Why you shouldn't eat back excercise calories.

Options

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    OK - for kicks, I went in and reset my exercise levels to 0 per week for 0 minutes. It is the same if I put 4 per week for 90 minutes. MFP DOES NOT calculate this into the amount of calories it gives you per day. A little research shows that OP did not have the facts straight.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread, as I am at work and can't take the time to do that right now. Here's my take on the issue. I have my activity level set at "Lightly Active", which means that my workouts are NOT accounted for. However, I rarely eat back more than half of my exercise calories, if at all. The reason? Because I don't have a HR monitor, so I can't be sure of an accurate calorie burn, and because I can't be sure that the calories logged are 100% accurate. I eat my MFP calorie allowance, and, if I'm still feeling hungry (TRULY hungry, not just in the mood to eat), I'll eat a little more...generally not more than 300-350 calories, though.
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So if you are now consuming an extra 700 calories that you "earned" from excercise you are in fact just consuming an extra 700 calories, and are consuming 200 calories above your goal so you will very slowly gain weight instead of losing weight.

If you eat back all 700 that you BURNED earlier then those calories would just equal each other out. -700+700=0. Then your total intake for the day would just be the 1200 or whatever MFP allocates with the 500-1000 ALREADY SUBTRACTED! I've lost a little over 20 lbs in 10 weeks doing this. 2lbs a week, like clockwork.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can understand if you are logging calories for cleaning house or folding clothes and then eating them all back that it wouldn't work... I only count a burn if it is something I have specifically set out to do for the purpose of burning calories, and that helps.

I just don't understand how someone can come on here, saying "This is the one true way" despite HUNDREDS of testimonies otherwise. I don't think there IS "one true way" - I work with horses... my favourite saying is "not every thing works for every horse" and it is 100% true - MANY things work for MOST horses, but every once in a while, you have to think outside of the box. I think it's a good practice to read and learn all you can, pick and choose what works for you to keep in your "toolbox" and move forward. It's an individual journey - but if you're here on MFP and ignoring the entire premise of the site (which is, essentially, eat back your exercise calories - now what actually SHOULD you log as burnt calories is a whole other ballgame), you're not really making any sense at all, are you?

Oh, so we're all HORSES now? Thanks a lot!!!! :wink:

LOL Don't be offended - I relate everything in life to horses (which I know something about) and cars (which I don't - but I have been known to talk about fueling a car like fueling your body more than once!). I have lost 72lbs by eating back my exercise calories. Now, if I could just get control over my weekend eating, I would be on top of the other 72lbs I want to lose!
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    what is a fit bit?

A fitbit is simiar to a pedometer, except it's more accurate and even counts how many flights of stairs you've climbed. You can check it out under the "tools" section of MFP. Also the website is www.fitbit.com.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    And to answer the "sedentary" questions, change it from sedentary to what closer resembles your workout routine. If you choose sedentary and then eat extra only on days you workout, you would still be priming your body for fat storage mode.

Let's say you are eating 1200 on non workout days (as an example only), and then eating 2200 calories on workout days. The message your body is getting is that on non-workout days you are starving and should store fat and cut energy expenditure. I'm sure that you can argue that this approach has worked for 2 weeks, but your body will very quickly adapt and you will start struggling and weight will start going up.

^^
    I disagree. I am Set at 1300. Sedentary job. Eat back my work out calories. Lost 21.5 pounds.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Good explanation. It's not only counter-intuitive not to eat back your exercise calories, it's common sense.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    And to answer the "sedentary" questions, change it from sedentary to what closer resembles your workout routine. If you choose sedentary and then eat extra only on days you workout, you would still be priming your body for fat storage mode.

Let's say you are eating 1200 on non workout days (as an example only), and then eating 2200 calories on workout days. The message your body is getting is that on non-workout days you are starving and should store fat and cut energy expenditure. I'm sure that you can argue that this approach has worked for 2 weeks, but your body will very quickly adapt and you will start struggling and weight will start going up.

^^
    I disagree. I am Set at 1300. Sedentary job. Eat back my work out calories. Lost 21.5 pounds.

I workout six days per week, so I don't think ONE day of rest is going to completely eliminate all my work for the week, either.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Personally - I eat back my calories. Why ? Because it works for me
    Eating BACK my calories I still lose my 2lbs a week.
    Exercise isnt included in the setting of your daily activity level - or atleast I dont account for it in mine. Simply because there are days when exercise is far from my mind.

Everyone's body is different - what works for you might not work or me or the next person.

Its about findingwhat works for you!
  • sageatl
    sageatl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would answer your question. This si exactly what makes it confusing. Don’t add the exercise calories to my intake if I’m not supposed to eat them.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OMG this is what I mean, all this drives me nuts, Im currently eating some of my excerice cals each day but not all. Today for instance, i have burned just over 900, Ive done a 6 mile walk and 53 mins of swimming, I have ate 1700 ish of food and my net is only about 700, so for as long as ive been on here, ive been told to eat those exercise cals. coz if you dont your body is really only getting 700 like today, now im running out of time to eat more today, but it will make up for the over load i had the other day.
    My bmr is 1580, I burn about 1980 a day just being me, so I eat 1500 as per recommend on mfp and I do that if i dont excersise at all. then my body is getting that 1500, but if i do lots like today, my body is getting under 1000 as im burning it off.
  • kbolanowski
    Options
    I have a degree in exercise science and have just started using this program. Your daily expenditure of calories is already going to be lowered if you are trying to lose weight with this program. I have a resting metabolic rate (which means that if you slept a full day and did nothing, my body would burn that many calories) of about 1400 calories per day, so in theory, to maintain your weight you would want to eat that many calories a day. (Also considering the quality of food you eat) Since I am trying to lose weight, my daily expenditure is 1200cals. I run for at least 35 minutes a day. That would mean I burn off an extra 350-400 calories/day. That would put my caloric value for the day at around 850 calories. That is simply not enough calories for one day. It's starvation. You have to refuel your body after exercising. The program already cuts calories to lose weight, using exercise to cut more isn't healthy. Your body will break down muscle and not fat.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have a degree in exercise science and have just started using this program. Your daily expenditure of calories is already going to be lowered if you are trying to lose weight with this program. I have a resting metabolic rate (which means that if you slept a full day and did nothing, my body would burn that many calories) of about 1400 calories per day, so in theory, to maintain your weight you would want to eat that many calories a day. (Also considering the quality of food you eat) Since I am trying to lose weight, my daily expenditure is 1200cals. I run for at least 35 minutes a day. That would mean I burn off an extra 350-400 calories/day. That would put my caloric value for the day at around 850 calories. That is simply not enough calories for one day. It's starvation. You have to refuel your body after exercising. The program already cuts calories to lose weight, using exercise to cut more isn't healthy. Your body will break down muscle and not fat.

I am doing this very thing and gaining muscle and losing fat.

There is no right answer, guys.
  • Bearman45
    Bearman45 Posts: 46
    Options
    I eat 'em. More or less. Simple as that...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    OK - for kicks, I went in and reset my exercise levels to 0 per week for 0 minutes. It is the same if I put 4 per week for 90 minutes. MFP DOES NOT calculate this into the amount of calories it gives you per day. A little research shows that OP did not have the facts straight.

True. If you're talking about the bit of the profile that I'm thinking of then, yes, it shouldn't adjust. I take it to mean that those "exercise levels" are your goal - you plan to work out 0 per week for 0 minutes, or 4 per week for 90 minutes. That's what appears on your exercise tab. Your calorie allowance will stay the same until you actually add in the exercise you've done.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Wrong. There is a right answer. Calorie in < Calories out = Loss in Body Mass.

And you can't "gain muscle" as much as you think you can while losing fat.

All these myths that are "common sense" need to be put down already. It's getting old.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Wrong. There is a right answer. Calorie in < Calories out = Loss in Body Mass.

And you can't "gain muscle" as much as you think you can while losing fat.

All these myths that are "common sense" need to be put down already. It's getting old.

I'm sure there is an article/research to back up every method. What I see is what works for me. And it doesn't apply to your straight forward rules. I'm eating ~1200, exercising, losing weight, and getting stronger. It's not complicated. That's just how I'm doing it.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there is an article/research to back up every method. What I see is what works for me. And it doesn't apply to your straight forward rules. I'm eating ~1200, exercising, losing weight, and getting stronger. It's not complicated. That's just how I'm doing it.

"What works for me" is great... for the individual.

I don't understand why people can't realize the basic science of it.
    A calorie is a unit of energy.
    Your body expends energy to maintain itself (organ function etc.)
    You then expend more energy with daily activity.
    Eat less than you expend and you will lose weight.

Consistently eating less than you need means you lower the amount of energy your bodily functions use.
    This happens either by losing mass (means there is less weight to carry so your body doesn't have to use as much energy to support itself) or your other body processes slow down (thinking, breathing, liver functions, etc.).

Do this for an extended period of time and even 1200 calories will be too much. If you want to keep eating less and less until your body can't survive on anything lower then be my guest.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I set mfp to sedentary, use my fitbit and an hrm and eat back most of what I burn extra. I wouldn't do very well maintaining my weight if I carried on burning 700-1000 over my sedentary calories and didn't eat them back.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    There's alot of debate among people here as to whether you should or shoul not eat bac excercise calories. Let me offer you an explanation as to why you should not eat back excercise calories, and hopefully this will put the topic to a rest.

Put this topic to rest? This is the FUNNIEST thing I have ever read on these message boards...