Replies

• brandylina
    brandylina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. ^_^
  • 1badvan
    1badvan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My work is busy in the summer and slow in the winter, so during the winter we get 30 mins 3 times a week to do exercise. We (the employees) bought a portable basketball hoop at a yard sale and we play 21 or other games. Some just go for a 30 min walk, and we also have a small weight set and bench to use.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ok, I want to work where you guys work. These sound amazing. My office is only 4 people including myself.
  • heddylamar
    heddylamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There's a company-sponsored Biggest Loser contest, with cash prizes, that's really popular amongst the employees (we're a competitive bunch, but that's part of the mindset needed for what we do). We also have a gym in the office park — $5 for a key card, and membership is an employee perk.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    One of my girl friends had a pedometer challenge at her office. They had teams (unsure of how many per team) and I think the duration was six weeks. They would compete to see which team took the most steps, and at the end of the day, you would check in and get your steps accounted for. Gift card prize for winning team.
  • victorialeehyde
    Options
    Ok, I want to work where you guys work. These sound amazing. My office is only 4 people including myself.

Our office is only 4 too... we did the corporate 5k this year down by the arena!!! It was a blast.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I work at a rural hospital and we have a program called Fresh Start. You can get measured twice a year on six criteria: blood sugar, cholesterol (ldl and hdl), weight, nicotine, and blood pressure. If you meed the standards on all six goals, you get a payout of $200. If you only meet five, you get $100. If you meet four or less, you don't get any money. Obese/overweight people are given achievable goals of lose 4-6 lbs in the next 6 months, and things like that. The hospital also provides many classes to the general public on nutrition, heart health, exercise, etc that the employees are encouraged to attend. There is a small workout closet with a treadmill and elliptical available.
    Love this! Might have to borrow it! Thanks!! =)
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Our company actually promotes it pretty well - we have a $20/month reimbursement for gym membership or gym equipment (up to 1/2 the purchase cost), we have a fitness center onsite, and they have trainers come in from FrontDoor fitness every day at lunch and after work for a bootcamp fitness class for anyone that wants to participate. Several of the employees are also yoga instructors on the side, and they do afternoon yoga sessions a couple of times a week. They also occasionally hold biggest loser type contests - although I haven't seen one of those in awhile. On the flip side, we always have beer on tap after 4, Krispy Kreme is brought in on Fridays, the freezers are stocked with blue-bunny ice cream (although now they're carrying the weight watchers and sweet freedom lines as well as the full-fat ones), and they actually crank up a margarita machine on Monday afternoons. This place does take a work-hard-play-hard approach to pretty much everything :) - oh and the WHOLE company gets revved up for Corporate Challenge every year.
  • jpoulsen2
    jpoulsen2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Can't hide my jealousy! :-p Wish my company did any of these things at all! We aren't offered health insurance, and get scowling looks if we try to take walks on our lunch breaks. I can't imagine having so many healthy programs offered through work! I hope all of you guys take full advantage of them - do it for those of us who can't!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these great ideas! I'm interested in all the responses, and am compiling a list of recommended activities for our next Wellness Committee meeting.