People who judge!! What would you have done??

Options
So yesterday, I took my children to the beach for an afternoon and evening of fun. Before going, my friend and I, who was also bringing her kids, bought lots of snacks for our children including fruit, different types of crackers (animal, cheez itz, crackers w/cheese, peanut butter crackers) and also some fig newtons. We had an entire basket full and have a small cooler full. Snacking for 9 children. Well when I swim I also like one particular snack, Funyuns. I bought this snack for myself as I too love swimming and I get very hungry when I swim. So I let myself indulge on this snack. The kids know that this snack is mine to have as a mom should be able to have something that is just hers occassionally too, but of course my children always want what I have too. Which is fine, but if I say no, my kids don't care as they know they have everything else that I brought for them. Not to mention if you say yes to one, then all 9 want them too and pretty soon you no longer have a snack.

So here is where we get to what happened! My son asked me for a funyun, I told him no that he could grab one of the other snacks. He said fine and grabbed something else. The lady next to us, started b!tching and saying my kids were starving and here I am just eating away and won't give them a funyun. Keep in mind that I had a total of 5 kids up by me, all of which were actually eating something. 1 of the kids wasn't even a part of our group as I was feeding other kids at the beach as well if they were hanging with my kids. She started saying things like "give up the bag", "quit eating while you're kids are starving", "fat b!tch" etc. I didn't take it all lying down as a few choice words came out of my mouth about her drunken state, the paperbox she was carrying around that had alcohol oozing from it. But what I really wanted to do was give her a good smackdown, but being a mom, I had to show my kids that violence is never an answer, but sometimes that really sucks. I told them that you can use words to stick up for yourself. Which is what they did, but instead they were sticking up for me with a few things they said to her. But I had to show them that sometimes people are just ignorant and you can't change ingnorance in people.

The real issue she had was that I am overweight. You know what, I already know that. It wasn't her issue, so get the hell over it. The thing that ticks me off, is that she is so judgemental about overweight people that she thinks that is what we do. Sit around and eat all the time and apparently starve our children. She was up there all day, did she not see these kids coming up all day getting snacks?

I wasn't up there thinking about her all day surrounded in beer cans, in fact she wasn't even on my radar or did I even notice her until she started running her mouth. I don't go places to sit and look and judge people. I go to places to have a fun, nice day with my children. I don't understand why people act that way. Like me being overweight has anything to do with anyone else. Are people so unhappy with their own lives that they have to try to belittle others to make themselves feel better? I just don't get it.

What would you have done in the situation? I know I did the right thing for my children's sake. Sorry the post is so long, I just needed to vent about it.

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    You handled yourself quite well, I am a guy so I would not have taken action, but I might have had my own choice words. I know there are a lot of people out there that want to believe every child is unhappy and blame the parents right away. That I think was one of my first thoughts. I cannot tell you how many times I see a kid cry and people commenting about how the parent must have done something wrong. These people are ignorant and most likely have no kids or spoil theirs too much. As for judging on weight, that could have been the main reason, or a connection to my above thoughts, but regardless, I would not really let a drunk person bother me too much, I tend not to get upset, like ever.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You are such a lady! That is awesome. I don't have the self control that you have. I would have slapped the **** out of her!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You don't want to know what I would have said.........but it would have been along the lines of f off you drunken **(&^^
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You handled it very well.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    KHITB.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I think you handled it very well... whats even better is that your kids stuck up for you... which should speak volumes as to how you are raising them! I agree, you should be able to have a little something for yourself without having little hands getting in there too. You made sure they were well provided for... obviously that lady had more of a problem with weight than whether or not kids were eating... but even then.. who's to say that kids didnt already eat and you are getting your food ? I usually always feed my kids first and by the time I sit down, they are done and looking like I never even gave them anything. It seems like she just wanted to have something to pick on someone about and you were the unfortunate target.. im sure anyone else who wouldve sat near her wouldve heard her say something about them too. Dont let it get you down, although I can understand your frustration. Kudos to you for keeping your head and being the better person.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What would I have done? Ignored the drunk.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Are people so unhappy with their own lives that they have to try to belittle others to make themselves feel better?

yes.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    KHITB.

kick her in the boob? :huh:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    "Excuse me, do I know you?" Or maybe that only works with sober people . . .
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this happens way too often in our society. People think they have a right to comment on other people's lives without having the slightest idea of what the entire situation may contain. That's all I'm going to say about that part - now let me move on to her drinking....

....One thing I've discovered/learned is that people who tend to habitually drink to excess are doing so as an escape mechanism. To ESCAPE from the REALITY of their lives. So, there she is drunk - with lowered inhibitions - and is saying what's on her mind. Yes, it's wrong, judgemental and cruel - but it's what she is really thinking at that time. I'm very sorry for you that her misery crashed into your good time. :(

Note: NOT ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE DRUNK ARE TRYING TO ESCAPE. They may just be out to have a good time! I've done it - but I would NEVER in a million years be that rude to someone. I despise rudeness.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its no excuse for her behavior, , but she was drunk. why give any thought or energy to what some drunk you never met before says? does it make sense? sorry it happened to you but she aint worth it so let it go as soon as possible,
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

OP did well, better than I might have done, but the better answer is not to teach your kids that responding to verbal asshattery at all is the wrong way to approach the problem. Ignore it, or at worst a quick "please mind your own business" followed by completely ignoring them is the most effective.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You handled yourself quite well, I am a guy so I would not have taken action, but I might have had my own choice words. I know there are a lot of people out there that want to believe every child is unhappy and blame the parents right away. That I think was one of my first thoughts. I cannot tell you how many times I see a kid cry and people commenting about how the parent must have done something wrong. These people are ignorant and most likely have no kids or spoil theirs too much. As for judging on weight, that could have been the main reason, or a connection to my above thoughts, but regardless, I would not really let a drunk person bother me too much, I tend not to get upset, like ever.

My thought would be that she had a bad childhood where that did happen to her, so now she relates her life to everyone else. Imo, I think she wasn't yelling at you so much as she was trying to let out her frustration on one of her own parent's. You just happened to be the person in the way that she could let it out on. I may be COMPLETELY wrong, but it's an idea. But I applaud you. You handled the situation well. You'll probably forget all about it tomorrow since you vented about it to us MFPers!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it would depend my mood at the time. The reponses could have varied from my laughing and crunching Funyuns louding in her direction, to something highly sarcastic and mean, but more likely I would have said something like "Those little rugrats can get a job and buy their own Funyuns if they want some" because I would have found that funny.
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    i woulda tried to bum a beer and smoke from her
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ignoring only makes them think it's okay to hurl abuse at people.

What she really needed was a good beatdown and then maybe she'd think twice about being drunk and abusive towards strangers.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So I guess my bigger concern is that you were in a PUBLIC place, and she was drunk. the last time I checked the government funded parks and beaches are alcohol free. While I generally mind my own business, I may have gone out of my way in this case to call the police and report her.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing - with your kids around you HAVE to lead by example.... even if all you really wanted to do was pop her in the mouth!

.... take all the anger and frustration and put it into a workout. Let her ignorance fuel your workout so you are bettering yourself from the situation.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ignore it or find another spot on the beach....wouldn't have made any difference to do anything else.