Is a calorie a calorie?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

With fats you have good and bad; those you should avoid and those you should eat.

Is this the same with calories?

The reason I ask is because on occasion I've eaten or drank some stuff that isn't particularly healthy yet despite it being higher than my normal foods when I've imputed it into MFP I've still come under my daily calorie goal. The fat content of it wasn't great either but again still under my daily goal (just). Yet it doesn't seem to have affected my weight loss which, in all honestly, has slowed a bit but I expected that.

I want to lose weight an 95% of the time I stick to my daily calorie limits but on the flip side I'm not a monk and I do want to enjoy life.

Essentially if I occasionally stray into eating "naughty" foods but ensure that even then I don't go over my daily calories limits will weight loss still occur?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Calories are just calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Absolutely. I don't eat clean by any stretch of the imagination but I do make mostly health choices and still have pizza, wings or chinese take out about once a week. And I will eat chocolate if the craving strikes, I just don't gorge myself on it like I used to. As you can see by my ticker, I'm still losing. Maybe more slowly than some but I've never felt deprived and the weight continues to come off and I'm way more fit than I've been in years, which is what really matters IMHO.

The other point I'd like to make is sometimes there is a difference between quantity and quality when it comes to filling that calorie goal. I personally don't do well without a good balance of carbs and protein. Too many carbs and not enough protein and I'll get woozy and really hungry. Some folks need to watch their sodium intake because they're more susceptable to water retention if they have too much. Some folks need to watch their fat levels because of health risks. These are little tweaks you'll figure out for yourself as you go along.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Edit: Answered my own question
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    The value of a calorie is different for me between healthy foods and "bad" foods. I can eat a ton of fruit and be totally full for the same amount of calories it would have been to eat a slice of pizza (which doesn't leave me feeling full).
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member

The reason I ask is because on occasion I've eaten or drank some stuff that isn't particularly healthy yet despite it being higher than my normal foods when I've imputed it into MFP I've still come under my daily calorie goal. The fat content of it wasn't great either but again still under my daily goal (just). Yet it doesn't seem to have affected my weight loss which, in all honestly, has slowed a bit but I expected that.

I want to lose weight an 95% of the time I stick to my daily calorie limits but on the flip side I'm not a monk and I do want to enjoy life.

Essentially if I occasionally stray into eating "naughty" foods but ensure that even then I don't go over my daily calories limits will weight loss still occur?

You're approach is spot in.

Eat sensibly the vast majority of the time, and then the odd treat within your macros is fine. Plus it helps keep you sane.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    A calorie is a unit of measurement for energy. 1 calorie = 4.18400 Joules

So yes, a calorie IS a calorie.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    I struggle with understanding this as well. I used to eat 1500 calories of ice cream, Mcdonalds, and gas station food. I logged everything, worked out, and lost no weight. 1500 is under my TDEE and therefore I should have been losing. Now, when I eat 1500 calories of fruit, veggies, and healthy food, I lose the half a pound a week I'm supposed to. Sure, a calorie is a calorie, but foods full of bad fats, sugars, and processed crap did not work for me regardless of how little calories I eat of it.

they are
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Eat better for nutricional reasons though - not just weight loss
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    A calorie is a unit of measurement for energy. 1 calorie = 4.18400 Joules

So yes, a calorie IS a calorie.

^^This. The reason people see drastic results between "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods is simply their nutritional value. For example Drinking 2000 calories of beer and eating 2000 of quality whole foods has a completley different effect on your body. Your body has certain foods it will process more effeciently then others. Other than that, most people tend to just use calories as a base for setting their macros. Once you have an idea about what your macros should be, you dont even need to worry about calories, and your body will get the nutrition it needs. Having two servings of fruits and vegtables should cover your micronutrient needs
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    A calorie is just a calorie, but some calories come packaged with free benefits, like vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, fiber etc. (Fiber isn't really a freebie as it has ~2cals/gm of its own, but you get my point.) There's also nutritional benefits from some choices - like choosing Omega 3s or MCFAs instead of artificial trans fats.

In terms of weight loss only, a calorie is a calorie. In terms of nutrition, there's a lot more to it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Technically yes. But what serves your body better - a twinkie or a carton of greek yogurt??
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    A calorie is a calorie, but the effect they can have on your body means they are not all equal.

When I started, I stuck firmly to my calorie goal by taking what I thought was a fairly healthy diet and scaling it back. I was hungry a lot - I thought this was normal. My workout quality diminished - I thought this was normal. Then my weight loss slowed down.

Then I started tracking fats, carbs, and proteins as individual goals, which made me realize that my protein intake was very low, and my carbohydrate intake (and especially sugars from all the lovely healthy fruit!) was ridiculously high.

Cut some sugar, add some protein, a little tweak here, bagel out, oatmeal in, a little tweak there.... and suddenly on the same calories I wasn't hungry, my energy levels came back up, and I was losing weight again.

So, energy-wise, a calorie is a calorie. But to the body, you want a good variety of them with a good load of the right sources and the right vitamins and minerals coming along for the ride for optimal weight loss and optimal health.

EDIT TO ADD:

So, at the end of the day, am I saying you have to eat perfectly to lose weight?

I refer you to my diary, which is public. I assure you, you do NOT have to eat perfectly. You just have to do a good job most of the time and when you allow yourself to NOT do a good job just keep yourself accountable and don't go crazy.
  • Here is an example my nutritionist, Alexe, told about quantity vs quality :
    1 rice krispies square = 31 whole cucumbers.
    do we agree that after 1 cucumber you would feel as full as the rice krispies without the fat and sugar.

I think that in a longer term it will affect your weight since your body will probably want to keep some of that fat or sugar aside since it's been deprived of it.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    In terms of weight loss only, a calorie is a calorie. In terms of nutrition, there's a lot more to it.

This exactly. It depends on your goals. For weight loss, a calorie= a calorie. For optimal health and nutrition, not all calories are created equal.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Yes and no. In terms of long-term weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. In terms of how you feel day-to-day, some calories are better than others.

For example, for breakfast I had about 400 calories of carbs with very little protein or fat. I immediately felt a little nauseous, in half an hour I felt tired and groggy, and in two hours I was ravenous.

For lunch about half an hour ago, I had about 300 calories of fat and protein with very little carbs. I immediately felt full and satisfied, right now I feel full of energy and mentally alert, and in two hours I will still be comfortable, but have room for a snack if I want one.

In the end, I've had 700 calories worth of energy and they will be burned as such. But right here, right now, where I got those calories makes a difference in my day.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Here is an example my nutritionist, Alexe, told about quantity vs quality :
    do we agree that after 1 cucumber you would feel as full as the rice krispies without the fat and sugar.

I think that in a longer term it will affect your weight since your body will probably want to keep some of that fat or sugar aside since it's been deprived of it.

Hmmmm, I would check the numbers on that.
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 31 cucumber (8-1/4") 1,400 cal

That's a pretty big rice crispie treat. I think your nutritionist may have been exaggerating, or doesn't actually know their stuff!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    OY *face palm*
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    EDIT: answered my own question!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member

That's a pretty big rice crispie treat. I think your nutritionist may have been exaggerating, or doesn't actually know their stuff!

I don't know where you are getting your numbers, but a cucumber is most definitely not 1,400 calories. It's more along the lines of 50-60 calories.
    That number is for 31 cucumbers, not just 1.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    A Calorie, strictly in terms of a unit of energy for your body, doesn't matter the source. A Calorie is a Calorie. Eat at a moderate caloric deficit and your body will try to lose weight.

In terms of nutrition and how your body feels in response to the quality of foods supplying the calories is a different matter. You really need balanced nutrition to supply the vitamins, minerals, soluble and insoluble fibers and protein your body needs to function at it's best. Despite the low-carb / no-carb fad (that's my opinion of it), complex carbohydrates are good for your body as well. Everything in moderation!
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member

I don't know where you are getting your numbers, but a cucumber is most definitely not 1,400 calories. It's more along the lines of 50-60 calories.
    That number is for 31 cucumbers, not just 1.

Yeah I saw that after I posted, and can't manage to edit my post lol