Nike running shoes... Thoughts?

Options
I am looking online at some of the Nike shoes because the shoes that I am currently running in are from high school, which means that they are about 5 years old. As a treat to myself for losing 20 pounds, I would like to buy new running shoes for my next 20 pounds. On their website there are so many shoes on there that it is OVERWHELMING. I searched topics for good running shoes but I wanted to ask about Nike in particular. Does anyone have any suggestions on Nike shoes? I am not sold on Nike brand in particular, I just find that they have a good variety (and are cute!) I will most likely be going in store to try some of them on and then order them online for custom colors, but I would like to know which shoes to especially look out for and try on when I go shopping.

Replies

• baffled_blonde
    Options
    What type of surface will you be running on? I currently have a pair of the Nike Free running shoes and have found them to be wonderful on a treadmill, but not so great outside on concrete.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    @baffled makes a good point. What you are running on is important. I have a pair of Frees but I only use them for lifting since they are super light and don't take the impact of outside runs well for me. Now I have a pair of Lunars that I LOVE for outside runs and treadmill runs. They are light (super cute in gray/pink) but leave me feeling less of the impact during runs. I have had 3 pairs of lunars and loved them all.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. They will put you in the right shoe for the way you run. Don't pay attention to brand. Just choose the shoe that feels the best out of the ones they suggest for you.

If you run in the wrong kind of shoe, you can injure yourself. It's well worth the investment to go to a running store.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What type of surface will you be running on? I currently have a pair of the Nike Free running shoes and have found them to be wonderful on a treadmill, but not so great outside on concrete.

I usually run on asphalt and concrete and the Nike Frees (version 2, not 3, the latter not fitting me as well) have been great on it. Much better than the Air Pegasus N7s I was running in before.

Granted, I mainly stick to Nikes since we have an outlet in my town, I haven't tried many other brands.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. They will put you in the right shoe for the way you run. Don't pay attention to brand. Just choose the shoe that feels the best out of the ones they suggest for you.

If you run in the wrong kind of shoe, you can injure yourself. It's well worth the investment to go to a running store.
    ^^^ This. A running store employee should ask you to run around the store (I felt super silly but what the hell) and watch how your body moves and foot strikes when you run. They should suggest several pairs of shoes that will work well for your stride, try them all on and run around a bit in each. Pick the one that feels the best.

That said, the new (and overpriced, in my opinion) Nike shoes with sensors that sync to their iPhone app are very tempting. I am way too into tracking points for working out.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's funny you posted this because just last week I bought new running shoes. I started running almost a year ago and have always worn Nike's because they felt OK and I could always find a pair I liked on sale for under $50 or so. A few months ago I have gotten more serious about running and have started doing 5K's and I love it! I like to read Runner's World magazine and other blogs on running and read the same thing over and over... The most important thing you need when running is a good pair of running shoes. So I decided to look into getting a better pair.

I went to a store called Active Runner where they specialize in analyzing your foot type and helping you select the shoe that is right for you. I found out that I have excessive supination, also called underpronation, and the shoe I was wearing was not the right fit for me. He had me try on several pair and I ran on the store's treadmill until I found my perfect match. I was amazed at what a difference the shoes made. I purchased the Muzino Wave Rider 15 for $119.00. I never thought I would spend that much for shoes, but it's definitely worth it!

I suggest going to a store that specializes in running shoes and get your foot properly measured and take your time. Only you can find the shoe that's right for you. Yes, it may be a little pricy, but if you're serious about running, it will definitely be well worth it! Best of luck!! :)
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately where I live we dont have specialty stores. We have your typical Foot Locker, Finish Line, Journeys ect. I mostly run on the treadmill because right now it is so hot outside, but when it cools off I plan to start running outside and eventually do a 5K. If there is a shoe that is good for both that would be more realistic because I would like to be able to run on both surfaces.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately where I live we dont have specialty stores. We have your typical Foot Locker, Finish Line, Journeys ect. I mostly run on the treadmill because right now it is so hot outside, but when it cools off I plan to start running outside and eventually do a 5K. If there is a shoe that is good for both that would be more realistic because I would like to be able to run on both surfaces.

The surface doesn't matter unless you start running very technical trails. It's more important that you are in the right shoe for your gait. If you can't find a specialty store, maybe find a running club with an experienced runner that can help analyze your gait. It's really that important.
  • kingang1988
    Options
    Fitness nike free running shoes http://www.airmaxlocker.com/