Hard time remembering it's not hunger

Options
Lately, I am just sitting around the house eating a lot. Not because I am hungry, but because of the heat. I'm sitting in my one air conditioned room, watching tv. So of course while watching tv, I just mindlessly eat. I need to leave the tv off and get out even if it is hot. I can take this heat, as long as I have some water and a hat. I'm just not motivated enough to do it. So please give me some motivation. Kick me in the butt. I promise not to get too overheated. (PS: I don't even like to watch tv)

:ohwell:

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    snap a rubberband on your wrist when you want to eat. then drink water, then do some exercise.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just moved into a new place 6/1 and didn't buy a tv until this past Sunday. I notice I immediately "settle in" for a nite o' tv when i'm getting home. when I had no tv I was out more (gym, socializing, etc) i'm thinking about taking the tv back to the store for a refund before the 14 days are up lol
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    sydnisd183; Yeah, I would get rid of my tv in a minute if my husband wouldn't give me tons of grief.
    caraselite; sounds more like torture with the rubber band, but who knows, it could work
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    snap a rubberband on your wrist .

genius !

I'm the opposite in the heat I dont' want to eat so much - sadly I live in the UK where the climate doesn't want to co-operate with my weight loss plan.

Try distraction go for a walk. take a shower, dance around to your favorite music or read a book just stay away from the fridge
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Get an exercise video (or youtube/ netflix one for free!) and move around in front of that TV!!! Even though I live in the idea weather of Southern California, I still prefer to do my workouts indoors- outside time is pleasure time for me :-) Don't even let your mind go to the place to make excuses!! You can do it without spending a penny or pushing through the heat!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Make yourself adhere to "no food in the TV room". Eventually your mind will quit associating the two. Building new habits just takes practicing them enough until they become automatic. If you're bored sitting there, do something with your hands-- crochet, crossword puzzles, whatever.
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    Make yourself adhere to "no food in the TV room". Eventually your mind will quit associating the two. Building new habits just takes practicing them enough until they become automatic. If you're bored sitting there, do something with your hands-- crochet, crossword puzzles, whatever.

This is clever! I hadn't thought to associate a no food in a certain room rule! Our living/dining area is in one large room but I am definitely going to start the no eating on the sofa rule!!
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Find a propper tempriture public pool near you (by which i mean around 19 degrees celcius) and go for a swim.. it's sooo nice when it's slightly chilled
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I always have a big glass of water when I'm watching tv (unless it's too close to bedtime). It gives me something to do with my mouth that isn't calorific, and there's the added bonus of being well-hydrated, which is important in this heat wave.
  • mstclair03
    mstclair03 Posts: 151
    Options

I agree with this! I crochet, which keeps my hands from putting food in my mouth! :-)
  • cpsunseri
    cpsunseri Posts: 9
    Options
    My roommate and I gave up tv along time ago. It was the best idea ever. We keep a projector for when we want to watch movies or sports and thats about it. No more mindless eating and tons more socializing & exercising.