How to add protein to my diet.

Options
Hi guys,

im sure that this has been posted on here on numerous occassions. I am very new to this (today is day 2). i have noticed that i am very low on my protein intake, and im looking of ways to increas this intake without addiong too many calories. I have been top end of my calorie allowance, i know i need more protien as i am quite hungry most of the time- i am curbing this at the moment with water.

I know a good source of protein are shakes, however i cannot stomach them!

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts & nut butters, cheese, cottage cheese, chicken, tuna - all good sources of protein. I had a hard time eating enough at first too - in fact logging my foods was a real eye-opener for me as I thought I was eating pretty well, but found I was way low on protein and too high in other areas.

My diary is open if you want to have a look - although I must say I haven't been the model of good eating lately with vacations, travel, birthdays, 4th of July, and summer in general. :tongue:
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat between 170-200 grams of protein a day, and I get the bulk of my protein from chicken, fish, and Greek yogurt. Those are all high in protein and low in calories. You don't need protein shakes to get protein.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    eggs
    chicken
    turkey
    fish
    red meat
    some dairy (check that the accompanying fat is within your macros also)

nuts are an over rated source of protein.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein shakes to get protein.
    They help a lot for people like me, I'd have to eat way beyond feeling full to eat enough chicken, fish, eggs, etc to fulfil my protein needs. But a protein shake right after working out means I don't have to gag food down when I'm not hungry (plus, mmmmm chocolate!).
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    Nonfat milk has 8 g protein/8 fl oz (90 kcal).
    Egg white (I make a bunch of hardboiled eggs on the weekend) has 4 g protein/25 kcal. Whole egg is 7 g protein/75 kcal.
    Boiled shrimp (those rings from the grocery store) are 8 g protein/oz and very low kcal.
    Skinless poultry, lean beef/pork are all 8 g protein/oz (calorie content varies by fat/marbling).
    Cheese is the highest protein/calorie ratio.

Regular folks need about 0.5 g protein/pound lean body mass (or goal weight, what ever you choose).
    Athletes go up to 1 g/pound.
    Anything more is just expensive calories and increased phosphorous/nitrogen your kidneys have to clear from your blood stream.

kona,
    Registered Dietitian/Crossfit Masters
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Edamame (Dry Roasted Wasabi is my fav)
    Fish
    Beans
    Egg Whites
    Non fat greek yogurt
    Low fat cheese or low fat cottage cheese
    tuna (packed in water)

Also many of the Kashi brand cerals, bars, waffles and oatmeal have tons of protein, so they make a good breakfast choice that will keep you feeling full throughout the morning.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    the best protein has parents.
    low fat high protein:
    Swai (its a fish)
    chicken
    lean turkey
    even lean beefs
  • cait58
    cait58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live on Greek yogurt and cottage cheese!

I've been eating this and it's so good I feel like I'm cheating, haha.

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    chopped up banana
    1 tablespoon of honey
    sprinkle of cinnamon
    ...and stir it up!

It's like dessert, but it's super low calorie (esp. if you use low fat/fat free cottage cheese) and it has protein and fruit!

Good luck!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When counting, remember that

1g protein = 4 cals
    1g carbs = 4 cals
    1g fat = 9 cals
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Peas
    Tuna
    Cottage cheese
    Kashi Go lean cereals
    Whole wheat breads or bagels with peanut butter is a decent amount of protein
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

im sure that this has been posted on here on numerous occassions. I am very new to this (today is day 2). i have noticed that i am very low on my protein intake, and im looking of ways to increas this intake without addiong too many calories. I have been top end of my calorie allowance, i know i need more protien as i am quite hungry most of the time- i am curbing this at the moment with water.

I know a good source of protein are shakes, however i cannot stomach them!

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

I had >19oz. of chicken breast for lunch.....Over 100g protein. Hope that helps.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Nestle Health Science makes a product called Beneprotein - It's 6g protein/25 calories per scoop. It's like Benefiber, where it's supposed to have a minimal impact on the taste or texture of what you mix it with.

I ordered mine from Amazon. Don't know that you'll find it in stores.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump