sugarrrrrrr

Options
Hi All!!! I'm back using MFP to track my out of control eating. After losing 30 lbs over the course of about 8 months, I've gained all but 10 lbs back in a matter of 3 months! :(

In those 3 months the big culprit is SUGAR. All things sweet, and VERY sweet. (frosted cookies, donuts, cakes, candies...etc) I've been going through depressed days where I cry and don't want to get out of bed, so sleepy during the day, headaches, and just feeling like muck. It dawned on me that I bet this is from all the sweets I've been eating!!

So I gotta quit. I've been reading some other posts of people quitting cold turkey and some weaning themselves off. For me, it's such a struggle that having just ONE Oreo will lead me to another and another and another. I want to learn control, but I think it's best right now to cut it out cold turkey! (but I will still eat fruit)

Are there any challenges, or goals out there that you follow to help keep you on track and honest? I know I'll need help with this. Like an alcoholic walking into a liquor store....as soon as a walk into a grocery store I go to the bakery area to look for a cookie or some type if "treat". I can't do it anymore!!!!!

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    If it's that bad of an addiction, first off just get everything out of the house (and not by eating it). Just throw it out. Then next time you want to buy a box of cookies, you'll remember how much money you wasted by throwing it out last time. Number two, try wearing a rubber band on your wrist and snap it if you're about to go off the deep end. Replace that cookie with a stick of celery.

I work out so whenever I *think* about having a cookie.. I remember how hard I've worked and how bad I DON'T want to bust my butt for another 30 minutes just to cover a treat that lasts 2 minutes.

If you'd like, you can add me. If you have a good day, you get an e-high five. Bad day, you'll get a sad face. :(
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think cold turkey is the way to go. I learned after avoiding sugar that when I ate it I got a terrible headache and was tired. Those feelings were enough to keep me from repeating the same mistake again.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey worked for me. I felt like complete crap for 3 days. I'm not saying that to keep you from cutting it, just be prepared for the detox. Fight through it, drink plenty of fluids and rest. After the 3rd day I felt a million times better and I struggle with depression and anxiety myself. I haven't had a serious bout with he darkness since I made the shift. I'm not saying it isn't there but I can can fight it without the crap food throwing for me a loop on top of it. It took 3 months before I trusted myself to have a bite of chocolate. There are still foods I won't touch because I have no stop button with them.

It's 1000% worth it. I promise. Please add me if you like...I'll help in any way I can. :flowerforyou: