Protein Shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    WASTE OF MONEY!!!

This comment appears on every single protein shake related thread.

You are conveniently ingoring the fact that whey protein is actually, per gram, by FAR the cheapest source of protein you can buy.

Also it has a better amino acid profile than nearly every wholefood protein, better bioavailability, comes without the fat associated with protein sources such as red meat and eggs, and being a milk derivative actually has a good micronutrient profile (which takes care of the 'lol it's a processed food it has no vitamins and minerals' crowd).

For anyone who has a relatively high protein diet and/or lifts weights,, there realty aren't any reasons why you shouldn't include at least some whey.

Agreed! Forgot to mention, that some taste really good too. Anyone that doesn't like protein shakes has never had cake batter flavored ones, yuuuum.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    But yeah, apparently the body can only synthesize 30 g of protein per meal, but the average shake has no more than 24 g.

This is a myth.

Hmm. What makes you say that? I read about a study that concluded the body can't synthesize more than 30g in a certain time frame (i.e. meal to meal). What makes you say that conclusion was invalid?
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    WASTE OF MONEY!!!

This comment appears on every single protein shake related thread.

You are conveniently ingoring the fact that whey protein is actually, per gram, by FAR the cheapest source of protein you can buy.

Also it has a better amino acid profile than nearly every wholefood protein, better bioavailability, comes without the fat associated with protein sources such as red meat and eggs, and being a milk derivative actually has a good micronutrient profile (which takes care of the 'lol it's a processed food it has no vitamins and minerals' crowd).

For anyone who has a relatively high protein diet and/or lifts weights,, there realty aren't any reasons why you shouldn't include at least some whey.

Agreed! Forgot to mention, that some taste really good too. Anyone that doesn't like protein shakes has never had cake batter flavored ones, yuuuum.
    Who makes cake batter flavoured shakes and where can I buy it!!!! lol. YUMMY!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i never understand why people are so against protein shakes. People all over this sight eat endless sugary carbs day in and day out yet its acceptable and protein isnt? Crazy. Protein keeps you fuller - longer. There is nothing wrong with eating it - i make shakes all the time from Whey protein - its quick, easy and tastes great. My kids even love it.