Answer this one for me...

Options
I know you can...

Here it is, I've been away for a few months and put on some weight again. Now that I've logged on once again I went in to change my "stats". The BMR calculation says I need 1,555 calories just to function, but the MFP Food page is setting me at 1,200 calories a day.

Please explain. Thanks!

P.S. Friends... it good to "see" you again and I hope all is well!

Replies

• ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know you can...

Here it is, I've been away for a few months and put on some weight again. Now that I've logged on once again I went in to change my "stats". The BMR calculation says I need 1,555 calories just to function, but the MFP Food page is setting me at 1,200 calories a day.

Please explain. Thanks!

P.S. Friends... it good to "see" you again and I hope all is well!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about you the other day, thinking about how you mentioned "team in training". welcome back!

Yes, MFP will allow you to eat below your BMR. (I think it's the one flaw in the system)

Personally, I would not advise eating below your BMR. If you're after aggressive weight loss and have less to lose, it just sort of "defaults" to 1200 calories.

I think that you should figure your BMR+daily activity-500 and go from there. You can set your calorie target manually under "goals" "custom". This is what I've done. I was literally falling over at 1200 calories. (my BMR is closer to 1400)

:flowerforyou:
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the information!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi A! Glad to see ya back on!

The only thing I can think of is that you put in 2 lbs a week, is that right?

That brings me down below my BMR too. That is a little scarey isn't it.
    Dunno, I guess you can try it and see if it works, then maybe push up
    your cals incrementally until you find that nice point where you are loosing
    weight consistantly. I would probably hover somewhere just above
    your BMR to be sure, you can always drop it down if it isn't working like you
    thought.