Really bloated and have a food baby... any ideas?

Options
Miss_dannii
Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
Should I cut certain types of foods out to reduce bloatedness? I'd finally got my tummy flat but the past 2 or 3 days i'm really bloated and feel like I have eaten an entire cake or something

What types of foods cause us to bloat, and how can I reduce it?
x

Replies

• StrongandTender
    StrongandTender Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes a HUGE difference for me. I need to keep my sodium down (under 1500) and I need to keep my water up.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten tested for food allergies or IBS? That could cause it.

Or High sodium foods generally cause you to retain water... try eating low sodium and high potassium foods, potassium helps flush your body of excess water... If you like them, try lima beans... the dried packages are super cheap, they are super duper high in potassium and fiber and have a decent amount of protein as well, no fat and no sodium.
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

Or High sodium foods generally cause you to retain water... try eating low sodium and high potassium foods, potassium helps flush your body of excess water... If you like them, try lima beans... the dried packages are super cheap, they are super duper high in potassium and fiber and have a decent amount of protein as well, no fat and no sodium.

I do eat low sodium, I don't ever go over. Should I drink more water? x
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

I do eat low sodium, I don't ever go over. Should I drink more water? x

Well drinking more water certainly can't hurt anything... but if you are already under on your sodium, I would go to the doctor and get checked for Food Allergies or IBS Personally... Several of my friends had the same problem, found out their had food allergies, cut out the food and now feel a lot better... Dairy products are a common culprit for people with IBS... maybe try cutting out dairy for a while and see if that helps.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I assume you drank a lot the last few days? That kills me, usually drinking a lot of water and oddly sleeping for a long 10 hour or more period helps.
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    TOTM?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Should I cut certain types of foods out to reduce bloatedness? I'd finally got my tummy flat but the past 2 or 3 days i'm really bloated and feel like I have eaten an entire cake or something

What types of foods cause us to bloat, and how can I reduce it?
    x

Find a good allergist and get tested, that's the best way to figure out what is causing you bloat. Green leafy veggies will cause gassiness, but food allergies and intolerances cause the worst cases of actual bloat for me.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anything with wheat, broccoli or milk will do that to me........so I avoid those foods for that very reason...
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    More often than not it's bacteria in the digestive/intestinal systems. A good probiotic taken once/twice per day should make a big difference. Drink a good amount of water..but drink it over time...not a glass in 5-10 min...as that will definitely bloat you. Can also consider digestive enzymes with cooked meals (enzymes are present in fresh fruits/veggies so don't need them then)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    ok i have the same problem, but it's been going on since i was in my teens... i have always had a bloated stomach! in the last 2 years i've been drinking a lot of water so it's not that (like 3 liters a day). i can't say i've been eating healthy every day but overall i watch what i eat.
    i don't know, i don't eat meat too much (only fish and chicken, for protein) so i'm afraid it might be lactose intolerance (i've been surviving on dairy since i was very young).
    could it be food intolerance or digestive problems? does anyone have a clue?
  • js0717
    js0717 Posts: 1
    Options
    could u be pregnant? There can be heavy bloating in the first trimester.
  • Naytahlee
    Naytahlee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I assume you drank a lot the last few days? That kills me, usually drinking a lot of water and oddly sleeping for a long 10 hour or more period helps.

This. I've also noticed that I feel bloated when I dont drink enough water and dont get enough sleep.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    More often than not it's bacteria in the digestive/intestinal systems. A good probiotic taken once/twice per day should make a big difference. Drink a good amount of water..but drink it over time...not a glass in 5-10 min...as that will definitely bloat you. Can also consider digestive enzymes with cooked meals (enzymes are present in fresh fruits/veggies so don't need them then)

^^^ This! I take probiotics and acid reflux medication (prescribed by a doctor) to help with my stomach problems. I was constantly bloated and my bowel movements were irregular. Ever since I started taking the probiotic, I feel so much better and much MUCH less bloated.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    bloat is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the intestines. Eliminate gut fat and bloat by not eating any sugars or carbohydrates that feed the bacteria.

Fast from all cereals, grains, starches and see a difference - that's what the bacteria feed off of. Go one or two days with no fruit, veggies, or cereals for immediate results, then add the veggies back in. Enjoy, and happy training!
  • Miss_dannii
    Options
    100% not pregnant. Not TOTM and no I haven't been drinking (I'm not in America so there were no 4th July celebrations for me lol)