyou:
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    No.

Get your pet a toy and a treat. :wink:
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    This!!
    Nope.