I'm getting discouraged!! Should I change something??

Options
I'm finishing week 7 (I started this program on 7/25) and I've lost 15 pounds consistently. I've also lost 4 inches in my hips, 3 in my waist, 1.25 around my neck and 1 in my upper arms (totaling 9.25). I seem, however, to be stuck and I seem to have been stuck for about 2 weeks now. I stay close to my caloric goals and I exercise usually 4+ times a week. Although I do the same exercise (stationary bike) I vary my intensity and i've added in curls and arm lifts while I'm on the bike to make the best use of my time.

Is there something else I should be doing? My first goal was to lose 20 pounds and I get a cute new haircut. (I keep waiting and it seems like that goal just isn't coming!!) My second goal was to lose 50 by Christmas. I haven't set goals after that because I didn't want to be overwhelmed.

Should I change something? I understand that it's not all about weight and that the inches make a big difference but, for some reason, it feels like the weight should be coming off faster and it's just not. I have problems with chronic shin splints so running isn't an activity I can do w/o much pain. I'm getting discouraged :cry:. Suggestions????

Replies

• tanyatales
    Options
    Do not get discouraged...you've come so far already and congratulations on that! I'm new to this program so I'm by no means on expert but I do have problem feet (Plantar fastiitis) which makes most excercises hard on my feet. I've been biking a few times, walking a few but my favourite excercise is swimming and more specifically treading water. So far I've been going to the beach to do this but soon the water will be too cold so I will be joining a "deep water aquacise program at a local recreation centre. this way my feet won't have to bear weight and it burns a lot of callories.

I understand that reaching that plato can be frustration but I think changing things up a little might make a difference. Also a friend of mine suggested that when I reach my plato I should go to the local health food store and purchase a "colon cleanse" which is just tablets that you take twice a day for 30 days and she said it did wonders for her" of course you should also continue excercising and maintaining your optimum calory intake as well.

Good luck to you I have no doubt that your goal is achieveable...keep up the good work!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Change up your exercise. Your body gets used to one thing. Instead of the exercise bike try walking, running swimming or the elliptical. Work out more with weights. They won't make you bulk up but they will help burn calories.
  • ramahl
    ramahl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The plateau....everyone reaches it. Just my take:

I'd vary your workouts more. Think about it...you mostly do bike. At first, your body was in shock as you would spend 30-40 minutes on the bike...it had to work hard to finish the set.

But then, your legs got used to it and the muscle memory kicked in. Now, your legs still do the work, and even though you vary your intensity, it's still the same motion. I'd recommend mixing it up every two weeks or so. Do an elliptical machine for two weeks...then run for two weeks, then bike. Then weight training...

By mixing it up, you're not letting your muscles get used to the same motion and in turn, you may burn those excess calories.

(BTW, this is the whole concept behind P90x...muscle memory). Check it out online. I've used it for a few weeks now and I'm seeing amazing results.
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I guess that makes sense but running (which would probably be my preference - even though I HATE to run) will be difficult with the chronic shin splints (sp?).

I wonder if DDR would be a good option to alternate with. It's cardio and its fun.:happy:

Ideas?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you've hit a plateau this early on. Do you have a regular bicycle? You would get a different kind of workout on a bicycle than you do on your stationary bike because of changes in terrain and inclines. It's a lot more fun too.

You could also try doing some of the free video workouts at exercisetv.tv - You probably need low impact because of your shin splints, and they have some fun workouts there. I like the Cardio Tease workout. It's relatively low impact, and you can modify any parts that are too intense for you.

Varying your exercise is probably going to be the best thing you can do to break the plateau. You should also vary your calories once in a while- try having a higher calorie day once a week. Not high enough to sabotage your weight loss for the week, but a few hundred extra calories can sometimes kick your body into gear.

A positive attitude towards this weight loss journey helps as well. Think health, and think long term, not next week's weight loss number. Think a year down the road- you know if you stick to the program, there's no way you're not going to be WAY smaller and WAY happier this time next year. The year's going to go by one way or another, so why not stick with the plan, and enjoy the benefits next summer.

Good luck.
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Try walking/jogging or the elliptical. Other than that you should try workout dvds. You also need to make sure you are adding in some sort of strength training 3 days a week as well as core/ab work. So your whole body is being worked out as well. Varying your workouts is great for your body, it keeps it guessing and keeps it working hard. Like they said before, your body gets muscle memory from doing the same thing all the time, thats why circuit training is so effective, you have to do different activities to work all of your muscles not just the same ones every time.
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I'm surprised you've hit a plateau this early on. Do you have a regular bicycle? You would get a different kind of workout on a bicycle than you do on your stationary bike because of changes in terrain and inclines. It's a lot more fun too.

You could also try doing some of the free video workouts at exercisetv.tv - You probably need low impact because of your shin splints, and they have some fun workouts there. I like the Cardio Tease workout. It's relatively low impact, and you can modify any parts that are too intense for you.

Varying your exercise is probably going to be the best thing you can do to break the plateau. You should also vary your calories once in a while- try having a higher calorie day once a week. Not high enough to sabotage your weight loss for the week, but a few hundred extra calories can sometimes kick your body into gear.

A positive attitude towards this weight loss journey helps as well. Think health, and think long term, not next week's weight loss number. Think a year down the road- you know if you stick to the program, there's no way you're not going to be WAY smaller and WAY happier this time next year. The year's going to go by one way or another, so why not stick with the plan, and enjoy the benefits next summer.

Good luck.

I never knew about exercisetv.tv. Thanks! That is so cool. I'm bummed about the plateau too but let's see what I can do to mix it up. I REALLY want to lose weight, get in shape and get my new haircut!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I never knew about exercisetv.tv. Thanks! That is so cool. I'm bummed about the plateau too but let's see what I can do to mix it up. I REALLY want to lose weight, get in shape and get my new haircut!!

I've been waiting to lose some weight before I get a short, funky haircut too. I'm thinking I'll go for it in early October. The scariest part is trying to find a good hairdresser in Fredericton.