Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe needed!!!

I have the big sweet italian sausages and I have never made them before and don't know what to cook with them.. or even HOW to cook them. Please help me out, I want something healthy, but good

Replies

• cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    The only thing healthy about sausage is limiting the amount you eat... I love the stuff

grill or sautee it slowly over low heat with peppers and onions- I prefer grill bc alot of excess fat renders out and its not sitting in it.

Sear then simmer in sauce and serve with rice or pasta (or better yet farro)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    whenever I have Italian sausage in the house, I always have to make sausage bread. sooooo delicious. no clue about the calories though...

Also..not sure on exact measurements...You can pretty much eye ball it.

1 can of refrigerated pizza crust
    Italian sausage
    mozzarella cheese
    medium onion
    parmesan cheese
    oregano
    garlic powder
    poppy seeds

Preheat the oven to whatever the crust says. Cook sausage and onion together until cooked. Spread out crust on a baking pan. Pour on sausage and onions (let cool or else it will be hard to roll up). Make sure you leave at least an inch on all sides. Sprinkle on oregano, garlic powder, parm, and mozzarella. Fold over the left and right side. Start from the bottom and roll up. Apply an egg wash mixture to the top and sides. Top with poppy seeds. Bake until golden brown.

Seriously delicious. I also make pepperoni bread. You can also add in just about anything. You could do chicken, black olive, mushrooms....seriously anything!
  • gma927
    gma927 Posts: 14
    We have used a recipe from Lidia Bastianich for many years that comes out delicous everytime. We just cut the recipe down to suit our calorie intake for the day. The recipe is at lidiasitaly.com and is simply called sausage and peppers. Hope this helps.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Bake with onions, peppers and potatoes! Yumm.