FAT Burn? Cardio? Which one is better to loose weight?

Options
I've gotten pretty good at knocking out some good calories doing cardio, but then I'm working if I want to do fat burn, and I've tried it, it seems like its to easy to workout at a fatburn rate.

Can somebody enlighten me so I can get under the 3's and get on with journey. It's hard but I'm not letting up.

Replies

• mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    good question! Hopefully you will get some good answers, very curious about this too!

Good luck!
  • meeky81
    meeky81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Me three! BUMP....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to increase fat burning, then start doing heavy weight training. The zone thing (which I assume is what you are referencing) is a myth. But if you want to cut fat quicker, you want more resistance training and not so much cardio.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    This article probably has all the info you need much better than I could put it myself:
    http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you are in the 3's....Get your diet in check first and then worry about the rest....That said the link posted above is a good one. But like another said I would focus on strength training and then do cardio if you have time.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Always high intensity

You get a higher percentage of fat burnt over glycogen during exercise in your fat burning mode (60-70% of maximum heart rate)

But you still ultimately burn more fat during higher intensities

50% of a lower figure is still less than 40% of a much higher figure
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This article probably has all the info you need much better than I could put it myself:
    http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm

Great article, Cap! I was stuck on this for a while myself.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I would say that your diet is the most important thing that will make the biggest difference.

A good stregth training routine 3 days a week will also work wonders. Work in the cardio as you can.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Diet is the most important thing, even more so at your weight. Fix that up and then start weight lifting 3x a week (full body). Mix in HIIT cardio 2-4x a week (work up to it).

If you're out of shape, start real slow on the HIIT and just progress as you can.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The answer like most in fitness is it depends on the individuals strengths and weaknesses.

It depends on what you are able to do on more of on a consistent basis without wiping yourself out (recovery):

15 - 20 minutes of intervals (less calories burned per session but higher EPOC)
    45 - 60 minutes moderate intensity cardio (more calories burned but less EPOC)

Obviously, you can do something really radical and include both types of training in your programme...

I know HIIT is supposed to be the greatest thing since grilled cheese sandwiches (notwithstanding the fact that most people when they say they are doing HIIT are doing old fashioned intervals) but it isn't always the right choice.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The answer like most in fitness is it depends on the individuals strengths and weaknesses.

It depends on what you are able to do on more of on a consistent basis without wiping yourself out (recovery):

15 - 20 minutes of intervals (less calories burned per session but higher EPOC)
    45 - 60 minutes moderate intensity cardio (more calories burned but less EPOC)

Obviously, you can do something really radical and include both types of training in your programme...

I know HIIT is supposed to be the greatest thing since grilled cheese sandwiches (notwithstanding the fact that most people when they say they are doing HIIT are doing old fashioned intervals) but it isn't always the right choice.

Stop talking crazy ;)

Everybody knows the universe can only count to 2.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    When you have a very small amount of weight to lose, combining training in different zones can be helpful in mobilizing and oxidizing stubborn fat stores. When you still have 100+ pounds to lose, the zones are unnecessary. Maximize your calorie burn.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Long and slow...long and slow. You need to teach your body to burn your fat stores versus glycogen (readily available stores of energy). To do this, I typically ride (choose your poison) for 2-4 hours at 65% mhr (maximum heart rate). If you insist on more strenuous activity at a higher heart rate (such as intervals), your body will first burn the glycogen stores, you will bonk (dizzy, nauseas), and probably stop before you burn much of your fat stores.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I run and weight lift. I used to run much more than lifting, but I now have switched it and lift more. I did a lot of reading and found that lifting is a wonderful way to burn calories and shape your body. I still love to run for the cardio portion too, just not as much as I used to push it.

Good luck!!
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Forget HIIT if your body fat is over 15%. HITT works but you take a chance of being out for weeks due to an injury. What i would do long and slow 30-45 min 6x a week. On your weight training days do cardio at the end. And it is always suggested to do cardio in a fasting state. Early in the morning or a few hours after a meal. A big no no is to drink a drink like Gatorade while your working because it will bring up your glycogen levels and take you out of a fasting state.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    . And it is always suggested to do cardio in a fasting state. Early in the morning or a few hours after a meal. A big no no is to drink a drink like Gatorade while your working because it will bring up your glycogen levels and take you out of a fasting state.

I'm pretty sure that particular theory has been debunked a while back

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/emptystomach.htm
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    . And it is always suggested to do cardio in a fasting state. Early in the morning or a few hours after a meal. A big no no is to drink a drink like Gatorade while your working because it will bring up your glycogen levels and take you out of a fasting state.

The article states do what works for you. And doing my cardio this way works for me. Just make sure you have ample carbohydrates on your strength training days.
  • vtpixie
    vtpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    Start slow. Try walking for 30-60 minutes every day with weights (ankle or hand weights) then slowly start adding in other types of cardio for only 15-30 minutes at a time. Make sure to do strength training as well. The best person to talk to about this is Helloitsdan...go to his page and he has tons of great advise.
  • Wonderob
    Options

The article states do what works for you. And doing my cardio this way works for me. Just make sure you have ample carbohydrates on your strength training days.

Yeah many good reasons to do this, especially if it works for you