Gaining weight...

Options
So, despite doing the 30 Day shred and the elliptical every day I am gaining weight. I am eating very reasonably (have counted calories enough to know what is "reasonable") and trying to drink my water but getting sooooo frustrated. It's not really worth it to put my body through this every morning when I'm just gaining. Part of me says "just keep going and it will work out" and part of me is frantic for some magic cure for this. I would like to have my thyroid tested but I don't have insurance and that is tricky due to cost....anyone have any experience with the South Beach Diet???? I won't do Atkins but am thinking South Beach!? I do have PCOS (insulin resistance).
If you look at my food diary, yesterday was not the best example b/c of our 4th of July gathering. I didn't do really bad (and I planned for the treats I had by eating very light in the early day) but there was some "bad" in there obviously...I entered most of it to see if I had absolutely gone over...
Please help! I'm about to skip my workout and go eat whatever I want. :/

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I can only see one day of logging?
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Kara (lol my name is Cara!)-I was logging for a long time but then was without my computer (in for repairs) and wasn't doing it anymore. I put yesterday's stuff in just to see how out of touch I had possibly become with my intake...but other than a celebratory dinner (4th of July) I'm not doing too badly....I am feeling better about things now. i worked out but did something different. Am going to up my water intake today and stay within my calories...am going to try to eat "raw" today until dinner. Dinner will be simple also though.
    Thanks for looking. :)
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    From a personal point of view if I dont write it down I am prone to forgetting I had it, so I know its a pain but if you can log all your food & exercise it is easier to keep track of, I've got into the habit of religiously writing up my diary even in advance so I know what calories I have spare during the day and it helps me plan.

Also with you doing lots of exercise you may not be eating enough to cover the cals burnt as well.

Well done for getting the celebratory stuff written down though as those days are normally the hardest & good luck with the weight coming off. Keep at it
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can help. Is your weight gain significant, or is it only by a few pounds? If you never really exercised before and have only been doing it for a couple of weeks, your muscles can swell up and fill with blood because of the fact that they're not used to being worked. This can cause a fluctuation on the scale for a week or so (should be no more than two weeks). Also, you need to be worried about your inches, no your weight. I haven't "lost" any weight, but I have lost inches. I can tell, because my scrub pants don't bind me so much anymore. I even had a pair of workout pants that almost fell off the other day! Also, you probably need to mix it up a little. Don't do the same thing every day. Still do your 30DS, but instead of the elliptical, too, go for a walk or run. Finally, be sure your eating enough calories to make up for your workout. Remember, you need to net your goal calories (mine is 1390). If I work out and burn 250 calories, that means I need to eat 1640 calories that day. Remember, Calories Consumed - Calories Burned = Net Calories. (1640 - 250 = 1390) Hope this helps!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    First let me say you absolutely must log your food. No excuses. AND you must measure and weigh your food. No excuses. I am working with a dietician so I would say from her advice watch your carbs, no processed food, watch sodium intake, eat plenty of protein. You can do this. You must be determined not to let the scale throw you off of healthy changes. You are exercising right? Good for the body. You are eating plenty of whole grains, fruit, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats right? Good for your body. Don't be controlled by the scale only. Look at what you are doing. Good for your body or not good. The scale will move in good time, it has to if you are eating in a calorie deficit.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A lot could do with the lack of logging possibly. I know when I don't log, what I might think is 200 calories might actually be say 400... example of a flavored coffee the other day.. I looked it up and it was actually over 300 calories! Spend a couple of weeks recording all the foods you have then revisit the issue. Another example is a tiny little brownie that looks like it would have at most 50 calories since was itty bitty actually had 150 calories so without recording it is really hard to determine what calories for a day consumed are. Calories in vs calories out is only way to lose.
    Good luck to you :-)
  • dneath
    dneath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out the book Supercharged Hormone Diet by Dr. Natasha Turner. It's all about balancing your hormones through a proper mix of carbs, protein and healthy fats. It's pretty easy to follow and not super strict. There are questionnaires in the book that help you identify hormonal imbalances, along with plans (i.e. food and natural supplements) to help you correct the deficiency. It might give you the boost you are looking for!
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Write it all down, we are not as smart or honest as we would like to believe when it comes to logging and we only cheat our selfs by procaliming expertise in the area. Everything counts and it all matters. It sounds a little more like you are looking for a quick fix and would rather throw in the towel than to keep trying. I have been a plateau for 2 months and know that much of it is me, some is not. You have to keep pushing. Be sure to take your measeruments as the scale might act funny, but our body responds. Also, drink the water it makes a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeee difference. Oh and this is coming from someone with Graves (thyroid) Disease...Good luck...hope you dont dont give up!
  • carebear7951
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Looks like the main theme of all the posts was LOG LOG LOG. LOL I know I need to. The stupid thing is, the more "natural" I eat the harder it is to log it (making a salad and figuring all the stuff-veggies only-is such a pain in the butt! whereas eating something processed is so easy b/c the calories and fat content are RIGHT THERE on the label. :/
    I will not give up. I can't.
    Yes, the inches are coming off a little but still too much flabbiness. I am going to cut carbs significantly and eat way more natural stuff and LOG LOG LOG and see what happens :)

Amandaine-I have been exercising way too long (about 6 mos) for it to be that-unfortunately. I wish....this is my 2nd go round with the 30 Day shred (completing it that is). I'm actually 4 days short of it but I'm not going to continue doing it right now b/c I have some "injuries" that it is really hurting worse...

Again: thanks everyone for the feedback! I will keep at it and really work the program!!!!!
  • amandainez08
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Looks like the main theme of all the posts was LOG LOG LOG. LOL I know I need to. The stupid thing is, the more "natural" I eat the harder it is to log it (making a salad and figuring all the stuff-veggies only-is such a pain in the butt! whereas eating something processed is so easy b/c the calories and fat content are RIGHT THERE on the label. :/
    Yes, the inches are coming off a little but still too much flabbiness. I am going to cut carbs significantly and eat way more natural stuff and LOG LOG LOG and see what happens :)

Amandaine-I have been exercising way too long (about 6 mos) for it to be that-unfortunately. I wish....this is my 2nd go round with the 30 Day shred (completing it that is). I'm actually 4 days short of it but I'm not going to continue doing it right now b/c I have some "injuries" that it is really hurting worse...

Again: thanks everyone for the feedback! I will keep at it and really work the program!!!!!

I tried! Lol! And about the natural eating that you do, if you eat it quite often, make it into a recipe. Go into your recipes, create a new one, then choose all of the ingredients you use. For example, I have a peanut butter banana smoothie in mine. It's not a public recipe, because I use it for logging purposes only. I'll enter one banana, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1/4 cup of milk, and ice. It adds all the calories together, and when you complete it, you can add the recipe to your breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. You'll never have to log each individual ingredient again! All you have to do is log the recipe and all the calories are accounted for right there!
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If youre on any sort of anti-depressants, they might cause you to gain/retain weight on your body. So i recommend changing out your workout type to help keep your body 'off balance' and cause increased weight loss. Your body adapts after about 3 weeks to any exercise you do, so for the best results you should switch up the exercise routine or type.

Also, i recommend you start doing some weight training. Weight training will slow your WEIGHT loss, but help your FAT loss. So the scale might now go down, but you will be stronger, leaner and have less fat on your body. Plus and increase in lean muscle mass will mean an increase in you metabolism, so you will be able to burn off fat quicker and easier.

As for the flabbiness, I know where your coming from. I dropped 100 ibs a few years back and you do get flabby as you lose weight. The only thing you can do is keep going until you lose enough weight that your body reponds by cause your skin to contract.

Best of luck
  • carebear7951
    Options

I tried! Lol! And about the natural eating that you do, if you eat it quite often, make it into a recipe. Go into your recipes, create a new one, then choose all of the ingredients you use. For example, I have a peanut butter banana smoothie in mine. It's not a public recipe, because I use it for logging purposes only. I'll enter one banana, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1/4 cup of milk, and ice. It adds all the calories together, and when you complete it, you can add the recipe to your breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. You'll never have to log each individual ingredient again! All you have to do is log the recipe and all the calories are accounted for right there!

LOL, yeah, you did try! ;) and I WISH that was the case...I'd take it. Hmmm. I think I need to try that smoothie! I haven't had good luck with smoothies so I gave up. Seemed like I was wasting a LOT of food since no one really liked the ones I was making (not cheap food either!) Good idea though on the saving it so I don't have to enter all ingredients. :) Thanks for that tip.

Tom-I am on prozac now and it does not tend to make me gain/retain weight...just wondering if that zoloft weight is stubborn. Kwim? I know a lot of birth control meds will make you gain weight and then when you're off of them you have trouble losing it so I thought *MAYBE* it was that way with zoloft too!? I actually lost a lot of weight while on prozac before (but I was in my 20s then too :/ ) Good thoughts on changing my routine up a little....

Ok, off to drink another glass of water that I just entered! :) Yay me!
  • amandainez08
    Options
    I don't know if this will answer your question, but I was Zoloft for a bit after I had my daughter for minor PPD. It didn't affect me at all and it did me wonders. I never had any weight gain/retention from the Zoloft, and it never made me sick, either. For me, it was the better choice than Prozac. I hated that stuff.

And about the smoothie...I think simple ingredients are the way to go! The peanut butter banana smoothie is delicious! I love drinking it in the mornings for a quick breakfast. It fills you up nicely, too! I don't believe in adding a bunch on nonsense. Protein powder makes stuff taste yuck!