I want to avoid knee trouble

Options
Hi, I am almost 200 lbs, with between 45-60 lbs to lose**, and I am hesitant to go running since the last few times I've gone, my knee has been bothering me. I'd like to lose some more weight first doing lower impact cardio, so that I can eventually work up to jogging/running. I currently do a lot of walking. When I'm in better health (I currently have bronchitis and a sinus infection), I will go to the gym and do the elliptical machine and 20 minutes of walking on the treadmill with a slight incline.

I was hoping to get some more ideas on low impact cardio activities that are still burning off the calories until I can get to a more reasonable weight so that I can avoid nagging knee and ankle injuries in the meantime and start doing more intense workouts later on down the road.

Has anybody else had knee or ankle problems as a result of being overweight and trying to do intense cardio? If I am errant in my thinking on this I am willing to accept it, I just don't see how putting high impact on my knees, which are built to carry about 60lbs less of me- and subsequently 60lbs less fat, are able to absorb that weight without it causing either immediate and/or long term problems. I know a few people in my life who are currently undergoing knee replacement surgery or other similar procedures who are close to my weight or heavier.

**My goal weight is 155 based on my muscular build, and 140 based on my BMI. My plan is to go for 155, and see at that point whether I need to continue to lose weight, or whether I should focus on maintaining my weight and focus on toning and fine tuning instead.

Replies

• ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't have major knee issues and want to keep it that way, so I walk, ride bikes, and roller blade along with lifting weights regularly. If I had access to a pool I would swim, as I believe that is an excellent way to get a good workout with low impact. My parents walk, bike, and swim also and are in excellent shape.

I think you have to listen to your body. I don't run or do high impact aerobics because when I try I have foot, shin, and bladder issues, so I'd rather stick with what works for me and doesn't land me in Prompt Care. Others will argue that running is the end-all, but whatever. Do what you will stick with for the long haul.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My plan is to buy a bike soon, but I've been trying to work on my finances as well, so I think now might be the first time in awhile that I would be in a position to buy one. I like the idea of roller blades too- even though I'm pretty clumsy... :)
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Swimming!!!!! No impact! Also bike???? Try taking a codliver oil tablet a day - I'm a lot less achy in my knees and hips since I started doing this!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Get knee braces. They helped me a TON!! like 13 bux each at Walmart. Also, ice your knees after your work outs.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger and my knees hurt, I wore a brace. Also try to stay off pavement, gravel was ideal for me. Shorter strides give a lower impact as well.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sadly I fit this scenario. I have two bad knees. Both knees have soft cartilage, one knee has some necrosis and repaired ACL, and the other a minor meniscus tear.

I was VERY large for my frame at 238 and started to lose weight using the recumbent bike. I then moved to the elliptical. Now I'm in worse pain, but that is because I started doing squats. Running is out of the question for me. I don't do high impact sports or exercises at all.

Every person is different, but if your knees hurt you now, you need to be doing exercises that will strengthen the knees.. Pilates types of exercises. You can bike to get the core muscles built up, and by working the smaller muscles ensure that you keep your knees strong. Biking, swimming and other exercises are good. Roller blades were bad for me because I was very clumsy.. injuries all the time.

Good luck, add me as a friend if you want help support or motivation. Bad knees are something you have to work around. It can be done!!! I'm living proof.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I went for it anyway, though my knees "bothered" me when I first started running. They are stronger now, and I get a rare twinge, which ibuprofen usually helps.

That said, consult your physician first...
  • happyclappy36
    Options
    I have bad knees and can tell you that running on them if they hurt will only make it worse. Wait until they no-longer hurt before trying to run. I can't wait until my physio has helped my knees enough to let me go running; I've had bad knees for a year now and not being able to do cardio whilst trying to lose weight has sucked!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What you really need to do is strengthen your knees and all the supporting muscles. This article has some helpful exercises: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=363

While you're working to get some of the weight off, do more lower-impact things like the elliptical and biking or swimming, but also work on the strengthening and correcting any muscle imbalances you currently have. I had no idea how important it was until I ended up having surgery due to torn cartilage (non-running related, btw). I went through 4 months of PT afterward and now the surgical knee is stronger than the other one! What I learned is all the muscles in your legs from your feet to your butt, and even your lower back are interconnected. The have to work together in a balanced fashion or you end up with injury. Squats, walking lunges, back lunges, side lunges and working your gluteous minimus and maximus are some of the most important things you can do. Don't wear knee braces unless you are instructed to by an orthopedic dr or a physical therapist. That will lead to loss of muscle in your knees and open you up to even more injury.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee from an injury and then again injured at the gym, while working with a trainer!

The low impact is good .. you are on track with the walking and so forth. If your gym has a bicycle I would recommend that in order to change things up.

I would also recommend weight training sometime. Not immediately if you can't do it, but in time work on building leg muscle. ALL parts of the leg. And your core. As I build the muscle, I notice it helps with the knee. It has not been easy and you have to listen to your body, but more muscle will help to strengthen the muscles around the knee, which in turn helps the knee.

I see another note of consult your physician.. good idea too. Ask them if there are any exercises you can do. When I hurt my knee, I had Physical Therapy and the exercises they provided helped, as long as you do them :)

Good luck and great job on what you have done so far!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Swimming

Bicycling (but get a good bike and have it adjusted properly for you - a poorly-adjusted or poorly-fitting bike will do major bad juju to your knees fast)

Elliptical

Brisk walking on gravel or dirt trails, with good solid walking shoes.

Also, this is an excellent time to start working on building/maintaining muscle (which burns calories) and strengthening your core (which will give you the capability of doing many more things). Planks, squats (with good technique), and various resistance exercises will help make sure that the weight you lose is mostly fat, and the weight you retain is mostly muscle.

This won't help much on the scale in the short term, but it will be hugely helpful for your overall health, and also will unlock lots of new capabilities as you lose weight, setting you up for much better athletic performance (and better weight loss) as you progress.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I suffer from knee problems and my sister has trouble with her ankles, so we know where you're coming from. I have between 60-100 lbs to lose, depending on how my BF% comes out (I'm shooting for an ultimate goal of 23-21%) and I was very nervous about starting workouts with my knees. I found that the elliptical was a great place to start and gave me absolutely no trouble. Once that became easy enough our trainer had us start doing high intensity intervals (resistance up and as fast as you can go forward for 2 mins, backwards slow rest for 1min then forward 2.5 mins and slow back for 1.5, etc). He also has us doing stairmaster level 8 (or as high as I can stand) for one minute, stop/rest for 30 secs for 15 mins on the clock. It's short but brutal. We also walk at the highest treadmill incline for 45 mins. None of these exercises have caused me problems. You might also want to consider water jogging, if you have a pool available. Great resistance at 0 impact. :)

After two months of doing this I was actually able to jog the other day with no problems (other than wearing myself out). My knees have been giving me less and less trouble, I think it's been two weeks since I've even felt a light twinge.

Don't forget the power of resistance and inclines; I see so many people get on an elliptical and run like a gazelle but never break a sweat because they don't use any of the settings to make it challenging.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!

I didn't add this earlier, but I do strength training as well- when I do go to the gym, which hasn't been lately because of a combination of poor choices and being sick, and my doctor still hasn't cleared me to work out since a car accident I was in back in December. That last part has been rather ridiculous, but not germane to this post. I have a lot more lower body strength than upper body, so I had been maintaining lower body strength and focusing on building upper body and core when I was going to the gym regularly.

I did a lot of youth sports growing up, and acquired a lot of knee, ankle, elbow and shoulder injuries that were never really treated either because I or my coach wanted me to play through it, so some of this is residual, but most is due to weight gain.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I did ZERO steady state cardio and im down 60+lbs of fat in a year, and have gained muscle as well.

there is a great article by Alwyn Cosgrove that talks about the hierarchy of fat loss, and how steady state cardio is the least effective.
    http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/01/hierarchy-of-fat-loss/

I basically do the first two items on his list (metabolic resistance training, and High Intensity Anaerobic Interval Training).
    His wife Rachel Cosgrove wrote a book on weight loss for women that i recently purchased for my wife. its called "The female Body Breakthrough" and it shows the exercises, etc..