Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Replies

• SVallatini
    SVallatini Posts: 49
    Ok. well let's see if I can get some more people wound up about this particular post. I was told if you want to LOOK GOOD on the outside, then you should just strength train, if you want to LOOK GOOD on the inside and outside, then cardio and strength training are the perfect combo for that. I would like to think that most of us would want to achieve both!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

If you can't read your own posts and see it I can't help you.

I repeat - QUOTE ME. You can't can you lol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Well lets see, I have hypothyroidism and my endo actually told me to DO cardio because I was lifting too much and causing my body to freak out. People with hypothyroid can not to high intensity workouts so this whole thing is BS. Every doc out there will tell you to do weight training AND cardio

I swore to myself I wasn't going to say anything else on this thread, BUT.....(assuming to=do and there's not some other massive typo obscuring your point) the bolded statement is completely unfounded. I think you may have misinterpreted why the doctor told you to do cardio- or said Dr didn't explain themselves clearly. I believe that your doctor told you to do cardio- because cardio is good for people with hypothyroid, and not because it in any way will help or cure thyroid disease, but because hypothyroid suppresses our BMR and makes us burn less calories that the average healthy Jane Doe, and cardio burns calories, allowing people with hypothyroid to eat more calories and live a higher quality of life. I do what I would consider high intensity workouts a LOT, and have been losing weight slowly and never felt better- I run 10 or 11 miles once a week, a speed workout once a week for about 5k and an in-between mileage run, in the 6-8 mile range. I also lift heavy 2-3 times a week, and do cross training cardio on lifting days. I assure you, n=1, people with hypothyroid can do all kinds of high intensity stuff. And weight lifting does not make your body freak out- I don't know how to address that statement because I have no idea what it means.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Well lets see, I have hypothyroidism and my endo actually told me to DO cardio because I was lifting too much and causing my body to freak out. People with hypothyroid can not to high intensity workouts so this whole thing is BS. Every doc out there will tell you to do weight training AND cardio

I swore to myself I wasn't going to say anything else on this thread, BUT.....(assuming to=do and there's not some other massive typo obscuring your point) the bolded statement is completely unfounded. I think you may have misinterpreted why the doctor told you to do cardio- or said Dr didn't explain themselves clearly. I believe that your doctor told you to do cardio- because cardio is good for people with hypothyroid, and not because it in any way will help or cure thyroid disease, but because hypothyroid suppresses our BMR and makes us burn less calories that the average healthy Jane Doe, and cardio burns calories, allowing people with hypothyroid to eat more calories and live a higher quality of life. I do what I would consider high intensity workouts a LOT, and have been losing weight slowly and never felt better- I run 10 or 11 miles once a week, a speed workout once a week for about 5k and an in-between mileage run, in the 6-8 mile range. I also lift heavy 2-3 times a week, and do cross training cardio on lifting days. I assure you, n=1, people with hypothyroid can do all kinds of high intensity stuff. And weight lifting does not make your body freak out- I don't know how to address that statement because I have no idea what it means.

I agree, I have NEVER been told not to do any sort of exercise due to my hypothyroidism.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

With all due respect, I don't take orders from you. It's so great when people like you make my point for me with thier repeated posts.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    hey scott. I'll snip the essay you wrote to save space. . . .
    I saw another study in a book once where they took a group of people in a prison (controlled environment) and fed them all a very high calorie diet. Some gained a whole lot of weight and some gained very little. They did it the other way also by restricting calories. Some lost a lot easily and some did not.

This mirrors my own experience to an extent. A couple of times I have spent several years eating what ever I wanted, much of it from the candy and chip machine, drinking four or five beers a night, and doing absolutely no exercise. On both these occasions I gain weight but only up to a point. I get to somewhere between 205 and 215 fairly quickly and stop gaining. I'm not sure if I just stop absorbing the calories or if I subconciously start eating less. I believe it is the former because I can put away a large amount of food and am very good at being sedentary when I put my mind to it.

So I agree that there is more going on than simple calories in vs. calories out and that for undetermined reasons different people react differently to exercise. One reason I like to run instead of lift weights is because I am fairly good at running when I work at it but not so good in the gym. It used to be somewhat disheartening to spend some months working my way up to a 225 bench press when other guys could do 300+ in less time. The only thing I was somewhat successful at was deadlifting I suppose because it relies more on lower body and back than upper body and maybe also because nobody else was doing it at the time. So, body structure, muscle composition, and probably some other factors all weigh in on how much and how quickly each individual responds to both diet and various types of exercise. [The counterargument is that If I put as much effort in the gym as I do in running I might be more successful there. Granted.]

On the article itself: If the author had recrafted his argument to highlight the dangers of working yourself into a state of overtraining then he would have hit the mark. The woman concerned, with a disrupted endocrine system, was showing the symptoms. But he missed the mark by attacking cardio itself and blamed the mode of exercise rather than placing the blame on the state of overtraining where it belonged. I don't know what kind of cardio she was doing but the article implied treadmill type stuff for 20+ hours a week. Even olympic level athletes do not normally train that much, particularly for any extended period of time. She was a recipe for disaster not because of the exercise mode but because of an insane program with too much exercise and no recovery. If she had gone into the gym to lift weights for 20 hours a week I expect we could have generated a similar result.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member

I agree, I have NEVER been told not to do any sort of exercise due to my hypothyroidism.

Same here. i have been hypothyroid for ten years and have done and enjoyed lots of things, from training for long races, heavy lifting, circuits, intervals...I do think that sometimes untreated hypothyroidism can make it harder to work out, since you are sluggish and exhausted.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

With all due respect, I don't take orders from you. It's so great when people like you make my point for me with thier repeated posts.

I am not giving orders I am asking you to walk your talk and quote me, you cannot because I did not do what you said lol.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Wow has this thread run amuck!
  • hey scott. I'll snip the essay you wrote to save space. . . .
    I saw another study in a book once where they took a group of people in a prison (controlled environment) and fed them all a very high calorie diet. Some gained a whole lot of weight and some gained very little. They did it the other way also by restricting calories. Some lost a lot easily and some did not.

This is actually very true and the experiment has been repeated by different people, some peoples metabolism speeds up in response to food and can actually grow muscle just by upping calories. Others will find that surplus will cause a big increase in fat storage. People theorise that this is linked to the fact that you keep roughly the same number of fat cells your whole life(unless you eat like a glutton at which point your adipose cells reach a max size then split). The problem with this is that even if you shrink those cells they stay around waiting to store up fat again.
    I firmly believe that the number one cause of people being moderately overweight is genetics but I rarely mention is as those who find it easy to lose weight or those that had a good metabolism in the first place but ruined it by **** ba adnd NO exercise will always argue the point. I see the proof every day on people I know who go straight from the GYM to the pub on the way home and sink three pints.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    From my personal experience as a cyclist and a runner, I started to become soft when I stopped doing as much cardio as I did before. Now the weight is falling off, with changes to my measurements, because I am finally back on my routine. Yes I do lift weights at least twice a week.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    There was a fair bit of give and take sarcasm between several individual posters for the last several days. It wasn't until today that this was generalized to say, "Everyone that doesn't agree with my opinion and training methods is 50 lbs overweight."
    There is a big difference between 'tend to', which is what I said, and EVERYONE. Just saying.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

Ok, I can see that. How about some of Meerkat's snide and condescending remarks? Your take on those?
    There was a fair bit of give and take sarcasm between several individual posters for the last several days. It wasn't until today that this was generalized to say, "Everyone that doesn't agree with my opinion and training methods is 50 lbs overweight."
    There is a big difference between 'tend to', which is what I said, and EVERYONE, which is what you said I said. Talk about fueling the fire!

It's a lost cause brother...let it burn.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I have an important question- what fitness routine can I use to get taller?
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    +1
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    +1

Good Lord, add me in here. If you runners can answer that...I'll be impressed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Inquiring minds want to know........
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    But obviously you're right. Looking at my own progress, I'm a total weightloss write off. I've still got some left to lose, and consequently I have no experience at all in weight management, and must defer to those young blokes who've lost a couple of pounds but don't have much left to lose....

In all honesty it is easier to lose if you're 100+ lbs from normal. You can't claim much experience in weight management if you got that bad in the first place. Even if there is some sort of illness or metabolic condition, you still have to over eat a great deal for quite some time. While you can give decent advice to someone with a lot to lose, I can't see your experience being helpful to a healthy person trying to lean out or get fit.

How dare you speak to somebody like that, I think you are completely and utterly out of order!!!

I cannot see YOUR experience being helpful to somebody who has a lot to lose to be honest and your attitude stinks. I suggest you look carefully at your interaction with others before you even speak to them.

Good God, what the hell is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!

Its very simple. It takes more food to maintain 300lbs of body mass. Just eating at the same calorie amount as someone smaller will cause weight loss. It was easier for me to lose weight 30lbs ago as well. I'm talking in a purely physiological sense. I'm not sure what kind of emotional problems are at stake and that wasn't the concern.

And what Kara said.

This is NOT the issue or what was being discussed. YOU moved it into that area and told someone how, because they lad lost a lot of weight and should not have got to that weight in the first place, they were not really qualified to advise others.

Don't try to tell me about calorie deficits either, because that is taking the attention away from what is really going on here.

I don't get why you're getting so upset over me stating the obvious. I still stand by what I say. I would prefer to take advice from someone with actual experience or who is already at the goal I'd like to attain. Certain things it doesn't matter, but with health/lifestyle advice I wouldn't take that kind of advice from someone who can't follow it or hasn't lived it long enough.

Its pretty well known that the large majority of people who lose weight gain it back. Even people counting calories and on healthy diets. If I wanted to take diet advice from someone it would be someone who either got to a healthy, lean, and fit weight and maintained it for years or someone who has always been healthy their whole life.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    There is a big difference between 'tend to', which is what I said, and EVERYONE. Just saying.
    Peace.
  • Hey, guys, instead of speculation and biased interpretation of surroundings, are there any scientific journals or studies you could link to that would support or refute either idea? :x