lowering calories?

i am not losing as quickly as i would like too, but i love food. i dont want to feel deprived or hungry all the time. i am set at 1710 calories plus exercise. i usually burn about 400 calories. i dont eat them all back. to account for error i leave between 100-200 calories. my BMR is 1480 and i usually net around 1500-1600 calories. on sunday, my rest day, i stick to the 1710. (usually under by about 50 calories this day) i have lost a small amount and my measurements have gone down. since january (the end of my bulk, i have went down a pant size. i went up 2 sizes during my bulk)

So should i contuine eating this amount and just wait it out? (i have been trying to lose the excess fat i gained doing a bulk where i ate to much above TDEE since january) or should i go lower to aid in getting better results?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    i am not losing as quickly as i would like too, but i love food. i dont want to feel deprived or hungry all the time. i am set at 1710 calories plus exercise. i usually burn about 400 calories. i dont eat them all back. to account for error i leave between 100-200 calories. my BMR is 1480 and i usually net around 1500-1600 calories. on sunday, my rest day, i stick to the 1710. (usually under by about 50 calories this day) i have lost a small amount and my measurements have gone down. since january (the end of my bulk, i have went down a pant size. i went up 2 sizes during my bulk)

So should i contuine eating this amount and just wait it out? (i have been trying to lose the excess fat i gained doing a bulk where i ate to much above TDEE since january) or should i go lower to aid in getting better results?

Lowering calories does NOT always result in quicker weight loss. And the closer to your goal, the HARDER it will be to lose weight. What are you doing for exercise?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    First look at your diary sez: Protein has spent too much time in the green for too long, especially for someone whose stated goal is to up muscle mass. Maybe try keeping your overall calories about the same, and up your proteins a bit?

Also, if you want more muscle, how much lifting and resistance/core is in your workout regimen?
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Lowering calories does NOT always result in quicker weight loss. And the closer to your goal, the HARDER it will be to lose weight. What are you doing for exercise?
    [/quote]

i lift heavy 5x a week seperate muscle groups followed by a 20 min cardio session (either steady state cardio or HIIT) thursdays i do spin for 45min, and sunday is rest day.
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member

^^ This. Likely you will be much better off incorporating some weights into your workouts if you don't already or changing up your exercise routine if you do something fairly static week over week. Lowering your calories to a point where you are always hungry is just going to cause you to be more prone to cheating and getting frustrated.
  • timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Question. What numbers did you use for your lifestyle to get your TDEE? In order to be set at 1700 calories with a BMR of 1480, you'd have to be using the moderate or highly active multiplier. This is okay, but you then can't track your exercise as calories burned on MFP. Those calories are already counted in that multiplier. You need to be eating around 1300 on rest days and 1500-1600 on workout days if you want to lose 1 pound per week, and that is total calories not net. This is likely the problem your having, your pretty much eating at just below maintenance, you need a bigger deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    If you are looking to cut, I would aim for 1850 calories a day. Also, you shouldn't mix cardio and weight training as it can leave your body fighting for resources to repair itself. This is especially true when aiming to gain muscle (see link below). 1850 would be the total calories that you should eat every day. If you want, consolidate your WT and do 4 days of that, 2 HIIT or 1HIIT and 1 yoga/flexibility training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/504130-why-i-m-not-for-cardio-and-resistance-concurrently
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Question. What numbers did you use for your lifestyle to get your TDEE? In order to be set at 1700 calories with a BMR of 1480, you'd have to be using the moderate or highly active multiplier. This is okay, but you then can't track your exercise as calories burned on MFP. Those calories are already counted in that multiplier. You need to be eating around 1300 on rest days and 1500-1600 on workout days if you want to lose 1 pound per week, and that is total calories not net. This is likely the problem your having, your pretty much eating at just below maintenance, you need a bigger deficit.

i have used multiple online calculators and trial and error. i believe my TDEE is around 2300. i am set to lightly active on MFP. as i have two young kids and i am a bartender. i would be happy with .5lb loss a week so i can eat a bit more.