Denied health insurance for being too fat...

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I just want to add this for those who missed it:

The insurance company viewed my weight loss as a RISK. It was part of the reason I was DENIED. When they asked if I'd lost more than 30 lbs. in the past 12 months, I checked yes.

On my DENIAL rider, it was listed, in addition to my overall weight, as a reason for their denial.

On what planet does that make sense?!

This is likely because someone who has recently (very recently) lost a bunch of weight is very likely to regain it. Sucks, but statistics say that.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    According to a few articles I have read, Obamacare will allow 'penalties' for smokers and obese people. I was hoping all this would end in 2014, but it appears it won't.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/health-plans-obese-smokers-supreme-court_n_1636139.html
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This is just the beginning. Companys are starting to hire/fire people based on their weight. This is one of the primary reasons I started a non profit nutrition company. I use government grants to allow me to help people combat this obesity crisis. Obesity is a significant contributing risk factor to 5 of the 10 leading causes of death. Heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease. As if that wasn't bad enough now people are losing jobs and health insurance. I was an athlete and pretty active my entire life and I still got to be 300 lbs with cholesterol over 450. No one ever educated me as to what proper exercise and nutrition really meant.

E
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Move up to Canada...I have room...we will take care of you. :flowerforyou:

That is so sweet!

I am so sorry this happened to you.

I have insurance through my work. They started this "Wellness" program. They gave out cheapy pedometers and not really anything else. Then a couple years later we had to fill out health questionnaires to remain participants. To be a participant you received a very little discount on your rate. Now they have added to this that you are required to go in for a physical where they measure you, weigh you, test your bood sugar, cholesterol, and they test for nicotine. This really makes me mad because if you don't comply your insurance will go up significantly. Even if you do comply, if they find something wrong, your insurance will go up. This is a policy I have had now for 12 years. Not only did I have to go, my husband had to also as an adult on the policy.

I think most insurance companies will be going to this sort of thing. I have a friend that works at a hospital and they had to do the same thing, however they received incentives and if there were problems they had programs to fix them. They weren't punished by rate increases.

What pisses me off about insurance companies (or at least mine) is if I go to the Dr. and insurance says they can charge $100, they charge $100 of which I have to pay a percentage. If I was uninsured, most hospitals and Drs discount the charge for their services. If they could charge $50 for a service but charge me $100 because they can- this makes the percentage I have to pay out of pocket more, when I'm already paying a portion of my pay for the health insurance.

I don't make a lot of money to begin with, when you take out the family health insurance it is even smaller. I paid my premiums and never went to the doctor or had any injuries for the first 7 years I had my policy. Then I injured my back and had to have surgery. Surgery didn't fix it, so now have ongoing costs associated with that. I can't go with out insurance.
    But when you think about it, if I didn't have it, I would have all the money they take out of my check, and would have cheaper doctor bills too for being uninsured. How is that fair?

Gonna get screwed anyway you look at it, the way I am looking at it is that I'm going to do the best I can to get myself healthy for myself.

Personally, I wouldn't want the government controlled health care to tell me I was too old or too sick to fix so I only qualified for palliative care until I died, or to tell me which procedure I could get because of costs.
    From my understanding, there are people coming from government controlled health care to the US to have procedures their government won't allow.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Was your weight the sole reason for your denial? From what I understand, that is pretty rare (especially if you are young). Typically, if you have a history of frequent/chronic medical problems in addition to higher weight, you may be denied.

Not rare at all. It's an automatic denial with my company. Of course acne treated with medication is an automatic denial with some companies. (No joke. I see the denial letters all too often.)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Bobbie Clerici said:

"Because individuals who don't take care of themselves should not expect others to pay their way.
    You want to live free and get fat?
    You may also live with the consequences.
    Just don't make it my problem. "

Whoa - who peed in your wheaties this morning.

She's here. She's doing the right thing. From your profile you were one of those 'fatties' at one time too. I'd think you'd be more understanding.
    Not one bit.
    Take ownership of your health and stop running around with your hand out demanding others pay your way.
    Simple deal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The insurance company viewed my weight loss as a RISK. It was part of the reason I was DENIED. When they asked if I'd lost more than 30 lbs. in the past 12 months, I checked yes.

On my DENIAL rider, it was listed, in addition to my overall weight, as a reason for their denial.

This is likely because someone who has recently (very recently) lost a bunch of weight is very likely to regain it. Sucks, but statistics say that.

Yes, this ^^ is true. It also means that your risk is probably greater because you used to be even heavier.

It is also possible that they were refering to unintentional weight loss, which is often an indication of disease. I work in healthcare and I know many healthcare forms don't make this clear, but that's what they are really interested in. If you see this on a form and it doesn't specify, always ask if you can.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Wow....some of you guys are pretty harsh. She just wanted to vent and be understood a little.... didn't your mom teach you that if you have nothing nice to say to shut the hell up?? Oops - I meant to not say anything at all?? (I like my version better).
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    According to a few articles I have read, Obamacare will allow 'penalties' for smokers and obese people. I was hoping all this would end in 2014, but it appears it won't.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/health-plans-obese-smokers-supreme-court_n_1636139.html

Honestly, those have already been in affect for years. This just means now it's sanctioned.
  • healthycrane
    Options

This is what I was going to say.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome to health care in the U.S.! Remind me again why people are opposed to overhauling the entire health care system...
    Because individuals who don't take care of themselves should not expect others to pay their way.
    Just don't make it my problem.

If you carry health insurance in the U.S. like I do, then you and me both pay for the uninsured via co-pays and all other crazy-*kitten* billing that gets thrown our way. I am not on any prescription meds, am a healthy weight, have no medical issues, and generally just use the doctor for well being check ups. My premiums go up on average of anywhere from 10-20% PER YEAR. Believe me, we are ALL paying for the uninsured whether you want to see it or not.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    These companies are out to make money. Healthcare Insurance is not a social service yet.
    Obese people eat up more costs due to all the health issues they bring upon themselves.

Once the government takes over, that will ruin healthcare for the healthy while all the resources are drained away to pay for those who do not take care of themselves. It will actually be worse.
    Everybody expects other people to pay their way.
    Few just want to carry their own weight and take ownership of their life as well as their health.

My mom is 5'4 and 145 lbs. and has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and is a smoker. She has no problems obtaining insurance. I have been overweight my entire life. I do not, and even have not, eaten McDonald's every day. I've never smoked a day in my life. I walk all the time. I have great blood pressure, great blood sugar, normal cholesterol levels and no health problems. Oh-- and I'm losing weight. Another "ding" in my record for them was the fact that i checked "yes" when they asked if I'd lost more than 30 pounds in the past 12 months.

Yeah. All of us fatties just want a free ride and a bag of Ring Dings. That's totally it.

You being denied that insurance was not a personal attack you you. It is a numbers game. The Underwriter looks at the numbers and you didn't fall into the range. Simply that.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Well there should be a penalty but no one should be denied. Someone who is not obese and does not smoke should not have to pay the same as those who do/are. I think corporations insurance should take into account this as well. I've never smoked, I've never been obese my costs go up every year thanks to those who do/are. There was a time at work where it seemed EVERYONE that was 75lb or more overweight was getting lap band surgery through insurance at my company and then our rates started to skyrocket. Just my opinion. I'm all for Obamacare but I think there should be standards as well.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Welcome to health care in the U.S.! Remind me again why people are opposed to overhauling the entire health care system...

Private businesses should be able to turn away customers if they believe having a particular customer would hurt their business. I'm an accountant; if someone asks me to prepare his/her tax return and I believe that person is ultimately not going to pay me for services rendered, I have every right to turn them down, don't I? It would be a poor business decision for me to take on a client who I am pretty sure is not going to pay me. It's the same principle with insurance companies.

Insurance is a hedge against risk. The insurance company's actuaries have determined that it is more likely that an obese person will continue to gain weight as he/she gets older and, thus, become a bigger risk. If that happens, he/she will likely never pay in enough money in premiums to cover what the company will have to pay out for his/her medical care, so the company should most definitely have the right to turn down an applicant it believes is too risky.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Because individuals who don't take care of themselves should not expect others to pay their way.
    Just don't make it my problem.

If you carry health insurance in the U.S. like I do, then you and me both pay for the uninsured via co-pays and all other crazy-*kitten* billing that gets thrown our way. I am not on any prescription meds, am a healthy weight, have no medical issues, and generally just use the doctor for well being check ups. My premiums go up on average of anywhere from 10-20% PER YEAR. Believe me, we are ALL paying for the uninsured whether you want to see it or not.

Thank you! This is exactly right.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If anyone knows of a health insurance company that will look at more than just that stupid scale, please let us know! This is simply ridiculous. Smokers with other chronic conditions can get coverage, but not me???? What the F!

I work for a health insurance company processing our state's version of the Federally mandated total coverage for the uninsurable. Per the Supreme Court's recently upheld Healthcare Bill, it is required that each state mandate coverage for those that a regular insurance company won't insure. There are any number of insurance companies that these policies go through, but you have to find out what the program is called in your state. (In Illinois, it's called Illinois Pre-existing Insurance Plan, shortened to IPXP.) Once you know that, you can find out which insurance companies offer these plans. Your state's health department should have the information on their website.

The rates can only take into account one's age and if whether the applicant is a smoker or not. Height/Weight ratio cannot be considered for eligibility or rates. There is a catch, however. You must be uninsured for at least six months, you must be a legal US citizen or resident, and you must show proof of residency in the state in which you are applying to be eligible.

I deal with this policy in Illinois every day, so if you'd like some help in figuring the process out, please feel free to PM me. I can't promise that you'll get it because there is a cap on the budget per state, but I can promise that you'll at least know how to apply.

This plan in Missouri is called "the Missouri Health Insurance Pool" MHIP ---

most states do have a plan already set up for high risk folks, i recommend you find a good insurance broker who can help you navigate the system in your state. find insurance information on line might be quik and easy but to start to understand the in and out and ups and downs I recommend a broker. If you are denied the broker also knows what your next step is. They have much more information regarding different types of policies, prices and guidelines --- and they receive the latest up today information for national care (good or bad). if not wait till 2014 and jump in once of those exchanges!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I can understand that this must be a hard pill to swallow, and honestly I don't know why insurance companies don't just charge more for people who fall into high risk categories. Especially catergories that are self inflicted, such as obesity or smoking or something along those lines.

Keep in mind, that some obesity is due to medical conditions. For them to not be obese would be equivalent to you being a world-class athlete. Yes, it can be done but takes intense work and dedication and is not always compatible with gainful employment or life!
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am 5'4" and currently 271 pounds...down from 292. My husband took a job that he could not pass up, but that does not have a group health insurance plan, so we went shopping too. All I can get, it seems, is discount programs...not actual insurance...until I get down to 230 pounds. I have no other conditions...no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no anything. I am even doing C25K and TurboFire!

If anyone knows of a health insurance company that will look at more than just that stupid scale, please let us know! This is simply ridiculous. Smokers with other chronic conditions can get coverage, but not me???? What the F!

I totally understand. Luckily, we do have the option of continuing insurance through his school, but it costs an arm and a leg. I can see them charging MORE for overweight people, but denying altogether when they have abcolutely no other health conditions? Absolutely insane. Not to mention, none of the plans cover anything to help us lose weight. What a back-a$$ward society we live in.

If you were to stay at your current weight, you would develope health conditions. If they insured you now they would be responsible for that later.

What's *kitten* backward is that people think it's up to someone else to help them lose weight.

Wait...when did the OP say she wanted someone else to help her lose weight?
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I can understand that this must be a hard pill to swallow, and honestly I don't know why insurance companies don't just charge more for people who fall into high risk categories. Especially catergories that are self inflicted, such as obesity or smoking or something along those lines.

Keep in mind, that some obesity is due to medical conditions. For them to not be obese would be equivalent to you being a world-class athlete. Yes, it can be done but takes intense work and dedication and is not always compatible with gainful employment or life!

"Yes it can be done" is all I heard. Every single person has their trials. Some people have to put more effort into things than others. That doesn't mean it's ok to just give up.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Honestly, those have already been in affect for years. This just means now it's sanctioned.

Hey, I figure if we're all going to be TAXED and therefore get taxed even more when people are overweight... we might as well socialize gyms as well. I think the government should give everyone FREE gym membership. Lets start a petition...
This discussion has been closed.